Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: storewanderer
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2019, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by IslesFan
I'm still curious what the plan is for Long Island RR and Metro North RR(right now it's Apple Pay via the MTA eTix App).
The current schedule has "eTix 2.0" launching in 2021 alongside the new OMNY contactless card with full phaseout of the LIRR/MNR ticketing systems in 2023. I'm guessing this app and card will talk to the same backend and eventually the railroad conductors will get contactless readers? A few months ago I found a doc on the MTA's website with more schedule and implementation details but I can't find it now.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 4:01 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by tmiw
The only Citi card that I know of that's black is the Fuel Rewards one. It'd make sense that the current one has it considering that the old Comenity one had the contactless symbol on the front. I can't find any good photos of the back to confirm though.
So the Prestige and the AA Executive aren't good cards?
Old Mar 28, 2019, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
So the Prestige and the AA Executive aren't good cards?
I was referring to the color of the physical card, of which the Fuel Rewards one is the closest to being completely black (though those others are fairly dark colored as well).
Old Mar 28, 2019, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by RedLight2015
Took a long time but everything is finally enabled at Culver’s. Oh and they have MX915s now
A local Culver's did not have mx915s but they did have same registers.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I found a Taco Bell in my county on the MC map just now. Might be worth a visit in a bit since I haven't had dinner yet. If I do, I'll update with more details.

EDIT: insert/swipe only on the self order kiosks though I don't expect anything different at the manned registers.

Last edited by tmiw; Mar 29, 2019 at 9:34 pm
Old Mar 30, 2019, 12:21 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by tmiw
I found a Taco Bell in my county on the MC map just now. Might be worth a visit in a bit since I haven't had dinner yet. If I do, I'll update with more details.

EDIT: insert/swipe only on the self order kiosks though I don't expect anything different at the manned registers.
Taco Bell Gardnerville, NV: insert/swipe only on self order kiosk. Canceled and went to a staffed register and ordered. Also insert/swipe only there...
Old Mar 30, 2019, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by storewanderer
Taco Bell Gardnerville, NV: insert/swipe only on self order kiosk. Canceled and went to a staffed register and ordered. Also insert/swipe only there...
Perhaps it's left over from when Taco Bell supposedly enabled contactless at the same time as EMV at a few locations? Hopefully they actually enable it again soon.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Turns out the Salvation Army stores do support everything and not just swipe/EMV. Unfortunately, it declined when I tapped my Diners Club MC (and actually sent out for authorization, too; I got the account alert text from BMO Harris a short time later). I didn't try Google Pay but the cashier told me that he "uses it with his phone all the time".

The weird thing is that the MX915 was running Elavon software. Until today I've never had problems with their stuff, at least when using a phone. (Last time I checked with a Costco Visa and one of their iSC250s, it rejected the read--but that's not surprising since the card has no MSD support.)

Anyway, I'll update the EMV map to reflect that they actually do support contactless.

BTW the declined receipt that they gave me has no EMV info on it. Is that normal? Assuming they actually do support EMV contactless, of course.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 2:38 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
When will Bank of America start issuing contactless cards? They should be on par with Chase when it comes to technology.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 4:34 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Looks as if this is as of February 2019:

Bank of America:
A representative for Bank of America confirmed that the issuer does not offer contactless cards.
https://www.creditcards.com/credit-c...-us-market.php
Old Mar 31, 2019, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by storewanderer
ha I was just at a TB earlier today. No contactless there yet. I also noticed that the local Jack in the Box is now in the Google Pay locator index so maybe they're finally on board as well.

Also Google pay worked at Vons today too.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
Looks as if this is as of February 2019:

https://www.creditcards.com/credit-c...-us-market.php
I think the question is more about when exactly they will, since this article claims "this year".

BTW BofA offers contactless for corporate cards already but apparently only outside the US.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 5:26 pm

Had an annoying experience with PA state alcohol store. They have new terminals, which are annoying to use - ingenico that look cumbersome. But anyway, before anything, you are instructed to hit "red for credit and green for debit", then amount displayed shows up, you have to hit "green" and only then "Insert/Tap/Swipe" pops up. Tried tapping my Chase Freedom card, said "ICC error. Insert chip". Went through on chip only. Attempted to do it for another transaction with Google Pay and it worked fine. Clerk said "Apple pay has been working but other things not so much".
Old Mar 31, 2019, 5:29 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
My thinking is that if Bank of America had something to announce in February the spokesperson would have mentioned it when responding to that question. This will change in due course.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
When will Bank of America start issuing contactless cards? They should be on par with Chase when it comes to technology.
I was told that it would come Q3/Q4, but only for Visa branded cards. The bank teller said there was no mention of MasterCard.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.