Wiki Posts
Search

Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2022, 9:52 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Majuki
some ATM operators charge almost usurious rates for using their machines.
thats usually the case with 3rd party ATM operators

There's also the practice of adding a fee only if one declines DCC, as demonstrated in this video.
Ohh , its euronet .... fun fact , they own XE.com and RiA

2 things i like with them
  1. they usually accept amex
  2. they signed contracts with smaller banks who dont want to invest in offices + atm , so the customers of these banks can withdraw from euronet's ATM for free
.Besides that , if i see yellow/blue colors it help me recognize them from far away , so i can avoid them and not get scammed

Originally Posted by HkCaGu
In the Dominican Republic in early February 2021, the RIU booking quoted me US$504. I arrived to sign some paper receipt large amount of DOP, and the transaction eventually posted as US$504.69. Nothing fishy there. DCC was not offered. I guess it would be stupid to present a USD amount that was obviously much higher than a reservation booking. (RIU is a Spanish company.)
In some cases in DR , you have shops where the DCC is enabled by default on the terminals , and judging by the face cashiers/bartenders do when i ask them to pay without dcc , you can be sure that consumer rights is the least of their concerns

I would simply recommend anyone to arrive in DR with cash (USD or EUR) and change it in town or withdraw big amount of DOP in one time , cause many places dont accept cards and some when they do accept card

Last edited by fifty_two; Mar 24, 2022 at 10:26 am
Old Jul 14, 2022, 4:57 am

Programs: Aeroflot Bonus, British Airways Executive Club
What's worse is contactless is no longer a reliable protection against DCC. I assume you didn't have control of the terminal for the transaction?

I know this is after the fact, but in such a case I would ask the merchant to void the transaction. If the merchant refused, I'd indicate on the receipt and/or file a chargeback.

Now that international travel is picking up again we have to be vigilant for DCC for the first time in up to two years.

This shop advertise DCC at its door

I used Google Pay to pay the bill and the terminal offered DCC which I immediately refused it.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 8:44 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by miklcct

I used Google Pay to pay the bill and the terminal offered DCC which I immediately refused it.
For those not familiar with Polish, loosely translated (I believe) sign says here you pay with mobile and telephone.

DCC is pretty obvious
Old Jul 14, 2022, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid
For those not familiar with Polish, loosely translated (I believe) sign says here you pay with mobile and telephone.
DCC is pretty obvious
No need for snark. The OP probably meant the other text on the door "Pay in your currency".
Old Jul 14, 2022, 6:38 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by miklcct

How did you refuse it, demanding local currency instead?
Old Jul 14, 2022, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by MaxVO
No need for snark. The OP probably meant the other text on the door "Pay in your currency".
Snark not intended.

Sorry you were offended.

Suspect most would not recognize Polish letters when they see them
MaxVO and 36902BRF like this.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 9:10 am

DCC is pretty obvious
You mean of course here you pay with card and telephone, right? Yes, sadly from what I've seen on this forum Poland is one of those places where DCC is rampant. I've only been there as a transit stop so never had a chance to experience it myself, but it's definitely telling that the Złoty symbol isn't even pictured, as if it weren't an option
Majuki likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by dmapr
You mean of course here you pay with card and telephone, right? Yes, sadly from what I've seen on this forum Poland is one of those places where DCC is rampant. I've only been there as a transit stop so never had a chance to experience it myself, but it's definitely telling that the Złoty symbol isn't even pictured, as if it weren't an option
Bolding mine.

Yes, of course ......

I was in Poland several years ago, and don't recall running into DCC. Then again, I used points for the hotel (the good old days of 5K stays at IHG properties, RIP).

IIRC primarily paid cash for food except at supermarkets. And public transport accepted CCs at machine at bus / tram stop
dmapr likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 12:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
I was in Poland several years ago, and don't recall running into DCC.
Poland has been among the worst offenders for DCC for the past 4 or 5 years based on the reports here. There's certainly a self-selection process on FlyerTalk, but the country comes up frequently.

For instance, I just got back from 5 weeks in Australia. While DCC is definitely present in Australia these days, I never saw it by tapping my payments 100% of the time. I either used points or paid with Amex for hotels, so I didn't see DCC there either.
percysmith, MaxVO, dmapr and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Poland has been among the worst offenders for DCC for the past 4 or 5 years based on the reports here. There's certainly a self-selection process on FlyerTalk, but the country comes up frequently.

