Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Is there a maximum number of Barclay cards one can have?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2015, 4:21 am
Original Poster

Does Barclay deny credit card applications because applicants have too many credit card with them? This is assuming 1) I have low enough number of hard pulls; 2) the total credit limit I have with them right now, plus the minimum required for the applied card is less than what they are willing to extend to me; 3) I have used the Barclay cards I currently have enough.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 1:33 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by medium_alpaca
Does Barclay deny credit card applications because applicants have too many credit card with them?
Yes. They are known to deny applications and give the reason: you already have sufficient credit.

This is all over the travel forums. 2 cards seems to be the limit. People often can get a third by waiting 6 months before applying for a new card, but even then, going over 2 cards with Barclays is a bear. Canceling one of the two you already have can sometimes result in an approval for a new card.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 9:26 am

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Originally Posted by jn in ca
Yes. They are known to deny applications and give the reason: you already have sufficient credit.

This is all over the travel forums. 2 cards seems to be the limit. People often can get a third by waiting 6 months before applying for a new card, but even then, going over 2 cards with Barclays is a bear. Canceling one of the two you already have can sometimes result in an approval for a new card.
2 cards is definitely NOT the limit. I had zero problems getting a third. Yes Barclay's does limit how much credit they give you (as do all banks, though the amount certainly varies from bank to bank and person to person)
Old Aug 13, 2016, 5:38 am

I have 3...Barclay Rewards, Cash forward and the Wyndham no fee card. All were instant approvals. I really want that Jet Blue card but it sounds like 4 cards is pushing it.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 7:41 am

They don't have a specific limit but Barclay's is very leery of doling out multiple accounts. Some people can't even get two cards from them without a long wait in between apps.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 11:36 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AS MVP Gold 75k, AA Platinum, SPG/Marriott Platinum
No limit that I know of....

I have 5 cards with Barclay- American, Arrival, Lufthansa, Wyndham and just got approved for the JetBlue MasterCard.

Now, Barclays pulls TransUnion, which helps a lot.

Important data point if you have one or more Barclay cards already:

They do look at how much you use their cards in deciding to issue additional ones. I gave the Arrival to my wife and she uses it as her primary card, so they see we use it versus "sock drawering" it.

Hope this helps!

Originally Posted by jn in ca

Old Aug 20, 2016, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by mshock79
I have 3...Barclay Rewards, Cash forward and the Wyndham no fee card. All were instant approvals. I really want that Jet Blue card but it sounds like 4 cards is pushing it.
Update: I was approved for the Jet Blue card on Monday. Wasn't instant...I had to call recon and the analyst wanted info about job and 9 yr old BK. Ultimately my good payment history with Barclays as well as moderate use of existing cards got me the approval. So that's four cards for me now.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 9:59 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
I have 4 cards with them with progressively smaller limits

Aviator Red 12.5k
Arrival 5k
Sallie Mae: 3250
Jet Blue Plus 2500
Old Sep 1, 2016, 2:16 pm

Programs: Lotz
I applied for the Hawaiian card and the Frontier personal card 2 weeks after getting the Hawaiian personal and 3 months after getting the Choice and Wyndham personals. I was approved for the Frontier personal after lowering my HA personal to $5K in a reconsideration call. That's 4 personals open now with $5K CL each, which I believe is the lower limit for the cards.

The rep told me there is no limit on the number of cards but rather on the total credit line you have. They also thanked me for "using" my card even though I sock drawer after making spend.

The HA Biz card is a rough one. I used a 35K app online and for some reason the link I used triggered a security flag. I'm having to send in copies of my drivers license, SS card, US passport, and a mail. But nothing requested about the business like business license, etc.

I don't know if the CL they give a person includes the Biz CL but if I apply for the Jet Blues I may have to cancel a card first.

Barclays is still fun.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.