Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: storewanderer
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2018, 10:57 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite/Lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by RedLight2015

Now come on stupid CVS
I still get that feeling they’re gonna drag their feet on that as much as possible.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 11:56 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, SK Diamond, ITA Volare Club Executive, TK Elite
What's wrong with Walmart? Why're they not offering contactless payment? Instead they're using some bs QR crap.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 12:58 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by tmiw
I knew it was too good to be true. For some reason I thought those were only in the OKC area.

Speaking of 7-Eleven and Verifone though, there is one around here that uses MX915s (previously iSC250 like all the others, then briefly switched to iSC350s after their gas pumps got swapped out). Still no contactless and I think it's actually a bit slower than the Ingenicos.
The Alon 7-Elevens in NM/TX are still real 7-Elevens, they just don't use the cash registers that the standard ones use... a typical customer would go into one and not know there is anything different from those than any other 7-Eleven.

The OKC 7-Elevens are quite different from a real 7-Eleven. Stores look different, stocked different (better), different products (more), older looking stores (yes older looking). They have some of the same product names (they have the "Big Gulp") but they do not have the Slurpee (they have the "Icy Drink." Even a disengaged customer would likely notice there is something very different about those 7-Elevens, than the ones in the rest of the US.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by scibot
I went to a Maverik in Denver and NFC still works at the pump and they still use radiant here but its a newer location. Term ID starts with a JD just like Kum and Go who uses radiant. It seems only SLC locations have switched to that strange system?

Speaking of former Corner Stores they still use a custom Commander without chip but I have found even more with Circle K pumps with nfc support. The network ID starts with TP like old Ruby super system stations though. Still way better then the unbranded stations that ask for a zip code..
I'm in Reno and the Maveriks here have been switching to the new system. Two more switched over the past week. I think at this point only 1 or 2 are left on Radiant. A few of them are wanting zip code now but a few aren't.

Corner Store had been adding NFC support at the pump before being sold to Circle K. So it may be a carry over.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by IslesFan

I still get that feeling they’re gonna drag their feet on that as much as possible.
I don't think they will drag their feet. I think they will get it implemented ASAP. No reason not to.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by storewanderer
I don't think they will drag their feet. I think they will get it implemented ASAP. No reason not to.
I can see them enabling it some time during the latter part of the remainder of the year. Their IT isn't exactly the best, anyway.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 5:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Been in Switzerland for about a week. Most places have contactless.

Just had dinner and the waiter, from Portugal, said that people go around and sneak up on people with contactless terminals to get charges from people carrying their phones in their back pockets?

I didn’t really follow up and ask but sounded weird.

Maybe he meant more contactless cards, since phones require some kind of authentication for contactless transactions.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 10:54 pm

I can see them enabling it some time during the latter part of the remainder of the year. Their IT isn't exactly the best, anyway.
I guess we will see. Recall they had it working for a short time in MSD mode last year... will be interesting to see if it comes back EMV mode or MSD mode again.

Still no EMV NFC at Trader Joe's in Nevada. Just MSD NFC.

I feel like we are really turning the corner on getting more EMV NFC in the US lately.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 11:37 pm

Programs: Skymiles
I'm in Reno and the Maveriks here have been switching to the new system. Two more switched over the past week. I think at this point only 1 or 2 are left on Radiant. A few of them are wanting zip code now but a few aren't.

Corner Store had been adding NFC support at the pump before being sold to Circle K. So it may be a carry over.
Circle K has brand new NFC setups as well. So at least they’re agreeing here.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess we will see. Recall they had it working for a short time in MSD mode last year... will be interesting to see if it comes back EMV mode or MSD mode again.
Wasn't it pretty flaky last year too?
Old Aug 13, 2018, 5:27 am

So this is really interesting so Sprouts uses doubled sided receipts which is pretty cool! Now if only more places would follow suit. Who needs two pieces of paper when you can just put it on the back. It also seems the EMV may be bolted on as it says [S] for swipe on the back but also shows all the EMV contactless info on the front. Hy-Vee who uses a similar system only shows [S] while omitting the chip info for some reason.
Wasn't it pretty flaky last year too?
CVS did not officially have support for it as it did not say tap or contactless on the receipt at all so they just removed the block for a bit but only MSD ctls cards even worked.

