Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Credit Card Churn for upcoming Honeymoon

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2015, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Credit Card Churn for upcoming Honeymoon

My wedding/honeymoon is coming up in April. I'll be able to hit on several spend thresholds for a few cards with my upcoming spend.

Primary Use of Points is for Airfare. That would be the goal for new cards. I'm hoping the board can recommend a few to sign up for.

Most of the airfare will be geared towards International Travel, with Italy being the next place to travel on our list.

Open Cards
Amex Premier Rewards Gold
Amex SPG Personal
Chase SPG
Chase Ink Plus
Barclaycard Arrival Plus

Closed Cards
Amex Gold Delta Skymiles
Citi Platinum AAdvantage Visa Personal
United Mileage Plus Explorer Cards
Citi Aadvantage Business

Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 9, 2015, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Congratulations.

However, there is no recommendation.

1. Knowing your proposed destination is good. But you need to also provide your origination (to guess-timate the possible airlines you will travel with).

2. Your YTD progress - less than 8 months to earn tickets is possible but difficult, especially given that issuers cracking down churning, MS, etc.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Also need to know when the Citi/AA personal card was closed, and when the last sign-up bonus was received for the Chase/UA card.

And, is the OP looking to travel in Coach, or in Business?
Old Sep 10, 2015, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Both cards were closed last month. I got the Chase UA bonus last year. I closed it right before the AF hit.

Open to travelling in either Coach, or in Business.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 10:26 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by JEStarr
Both cards were closed last month. I got the Chase UA bonus last year. I closed it right before the AF hit.

Open to travelling in either Coach, or in Business.
Those two cards are out right off the bat.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 12:41 pm

Looks like you care about AAdvantage miles based off your closed cards you listed. You listed "Citi Platinum AAdvantage Visa Personal" which means you could get the current MasterCard version and still be eligible for the sign up bonus as long as you have not opened or closed a "Citi Platinum AAdvantage Mastercard Personal" in the last 18 months and you are not within the Citi 8/65 rule. Checkout the wiki on the "Citi Platinum & Gold AA Card" post for more info. Also note there is a loophole around the 18 month rule with accounts that have been converted from World to World Elite.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 10:58 pm

Programs: IHG Plat(Ambssdr on occasion), Hyatt Explr(2023), AS Mileage Plan, Rapid Rewards, Bonvoy Plat
How about Chase Sapphire + British Airways card.

Combo should get you 2 tickets from US to most Europe destinations

Have the fiancee go for the Chase Hyatt and get 2 free nights to use.

Last edited by archstenton; Sep 14, 2015 at 11:04 pm
Old Sep 15, 2015, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Signed up for the Amex SPG Biz card for the 30k bonus. Figure you can't go wrong with that bonus.

Also thinking about doing the Capital One Venture to use on the Honeymoon. What do you guys think of the Venture? Anything else worth picking up?
Old Sep 15, 2015, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JEStarr
Also thinking about doing the Capital One Venture to use on the Honeymoon. What do you guys think of the Venture? Anything else worth picking up?
I'm not a big Cap 1 fan. Lots of folks here don't like applying for them because they pull all 3 credit bureaus (so 3 hard pulls for 1 card).

TPG posted this a few months ago, thought it would be worth a read for you: http://thepointsguy.com/2015/06/dont...nnifer-garner/

Of course, do your own research, we can't tell you what to get!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.