Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: storewanderer
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2019, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ateng
I was told that it would come Q3/Q4, but only for Visa branded cards. The bank teller said there was no mention of MasterCard.
I wonder if this will coinside with BofA enabling contactless ATM use with non BofA cards. Doesn't look like any bank with those allows that yet.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So apparently Walgreens takes Alipay now--and not just in tourist areas, either. Think it'll end up opening to Americans at some point?
Old Apr 1, 2019, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Huh. So the VIVOpay contactless readers are still being made. Either that or Tender Greens found some somewhere. At least these ones actually have the contactless logo and card branding, unlike the others.

(Their newly opened location here uses them just like at all of their others thus far.)
Old Apr 1, 2019, 1:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tmiw
Huh. So the VIVOpay contactless readers are still being made. Either that or Tender Greens found some somewhere. At least these ones actually have the contactless logo and card branding, unlike the others.

(Their newly opened location here uses them just like at all of their others thus far.)
I believe some of them were EMV contactless compatible, so I guess there isn't a reason to stop using them.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by reclusive46
I believe some of them were EMV contactless compatible, so I guess there isn't a reason to stop using them.
Perhaps. I would have figured Tender Greens would have been forced to go to contact EMV though in order to keep taking Apple Pay, but if they're still building them and there's not enough fraud loses, why not?
Old Apr 1, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Perhaps. I would have figured Tender Greens would have been forced to go to contact EMV though in order to keep taking Apple Pay, but if they're still building them and there's not enough fraud loses, why not?
I’m ok with this as long as there’s Apple Pay.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Press release today: Wells Fargo Accelerates Customer Checkout Experience with New Tap-to-Pay Contactless Cards

Although this paragraph seems weird to me. Wouldn't people already be able to tap their debit cards once they get them? Or did WF actually limit it to mobile wallets before and not solely their own cards?

In addition to purchases or payments, this fall Wells Fargo customers will be able to “tap” their Wells Fargo Debit Cards with the contactless feature to initiate a transaction at Wells Fargo’s ATMs that display the contactless symbol, including most of the company’s more than 13,000 ATMs. The ability to use a contactless debit card to “tap” and initiate an ATM transaction uses the same near-field communication (NFC) functionality Wells Fargo introduced in October 2017, which also allows Wells Fargo customers to use a digital wallet to initiate an ATM transaction. Today, more than 10,000 ATMs (75 percent of the network) have digital wallet access, and the remaining will be enabled by the end of this year.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by diburning
I don't remember if I mentioned this, but Safeway will roll out a fix on April 2. I have no idea whether the rollout will be staggered, but I have a "pet" store that I'll keep an eye on to see what happens.
Is it happening? I may stop by later today.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by mrcobra92
So this is a little strange, Citi is now advertising Contactless cards on their website.
I just asked Citi CS again. They said the only cards with contactless today are Rewards+ cards issued after Feb 24 and Costco Anywhere. I've gotten misinformation from them in the past so take that Rewards+ bit with appropriate grains of salt.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA
Press release today: Wells Fargo Accelerates Customer Checkout Experience with New Tap-to-Pay Contactless Cards

Although this paragraph seems weird to me. Wouldn't people already be able to tap their debit cards once they get them? Or did WF actually limit it to mobile wallets before and not solely their own cards?
I think they mean that customers were limited to using only mobile wallets before, because the actual debit cards didn't have the wireless capability.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vanillabean
MC with Google Pay worked at mine tonight. However, I don't know if they ever reverted after their first attempt at fixing it.

Originally Posted by HotelHacker
I think they mean that customers were limited to using only mobile wallets before, because the actual debit cards didn't have the wireless capability.
I get that much, but why not have ATMs supporting them right when they come out?
Old Apr 2, 2019, 10:47 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
MC with Google Pay worked at mine tonight. However, I don't know if they ever reverted after their first attempt at fixing it.
Good to hear. No, Amex on Apple Pay didn’t work for me today at Safeway, got “not authorized”.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 3:16 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I went to an HMart the other day (See my post in the EMV thread) and the pin pads all had labels on them that said "Mobile Payment Works with SAMSUNG Only!" I wonder what they broke? Apple Pay worked fine before.

Originally Posted by vanillabean

I don't know. I haven't heard anything further. I'll give it a try later today. Safeway doesn't seem to announce changes anymore unless it affects cashier workflow or if action is required of the front end manager/bookkeeper.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:43 am

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by HotelHacker
Should say again.

They had it before, removed it when EMV was put in, and now they’re putting it back on their debit cards.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by diburning
I went to an HMart the other day (See my post in the EMV thread) and the pin pads all had labels on them that said "Mobile Payment Works with SAMSUNG Only!" I wonder what they broke? Apple Pay worked fine before.
Samsung-only makes me think they broke NFC entirely, and Samsung Pay works only via MST.
scibot likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.