Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: storewanderer
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2018, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by PKCorey
New Speedway opened by me. NFC not activated though. The light was blinking though.

Hmm so that is NCR Optic on a Wayne pump interesting usually from what I have seen at Speedway its usually added to Gilbarco pumps. Also the certs have not come through outside which is why its blinking. Its been like that for a year or more just blinking but not enabled and Speedway says its working on ctls but no ETA at this time.

So it looks like Speedway uses the NCR Radiant gas pos system. So when EMV contactless is finally enabled inside its going to really suck as its very buggy as others have seen at Circle K and what I have seen at Kum & Go but I'm sure it will be fine outside once its finally been enabled.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by RedLight2015
Stupid stuff like this, and things like Amex not working despite taking the physical card is what will make mobile payments look bad.
The AmEx thing has been a problem for a while, though, and that doesn't seem to have affected contactless adoption elsewhere. Also, I think the cards going away thing is a uniquely Samsung problem; I've never had such issues with Google Pay or Apple Pay.

Speaking of Samsung: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/bank-...ution-looppay/
Old Jun 16, 2018, 1:01 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by scibot
Hmm so that is NCR Optic on a Wayne pump interesting usually from what I have seen at Speedway its usually added to Gilbarco pumps. Also the certs have not come through outside which is why its blinking. Its been like that for a year or more just blinking but not enabled and Speedway says its working on ctls but no ETA at this time.

So it looks like Speedway uses the NCR Radiant gas pos system. So when EMV contactless is finally enabled inside its going to really suck as its very buggy as others have seen at Circle K and what I have seen at Kum & Go but I'm sure it will be fine outside once its finally been enabled.
Yes, Speedway uses Radiant.

Maverik uses Radiant (no EMV yet...) and has great Contactless at the pump and in the store. The one near me (in a larger town) just started to require the zip code at the pump though, but seems to be a one off situation as another few I've been to since then (all very rural locations, though) haven't done that yet. Hopefully once these gas pumps convert to EMV that will go away.

Circle K with EMV does not have EMV Contactless, still MSD.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by tmiw
The AmEx thing has been a problem for a while, though, and that doesn't seem to have affected contactless adoption elsewhere. Also, I think the cards going away thing is a uniquely Samsung problem; I've never had such issues with Google Pay or Apple Pay.

Speaking of Samsung: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/bank-...ution-looppay/
Figures it's visa only as I use my B of A Mastercard more.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Figures it's visa only as I use my B of A Mastercard more.
It's also a pilot, so MC could very well be supported if this thing rolls out to all customers.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by storewanderer
Yes, Speedway uses Radiant.

Maverik uses Radiant (no EMV yet...) and has great Contactless at the pump and in the store. The one near me (in a larger town) just started to require the zip code at the pump though, but seems to be a one off situation as another few I've been to since then (all very rural locations, though) haven't done that yet. Hopefully once these gas pumps convert to EMV that will go away.

Circle K with EMV does not have EMV Contactless, still MSD.
Whats interesting with Speedway is that there is no standard NCR payment screen its a grey background with Swipe or Insert Card on the screen. Yeah so very few NCR Radiant merchants such as Maverik or Kwik Trip have EMV enabled yet only Kum & Go*, Sheetz* and Circle K have contactless+EMV enabled and only ones with a * support EMV contactless with Speedway only supporting chip. I did know about Circle K having only MSD contactless since I visited one back in February 2018 and it looked just like K&G but no EMV info on receipt. On twitter I have seen people complaining about Kum & Go, Sheetz and Circle K not having working contactless at all MX915's so they could all need a software update to fix some bugs.

So I found a register without contactless support at Aldi so I had to swipe as there no chip at mine yet but the other open register had it working just fine. I visited Fresh Thyme today and they use standard NCR with MSD contactless still. Oh and Trader Joe's new chip noise is a Ukulele to go with their Hawaiian theme which is the only place to have that sound and that just shows you how quirky of a company they really are.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Two Samsung Pay failures so far today:
  1. Carrows Restaurant (CA chain; Elavon VX820 just like Coco's): declined by issuer/processor with "invalid data" after selecting "credit". EMV with the same card worked fine. I suspect this is another NFC/MST clash just like with Revel.
  2. Sherwin-Williams (large PAX PIN pad that looks like a knockoff of the iSC480): "Tap Not Accepted" followed by "remove card". EMV also worked fine with the same card but I don't think there was any clashing going on.

