Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Would Bank of America ever come up with a "premium" card?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Would Bank of America ever come up with a "premium" card?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2017, 10:02 am

Doc site

Rumor looks like this
Attached Images  
Old Aug 9, 2017, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
$95 AF is hardly "premium" though.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 12:54 pm

Programs: Amex, JPMR, Nexus
This is good as far as the points go if you have 100k or more with them but what about the other benefits? You can't expect much for $95 AF besides the $100 reimbursement. Merrill Octave is still the card for perks here.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 2:44 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
How is this better than a BofA Business Advantage Travel Rewards World Mastercard? That earns 3/1.5 with similar relationship bonuses, right? I guess this card also earns extra points on dining, but that's about it, and there are better dining cards out there (e.g. CSR) anyway.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by milypan
How is this better than a BofA Business Advantage Travel Rewards World Mastercard? That earns 3/1.5 with similar relationship bonuses, right? I guess this card also earns extra points on dining, but that's about it, and there are better dining cards out there (e.g. CSR) anyway.
Doesn't the BofA business earn 1.5 only and no preferred earnings. I heard BofA going to have preferred business customer earning in the fall. When I called about my business card, he said to check in the fall
Old Aug 9, 2017, 4:53 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by trikotret
Doesn't the BofA business earn 1.5 only and no preferred earnings. I heard BofA going to have preferred business customer earning in the fall. When I called about my business card, he said to check in the fall
I'm just going off what's listed at https://www.bankofamerica.com/smallb...s-credit-card/ and then the related discussion on this forum.

Oh, I see that you have to book travel through their Orbitz portal, so the travel category is somewhat more restrictive.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by milypan
I'm just going off what's listed at https://www.bankofamerica.com/smallb...s-credit-card/ and then the related discussion on this forum.

Oh, I see that you have to book travel through their Orbitz portal, so the travel category is somewhat more restrictive.
Where did those cards come from. They look new lol

Edit: same card just new design

Last edited by trikotret; Aug 9, 2017 at 5:21 pm
Old Aug 9, 2017, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by mia
I think this is a defensive strategy. US Bank (example) sees an uptick in payments from their customers' checking accounts to Chase or Citi, and they become concerned that Chase or Citi will poach their entire banking relationship. These second tier issuers aren't trying to use premium cards to attract customers, but rather to show their existing clients that there is "no need" to bank with Chase or Citi to get competitive card perqs. They do not have this concern when they see payments to American Express, and they do not aspire to issue cards (in volume) to customers who are not depositors.
I think you're right. I started talking to my local Chase branch guy about credit cards when we saw in-branch Chase credit card offers. I opened up a token $10k biz checking account to assist in CC approval.

He called a few months later to set up a meeting, and I wanted to preserve the amicable relationship. Turns out they poached the Merrill Edge banker from their local BofA. Next thing I know, I'm being upsold on moving assets from BofA/Merrill to Chase Private Client. I never would have set foot in the Chase branch, much less considered moving my entire banking relationship, without Chase's lucrative credit card programs.

But now that BofA card details have leaked, Chase declined my CSR due to 5/24, and even moving $100k+ to Chase isn't a guarantee of approval, this BofA card is a reasonable substitute at 0.035% back on dining/travel. Or more if that travel portal thing is a possibility.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 10:45 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by ralphs
Chase declined my CSR due to 5/24, and even moving $100k+ to Chase isn't a guarantee of approval
Good, Chase shouldn't play favorites and give certain people cards just because they have $100,000 in the bank. Everyone should have to play by the 5/24 rule.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 6:47 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
Can anyone here talk to how much of a pain redemption is of Bank of America points? Can you redeem on a bunch of airlines & hotels? I dont have a BAC CC now. I am interested in the September debut of the Premium Rewards card (2.6-3.5 pts per dollar if you are Platnium Honors with account balances) but I guess cash redemption is only $0.006 per point? That's not good.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by redcross
Can anyone here talk to how much of a pain redemption is of Bank of America points? Can you redeem on a bunch of airlines & hotels? I dont have a BAC CC now. I am interested in the September debut of the Premium Rewards card (2.6-3.5 pts per dollar if you are Platnium Honors with account balances) but I guess cash redemption is only $0.006 per point? That's not good.
It's simple. You just need to redeem at 2500 points at a time against travel charges. This card is for travel expenses redemption and not straight cash
Old Aug 12, 2017, 7:17 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
Thanks- what do you get? If you want a Delta ticket, do you redeem 10,000 points and get a $100 travel voucher on Delta?
Old Aug 12, 2017, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by redcross
Thanks- what do you get? If you want a Delta ticket, do you redeem 10,000 points and get a $100 travel voucher on Delta?
Just pay for the ticket and you can redeem points against it for a year.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by trikotret
Just pay for the ticket and you can redeem points against it for a year.
That's the best part about this card. You get to buy directly with airline and hotel getting lowest price and maximum loyalty benefits. Although the new premium version is not really doing anything for me. It's not much better than the regular BofA Travel Reward card since I already have the CSR.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 9:43 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by Need
That's the best part about this card. You get to buy directly with airline and hotel getting lowest price and maximum loyalty benefits.
^ Agreed. While we'd all like to transfer credit card earned points to loyalty programs for international premium cabin redemptions, some of us simply don't have the ability to plan around award availability and sometimes it's just easier to redeem for revenue tickets. Two more recent downsides of the Citi TY and Chase UR portals for air travel redemption are (a) avoiding basic economy, which doesn't seem possible currently and (b) losing out on EQDs when the ticket price/distance flown combination is not advantageous when the fare is coded as bulk/special. There's definitely something to be said for being able to buy a ticket directly from the airline and going back and requesting a statement credit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.