Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: storewanderer
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2019, 12:35 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by Majuki
This is still the case as well at the Cupertino Safeway with Discover via Google Pay.
Used Contactless American Express twice again the past couple days at my nearby Safeway. EMV Contactless and no problem.

Ventured to a different Safeway today. Tried it. "Not Authorized."

Oh well.

I assume they will get it right some day. At least they are ahead of Kroger?
Old Mar 24, 2019, 2:31 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I don't remember if I mentioned this, but Safeway will roll out a fix on April 2. I have no idea whether the rollout will be staggered, but I have a "pet" store that I'll keep an eye on to see what happens.
danpeake likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by D582
Before Quick Chip, outside of some transit use cases, these amounts should never have been different. The final amount settled could be more or less, but matching the signed amount with the authorised amount provided additional assurances over the transactions’s integrity. Especially true for contactless. Quick Chip introduces vulnerabilities because issuers now have to de-emphasise this risk parameter with the end result being of more fraudulent transactions being approved.
I wonder how common that kind of fraud actually is, though. I suspect it's not that common but I don't know for sure.

Also, I'd expect US transactions to rank high risk-wise even without QC considering that fraud rates are still very high here.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 11:59 pm

Did MC finally fix the ctls locator it seems they may finally have done so as it seems pretty full now. It also seems Phillips 66 now forces all passport locations to support ctls. Bucky's P66 stations do and so does this place called Petro Mart two different owners yet both support it now so that is why I think they may be forcing it on all locations.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Apple announced just now that Apple Pay support will be available on Portland, Chicago and NYC's transit systems later this year. I get that they were talking about having the actual transit cards in the phone, but it's still a bit amusing considering that you can already use your regular credit or debit card with the first two.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 12:20 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
I have happily been using the Ventra app’s Apple Pay during my most recent couple of trips to Chicago and look forward to having the one week NYC subway pass on my phone. The San Diego one day pass by the way worked quite well for me earlier this month. Will probably use the three day tourist pass in Singapore though.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 9:24 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Ok going to sign up for that Apple credit card as soon as it’s available and make it my main card. Secondary card would be my Skymiles. I’m ready for this!
Old Mar 25, 2019, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scibot
Did MC finally fix the ctls locator it seems they may finally have done so as it seems pretty full now.
Yeah, it's updated here too. It's missing some of the very recent activations, however (such as Applebee's).

Originally Posted by scibot
It also seems Phillips 66 now forces all passport locations to support ctls. Bucky's P66 stations do and so does this place called Petro Mart two different owners yet both support it now so that is why I think they may be forcing it on all locations.
Speaking of this, I've only found two 76 stations in my area with upgraded card readers outside. Neither had EMV enabled outside. One is a combo 76/Circle K that also didn't have contactless enabled inside, while I didn't bother going in the other one to check (though it does show up on the MC map).

As for Mobil, no EMV outside there either.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 11:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by RedLight2015
Ok going to sign up for that Apple credit card as soon as it’s available and make it my main card. Secondary card would be my Skymiles. I’m ready for this!
What did they offer, like points or cash back rate?
Old Mar 26, 2019, 12:05 am

So this is a little strange, Citi is now advertising Contactless cards on their website. This is a screen grab from their site taken today. Link here
https://citicards.citi.com/usc/LPACA...33C7DB2A9EAE52

Old Mar 26, 2019, 5:42 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by mrcobra92
So this is a little strange, Citi is now advertising Contactless cards on their website....
A great find.

There doesn't seem to be contactless information on the Double Cash's page, or the Prestige's page - nor could I find it on the Rewards+ page this morning.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 6:55 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by mrcobra92
So this is a little strange....
Not strange. Any bank with significant retail presence in NYC is likely to offer contactless due to transit acceptance.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:57 am

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by wco81
What did they offer, like points or cash back rate?
3 % Cash back Apple Store purchases
2 % Cash back Purchases made with Apple Pay
1 % Cash back purchases made with physical card.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
A great find.

There doesn't seem to be contactless information on the Double Cash's page, or the Prestige's page - nor could I find it on the Rewards+ page this morning.
Citi-issued Costco Visas have contactless. Maybe they're spreading it to other cards starting with their newly issued ones first...
Old Mar 26, 2019, 11:04 am

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Originally Posted by danpeake
Citi-issued Costco Visas have contactless. Maybe they're spreading it to other cards starting with their newly issued ones first...
Mastercard said Citi is supposed to be contactless within the next two years. This would obviously not refer to Costco co-brand because that is on Visa. So, it's coming...

https://www.digitaltransactions.net/...ard-bandwagon/
https://www.fool.com/earnings/call-t...-call-tra.aspx

Does Capital One issue any replacement or new cards without contactless anymore? I know some of the cards did not have the newer design (no card numbers on front), but I didn't know if that was a requirement to get the contactless chip as well.

Along these lines WF and BofA should have more contactless Visa cards out there later in 2019.
https://www.fool.com/earnings/call-t...ranscript.aspx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.