Anyway, it's getting very difficult to justify continuing to use Samsung Pay at locations with working NFC, especially since Samsung Rewards are basically useless.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On a more positive note, I saw this at an ARCO today: https://imgur.com/a/rEH42qx

Looks like they're officially supporting it now? (I thought they have for a while, but maybe the reliability issues have been solved.)
Old Jun 16, 2018, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by sedubby
I'm so sold on NFC enabled/tap to pay cards. The only one I know of and actively have is the new Hilton Aspire Card. Easier even than Apple Pay...why don't more U.S. issuers offer them? They're amazing...don't have to take out of my wallet or worry about the battery running low.
So far I have only had mixed success using contactless with my Hilton Aspire Card; tonight I tried to use it to pay at Olive Garden on their ziosk, which I've successfully used with Google Pay before, and the card would only work if I inserted it. My Costco Visa wouldn't work contactless at a Cinemark theater out in California last week; I had to insert there too. Meanwhile, at Jersey Mike's it seems like their terminals only work with some cards on Google Pay; some cards work, some don't (when Chase Freedom was offering 5% cash back on Google Pay, it wouldn't work at my local Jersey Mike's).

Hit-or-miss acceptance and broken terminals may be part of the reason there isn't a lot of clamoring for contactless even from people who have quite a few contactless cards already.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lordsutch
Hit-or-miss acceptance and broken terminals may be part of the reason there isn't a lot of clamoring for contactless even from people who have quite a few contactless cards already.
While those are issues that need to be dealt with, the fact is that contactless cards in general still aren't widely known; the assumption is that anything using NFC is going to be a mobile device of some sort (as evidenced by the Imgur album I posted above).
Old Jun 17, 2018, 12:03 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by lordsutch
So far I have only had mixed success using contactless with my Hilton Aspire Card; tonight I tried to use it to pay at Olive Garden on their ziosk, which I've successfully used with Google Pay before, and the card would only work if I inserted it. My Costco Visa wouldn't work contactless at a Cinemark theater out in California last week; I had to insert there too. Meanwhile, at Jersey Mike's it seems like their terminals only work with some cards on Google Pay; some cards work, some don't (when Chase Freedom was offering 5% cash back on Google Pay, it wouldn't work at my local Jersey Mike's).

I can't get the American Express Contactless card to work at McDonalds since the EMV Upgrade (I did get it to work ONCE there a couple months ago... same register same location does not work again now) nor can I get the American Express Contactless card to work at Walgreens anymore (it worked there at first... a couple years ago). Also can no longer get it to work at Staples since they turned on EMV Contactless (doesn't work at Office Depot either). Works fine most other places. All those grocery stores with NCR Terminals (Whole Foods, Sprouts, Save Mart, Raleys, etc.), various gas stations, etc., it works great. It is concerning to me those places where it won't work are EMV Contactless Merchants... and the card worked as MSD Contactless at those places before they went EMV.

So I kind of know where the card will and won't work... and pay accordingly. This is probably not acceptable to the average consumer.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I had an NFC rejection of American Express, I think it was, via Samsung Pay at McDonald's.

Otherwise, besides Clark's Shoes I don't recall a single Samsung Pay failure at all
Old Jun 17, 2018, 8:02 am

I can't get the American Express Contactless card to work at McDonalds since the EMV Upgrade (I did get it to work ONCE there a couple months ago... same register same location does not work again now) nor can I get the American Express Contactless card to work at Walgreens anymore (it worked there at first... a couple years ago). Also can no longer get it to work at Staples since they turned on EMV Contactless (doesn't work at Office Depot either). Works fine most other places. All those grocery stores with NCR Terminals (Whole Foods, Sprouts, Save Mart, Raleys, etc.), various gas stations, etc., it works great. It is concerning to me those places where it won't work are EMV Contactless Merchants... and the card worked as MSD Contactless at those places before they went EMV.

So I kind of know where the card will and won't work... and pay accordingly. This is probably not acceptable to the average consumer.
American Express contactless is very hit-or-miss even in countries like the UK with high Amex use and high contactless use. Hasn't affected overall contactless adoption. Tbh, I think it has hurt Amex's reputation a lot tho.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With the physical card the alternative is likely inserting it instead of tapping it, so AmEx doesn't lose much when contactless doesn't work.

On the other hand, Apple Pay not working with AmEx at a particular merchant might very well cause someone to use another card or possibly abandon using mobile wallets altogether. Hence there's a bigger motivation to have it work (and is probably why it's still MSD-only for US-issued cards).

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Otherwise, besides Clark's Shoes I don't recall a single Samsung Pay failure at all
Even with the smaller/thinner PIN pads? So far I'm hesitant to try it anywhere that doesn't use a big terminal simply because of the potential for MST and NFC to clash.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by scibot
... Speedway says its working on ctls but no ETA at this time.
They said that over two years ago. Speedway is one of those merchants that likes to data-mine.... Which is why the cashier won't leave you alone, even after you tell them you don't want a Speedy Rewards card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.