Still no EMV NFC at Trader Joe's in Nevada. Just MSD NFC.

I feel like we are really turning the corner on getting more EMV NFC in the US lately.
I bet CVS will be supporting EMV contactless as well even though the CVS IT department is a joke.
Both Trader Joe's in my state now support EMV contactless so its being rolled out still, so if not today it should be enabled soon.

Well none of the Corner Stores I went to in CO in previous years ever had nfc at the pump at least the ones I ran into. I wonder what color was the upgraded Corner Store pump and did they also use Flex Pay IV? As all the Corner Stores I went to were pretty much Circle K's already with brand new white Circle K Gilbarco pumps with Flex Pay IV hooked into Commander and nfc works just fine. The pumps look exactly like the ones used at unbranded Circle K locations if they were upgraded with ctls.

Last edited by scibot; Aug 13, 2018 at 5:40 am
Old Aug 13, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: Skymiles
So this is really interesting so Sprouts uses doubled sided receipts which is pretty cool! Now if only more places would follow suit. Who needs two pieces of paper when you can just put it on the back. It also seems the EMV may be bolted on as it says [S] for swipe on the back but also shows all the EMV contactless info on the front. Hy-Vee who uses a similar system only shows [S] while omitting the chip info for some reason.

CVS did not officially have support for it as it did not say tap or contactless on the receipt at all so they just removed the block for a bit but only MSD ctls cards even worked.

I bet CVS will be supporting EMV contactless as well even though the CVS IT department is a joke.
Both Trader Joe's in my state now support EMV contactless so its being rolled out still, so if not today it should be enabled soon.

Well none of the Corner Stores I went to in CO in previous years ever had nfc at the pump at least the ones I ran into. I wonder what color was the upgraded Corner Store pump and did they also use Flex Pay IV? As all the Corner Stores I went to were pretty much Circle K's already with brand new white Circle K Gilbarco pumps with Flex Pay IV hooked into Commander and nfc works just fine. The pumps look exactly like the ones used at unbranded Circle K locations if they were upgraded with ctls.
Sports uses ISS45, Which uses NCR is back end. The ISS45 doesn't know the difference between a swipe, a chip, or a tap. It only sees it as a swipe, or a manual key. The PIN pad is what knows the EMV information and passes it over to print it on the receipt
Old Aug 13, 2018, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The 7-Eleven by my house now has contactless too. I feel like this software update went a lot faster than the EMV one; did they push the changes up in advance and have them set to activate on a specific date/time?
Old Aug 13, 2018, 10:55 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
So this is really interesting so Sprouts uses doubled sided receipts which is pretty cool! Now if only more places would follow suit. Who needs two pieces of paper when you can just put it on the back.
Many printers, particularly the ones at Safeway, can print double sided. The problem is that double sided thermal paper costs more than single sided thermal paper, which costs more than advertiser sponsored single sided thermal paper. The advertiser sponsored paper (with the local ads on the back) is actually provided to the store for free.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 11:48 am

So this is really interesting so Sprouts uses doubled sided receipts which is pretty cool! Now if only more places would follow suit. Who needs two pieces of paper when you can just put it on the back.
The Sprouts double-sided receipt isn't reducing two pieces of paper to one. It's not like a place that gives you one itemized receipt and a separate credit card receipt (like Zion Marketplace does). It's just the full itemized receipt split in two so that the second half of the receipt is on the back, using less total paper. If you only buy a couple of items you probably won't notice, but with a larger purchase you'll see some items on the front and more on the back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.