Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: storewanderer
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2017, 9:27 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by wco81
Saw an update to the iOS Chipotle app. that it will support Apple Pay.
The problem with using the Chipotle app is that you're eating at Chipotle.

(waits for clapping to subside)

Is this to pay within the app when ordering ahead? Or some blurb about the registers taking Apple Pay?
Old Nov 6, 2017, 9:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Pay within the app.

They get packed around here.

You're not going to see contactless at some foodie or high-end restaurants.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Pay within the app.

Most sit-down restaurants might not ever have it, but I can see most quick service restaurants at least having the function enabled on their terminals--even if the terminals are difficult for customers to access and/or the employees are poorly trained in their use.

Honestly, I just want Clover to reenable CDCVM. That seems like a reasonable short-term goal, especially since they've had it working before.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 11:10 pm

Pay within the app.

What does this mean
?
Old Nov 6, 2017, 11:17 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by scibot
Before you were allowed to pay in the store with cash or a credit card after ordering in the app. Now they are requiring all in app orders to be paid for in the app and thats it.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RedLight2015
Before you were allowed to pay in the store with cash or a credit card after ordering in the app. Now they are requiring all in app orders to be paid for in the app and thats it.
If they are planning on adopting EMV, making people pay in the app would move people through more quickly. (Then again, they're probably doing that to cut down on losses from people not picking up their orders or something.)
Old Nov 7, 2017, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Apple Pay Cash is now live for iOS 11.2 beta users. The downside is that it's apparently a Discover debit card, which is going to have some merchant compatibility issues

Also, I don't seem to know anyone in my phone's contacts running the beta so it's not all that useful to me yet.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 1:05 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by tmiw
Apple Pay Cash is now live for iOS 11.2 beta users. The downside is that it's apparently a Discover debit card, which is going to have some merchant compatibility issues

Also, I don't seem to know anyone in my phone's contacts running the beta so it's not all that useful to me yet.
I have contacts running the beta, and they can't receive cash either, so it's not really useful right now.

Setting it up was a breeze. It's not entirely clear what the funds source is, though?
Old Nov 7, 2017, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fliesdelta
I have contacts running the beta, and they can't receive cash either, so it's not really useful right now.

Setting it up was a breeze. It's not entirely clear what the funds source is, though?
If you pull up the properties for the card in Wallet, there's an "Add Money" option. Only works with debit cards already in Apple Pay though.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 1:44 pm

"Apple Pay Cash is a service provided by Green Dot Bank, member FDIC."

With merchants' Discover contactless acceptance.. I don't think Apple made a good choice in their apple pay cash card brand.

Last edited by PhX1Guy; Nov 7, 2017 at 1:54 pm
Old Nov 7, 2017, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by PhX1Guy
"Apple Pay Cash is a service provided by Green Dot Bank, member FDIC."

With merchants' Discover contactless acceptance.. I don't think Apple made a good choice in their apple pay cash card brand.
Possibly Discover made a good deal in hopes it would push contactless D-PAS acceptance...
Old Nov 7, 2017, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AllieKat
Possibly Discover made a good deal in hopes it would push contactless D-PAS acceptance...
Don't they have a big enough base of Discover credit cards out in the field already? Granted, not all of them likely are in Apple Pay, but still.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 3:25 pm

Don't they have a big enough base of Discover credit cards out in the field already? Granted, not all of them likely are in Apple Pay, but still.
Contactless D-PAS acceptance has major issues even in the US. Also, Discover is one of many cards people tend to carry. But APPLE CASH? That'll get the Apple loyalists demanding acceptance.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 4:00 pm

I believe some of the earlier screenshots revealed it was Discover Debit.

I'm updating to 11.2b2 right now, so I'll get to play with it soon.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 5:42 pm

Honestly, I just want Clover to reenable CDCVM. That seems like a reasonable short-term goal, especially since they've had it working before.
Did Clover actually disable CDCVM completely? That's weird.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.