Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: storewanderer
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2018, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by akr1970akr
Do you think US Bank would have issues with putting an AR card on an Apple Watch, iPhone, and Nexus 5x ?

Multiple Devices and Apple Pay & GPay?

I'm trying to figure out if we can live with just one card for P1 and P2, without paying up for an AU card.
Considering that there are legitimate reasons to have the same card on multiple devices (for instance, on a newer MacBook Pro and an iPhone) and that the ____ Pay enrollment process only needs the card details and maybe 2FA, I'm not sure US Bank could restrict it even if they wanted to.

That said, NFC acceptance in the US is still not 100% so you may still need an AU card depending on your spending.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 5:20 pm

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
Thanks for that. We've got enough cards that I'm not worried about not having something to pay with.

I'm hoping yugi chimes in here - they seem to be an expert on mobile/USB AR
Old Sep 10, 2018, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh yeah, while I was leaving where I ate lunch today I heard a customer at the counter go into some sort of rant about Apple Pay and its support. I didn't catch anywhere near all of it but it sounded like he wanted to use it everywhere. (Maybe he was surprised that the restaurant had Clover Minis?)

Progress, at least.

BTW physical AmEx contactless ran extremely quickly there, possibly faster than I remember it running.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 12:25 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Stopped by my local HMart today. It looks like they've changed their POS software. They're using the Toshiba SurePOS Ace system. It looks like the one that Supervalu used circa 2007.

They still have the same MX925s, but the screens are different. Every screen now shows "Powered by Index" in the middle of the screen.

Contactless Amex appears to be MSD.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by diburning
Stopped by my local HMart today. It looks like they've changed their POS software. They're using the Toshiba SurePOS Ace system. It looks like the one that Supervalu used circa 2007.

They still have the same MX925s, but the screens are different. Every screen now shows "Powered by Index" in the middle of the screen.

Contactless Amex appears to be MSD.
I feel like HMart has had that setup for a while now, or at least mine does anyway. The silly thing about it is that I still get a paper receipt despite opting for an emailed one.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 8:37 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Prior to the change, my local HMart used some older version of the Toshiba SurePOS (4690) with a gray color scheme (the current version they are using is blue), and the MX925s had generic gray screens instead of the current blue ones indicating Index as the provider.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Alon 7-Elevens apparently use a similar UI on their MX915s as the Mobil/Circle K gas stations in San Diego. The main difference is that the four lights appear immediately; cashier input isn't required for contactless. MSD-only, however.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scibot
I went to Village Inn today and they have Verifone VX820 with everything enabled but I forgot my phone so I used my physical Amex ctls card and it worked great. Had the dots actually green squares and the contactless logo too. Here is the kicker though the card info on the receipt looks like Trader Joe's or Whole Foods showing RXXXX EPS Sequence etc so I believe it to be MSD contactless only.
So the Village Inn that I went to this morning in Albuquerque showed nothing on the display. The server told me that that's actually normal until after insert. Does contactless still work at the one near you?
Old Sep 14, 2018, 10:48 am

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by tmiw
So the Village Inn that I went to this morning in Albuquerque showed nothing on the display. The server told me that that's actually normal until after insert. Does contactless still work at the one near you?
Did it show Welcome, or was the screen blacked out?
Old Sep 14, 2018, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RedLight2015
Did it show Welcome, or was the screen blacked out?
It looked no different than the idle screen, which itself said Welcome. After inserting, the progress wheel appeared and spun for a couple of seconds before asking for tip.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Discover released this year's debit report. The good news:

The bad news:

The most concerning is this quote from the above link:

“We are just offering mobile wallets for convenience and to keep up with our peers, but we are not necessarily encouraging consumers to use these wallets.”
However, since the above data is from before CVS, 7-Eleven and Costco enabled contactless, maybe next year's will be significantly better.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 1:10 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by tmiw
Discover released this year's debit report. The good news:

The bad news:

The most concerning is this quote from the above link:

However, since the above data is from before CVS, 7-Eleven and Costco enabled contactless, maybe next year's will be significantly better.
Of course they aren't going to encourage customers to use the mobile wallets. A cut of processing fees goes to Apple in that case... and that is exactly why they will need to give consumers contactless cards. Because it functions quickly and easily like the mobile wallets do. Everywhere I shop on a regular basis offers NFC except Kroger. There is that twice a month or so visit to Wal Mart where there is also no NFC but the everyday stuff is all NFC these days.

I am also very encouraged by the increased number of EMV contactless happening in the US. That mitigates all security concerns.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by storewanderer
Of course they aren't going to encourage customers to use the mobile wallets. A cut of processing fees goes to Apple in that case... and that is exactly why they will need to give consumers contactless cards. Because it functions quickly and easily like the mobile wallets do. Everywhere I shop on a regular basis offers NFC except Kroger. There is that twice a month or so visit to Wal Mart where there is also no NFC but the everyday stuff is all NFC these days.

I am also very encouraged by the increased number of EMV contactless happening in the US. That mitigates all security concerns.
The original argument for Apple Pay was that the lower fraud costs would outweigh the 0.15% or whatever per transaction that issuers would need to give them. Of course, considering its low use, I'm not sure that's exactly panned out. Nor am I sure it ever will pan out that way considering issuers and networks in the US don't seem to care about CVM.

Anyway, the real sign something's wrong will probably be if/when an issuer kills AP support. Most likely a small bank or credit union, since I'm not sure one of the top 10 is going to want to risk the bad PR.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 11:13 pm

I didn't realize the percentage for Samsung and Google was so damn low.

Then again, neither is really pushed by their owners compared to Apple.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PKCorey
I didn't realize the percentage for Samsung and Google was so damn low.

Then again, neither is really pushed by their owners compared to Apple.
It doesn't help that the exact setup process on Android depends on the OEM, unlike Apple which can guarantee that everyone setting up their new devices will at least hear about Apple Pay.

However, I occasionally hear of Google Play offers for using Google Pay at stores X number of times. Capital One also recently had a statement credit offer to convince people to add their cards to Google Pay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.