For instance, I just got back from 5 weeks in Australia. While DCC is definitely present in Australia these days, I never saw it by tapping my payments 100% of the time. I either used points or paid with Amex for hotels, so I didn't see DCC there either.
So tapping is the safest way to avoid DCC in Australia? I'll be heading back to Sydney later this year and I want to use cards as much as I can. AMEX seems pretty useless outside of hotels, but no DCC at all with them?
Old Jul 16, 2022, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lsquare
So tapping is the safest way to avoid DCC in Australia? I'll be heading back to Sydney later this year and I want to use cards as much as I can. AMEX seems pretty useless outside of hotels, but no DCC at all with them?
Correct. Only Visa and MC are subject to DCC with MC being slightly more favorable to the consumer by having a buyer's remorse provision for DCC. By tapping my card I didn't see DCC, but I know for a fact it's been prevalent since around 2016. My first time seeing it was at a cafe in Brisbane 8 years ago (and I reported on it here in the previous thread). I've done trial transactions on previous trips where I try the same card on the same terminal via chip-and-signature, contactless with the card (no signature), and contactless via mobile device (Google pay, no signature). The DCC prompt would only appear when doing the chip-and-signature transaction, but it was easy to opt out if you were aware of what was happening. There should not be a situation in Australia where you do not control the terminal, so you can manage the DCC prompts.

The only thing unfortunately that's nearly ubiquitous these days is the 1-1.5% credit card surcharge. I justify it by using a card with no foreign transaction fee and 1.5-4.5x rewards (on a Chase Sapphire Reserve with a 50% bonus on redemptions) for the categories of my spend, so it's a breakeven in the worst case. Even at 1x, you're probably still breaking even with respect to exchange rate fluctuations.
lsquare and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Correct. Only Visa and MC are subject to DCC with MC being slightly more favorable to the consumer by having a buyer's remorse provision for DCC. By tapping my card I didn't see DCC, but I know for a fact it's been prevalent since around 2016. My first time seeing it was at a cafe in Brisbane 8 years ago (and I reported on it here in the previous thread). I've done trial transactions on previous trips where I try the same card on the same terminal via chip-and-signature, contactless with the card (no signature), and contactless via mobile device (Google pay, no signature). The DCC prompt would only appear when doing the chip-and-signature transaction, but it was easy to opt out if you were aware of what was happening. There should not be a situation in Australia where you do not control the terminal, so you can manage the DCC prompts.

The only thing unfortunately that's nearly ubiquitous these days is the 1-1.5% credit card surcharge. I justify it by using a card with no foreign transaction fee and 1.5-4.5x rewards (on a Chase Sapphire Reserve with a 50% bonus on redemptions) for the categories of my spend, so it's a breakeven in the worst case. Even at 1x, you're probably still breaking even with respect to exchange rate fluctuations.
I agree and I used my CC as much as I could despite the surcharge. I even got A$50 from the ATM and never had to use it as Sydney can be mostly cashless. I hate the surcharge, but if I do break even then it's still better than having cash. The only disappointing thing is that AMEX has a very low acceptance rate. It's mostly Visa and MC.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 11:35 am

Last month I went back to Canada for the first time in 3 years. Stopped in a Canadian TD bank near the US border and was surprised the ATM offered DCC. Very easy to decline of course. Didn't encounter DCC anywhere else on the trip , but there were plenty of signs in Niagara Falls ON stating that US$ was accepted (at a worse rate of course)
Majuki likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by restrictonthehanger
[T]here were plenty of signs in Niagara Falls ON stating that US$ was accepted...
Depending on the merchant and exchange rate it hasn't always a bad deal historically (but typically was). For instance, I'd always do a quick calculation for the Blue Water Bridge toll to see if it made more sense to pay in CAD or USD. It probably evened out in the long term, but the occasional arbitrage was fun.

Now with 0% FTF credit and debit cards, it's always in your interest to use local currency, either cash or card, outside of the corner cases of abrupt changes in the exchange rate.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 12:04 pm

Last time I visited Montreal before covid, shops there accepted USD at a better rate than the market. in any case, it's not DCC when the whole transaction is negotiable.
Majuki likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.