Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What card next?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2015, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Southwest AL CP, Hyatt Globalist
What card next?

I am SPG Plat 100. I understand Starwood Programs. I have a Companion Pass with Southwest Airlines. My home airport is 60% Southwest flights. I have a cashback card getting 2.65% on everything, but l feel like I should be doing better with signup bonuses. I do go overseas every 2 years or so, and think I might need a Delta, American, or British Air card next. I am very happy with SPG and what I get there. Any help out there on what Card/ Program to do next? Would probably be able to spend 30-50K yearly.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Do you want to go overseas in Coach or in Business? What time of year? What is your home airport, and which carriers -- besides Southwest -- serve it? Are you able to depart from any other, nearby airports?
Old Oct 19, 2015, 5:35 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
At the present time US seem to be better for awards to Asia, but that can change...never forget Avois..for short domestic trips..
Old Oct 19, 2015, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Southwest AL CP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Do you want to go overseas in Coach or in Business? What time of year? What is your home airport, and which carriers -- besides Southwest -- serve it? Are you able to depart from any other, nearby airports?
I fly WN out of Nashville, TN and really no other airports close. Delta, American, and United split the other 40% of travel out of BNA. Coach is fine, and we would travel in the mid to late summers. Thanks for your help. 4 years trying to figure out this points/miles thing.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

Originally Posted by pageboy
Originally Posted by guv1976

I fly WN out of Nashville, TN and really no other airports close. Delta, American, and United split the other 40% of travel out of BNA. Coach is fine, and we would travel in the mid to late summers. Thanks for your help. 4 years trying to figure out this points/miles thing.
Finding low-tier, TATL award travel in Summer can be challenging, but Coach should be a little easier to find than Business Class.

You can do award searches right now on aa.com and united.com to check current availability for travel next Summer. While availability can change from day to day, I would probably be guided by that in choosing AA or UA. (My guess would be that you'll find better availability with UA and its partners, but see for yourself. Ignore any aa.com availability that uses BA for the TATL portion of your travel, since there are high cash surcharges assessed for those flights.)

Of course, SPG Starpoints transfer to a variety of airline FFPs, so you might not need to get another card, unless you are looking for the sign-up bonuses.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 7:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Since you do SPG, look at the rules for their Crossover program with DL. A DL AmEx credit card can get you not only MQMs for status (or rollover if you make at least Silver) but also a MQD waiver for the newish spend requirements for status. Crossover benefits are best if you have elite status on both sides.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 1:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
As this is specific to adding to one's credit card portfolio, we'll move this to our dedicated Credit Card forum.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Oct 21, 2015, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by pageboy
Any help out there on what Card/ Program to do next? Would probably be able to spend 30-50K yearly.
Since you are from BNA, except for WN, no particular airline will be in your advantage. So you can pretty much pick whatever you want.

I have a better suggestion for you. You should look for a general reward card that allows you booking travel directly via the issuer's website (like CSP, Citi TY, etc.)

In this case, you will not be stuck on choosing a particular program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.