Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

At one merchant in Canada, could only use a non-chip USA card.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2015, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Had an odd experience in Montreal the other day. I'm USA-based and most of my cards now have chips. At one merchant, the terminal was on-line but the chip reader wasn't working. We tried a couple cards and the terminal didn't respond to the chips, but when they were swiped it said to use the chip reader.

I realized I had my non-chip Chase IHG card with me, and that worked when swiped.

So it may still be worth it to carry a non-chip card around, even in predominantly chip-using countries!

Seth
Old Sep 8, 2015, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
The terminal should have allowed the swipe after the chip failed to read a few times. They also should still have been able to enter the card #, etc. by hand if all else fails. I wonder why neither happened.

Anyway, having non-chipped cards may be unrealistic for some at this point (and will soon be impossible for everyone).
Old Sep 8, 2015, 10:35 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, I figured my "luck" in using a non-chip card was a fluke of the long transition period to chip cards.

Thanks for the suggestions to run the card a few times or enter the number by hand; that's helpful for next time!

Seth
Old Sep 9, 2015, 1:52 am

This is an argument against chip cards (not saying you're making it, but I have heard it) I don't understand: sometimes the readers fail, so we shouldn't switch. Sometimes magnetic stripe readers fail or are incredibly quirky too (can anyone say the plastic bag trick? LOL). I am not convinced either fails more often, both are mechanical devices subject to both normal wear as well as dirty or damaged customer cards.

If anything it is a good argument to support contactless.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AllieKat
This is an argument against chip cards (not saying you're making it, but I have heard it) I don't understand: sometimes the readers fail, so we shouldn't switch. Sometimes magnetic stripe readers fail or are incredibly quirky too (can anyone say the plastic bag trick? LOL). I am not convinced either fails more often, both are mechanical devices subject to both normal wear as well as dirty or damaged customer cards.

If anything it is a good argument to support contactless.
I'm totally expecting a ton of articles in a couple of years basically saying how EMV was a total waste of time and money because total fraud "didn't change" or even went up (thanks to fraud going to the Internet). Complete with quotes from a pizza shop or some other "low risk" store owner in a random small town saying that (s)he has never had to deal with chargebacks from cloned cards even after the liability shift. Meanwhile there's no mention of how EMV enabled a much better customer experience and increased revenue thanks to being able to support stuff like Apple Pay.

It's dishonest as hell but at least a couple of people will fall for it.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tmiw
Anyway, having non-chipped cards may be unrealistic for some at this point (and will soon be impossible for everyone).
On their "normal" cards, yes. But I've heard that gift cards may not all be chipped (given that they're not always chipped in countries which have long gone all-EMV on "normal" cards).

If so, having non-chipped cards always handy would not be impossible therefore for MSers who hold off on turning their Visa/MC gift cards back into cash.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the thoughts on this. I agree, chip readers and magnetic-strip readers are both subject to occasional failure. I think it's a good switch we're making but it won't eliminate terminal problems.

Interesting point about gift cards -- guess it may make sense not to liquidate all of them! Just have to keep track of 'em.

Seth
Old Sep 11, 2015, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sethweinstein
Thanks for the thoughts on this. I agree, chip readers and magnetic-strip readers are both subject to occasional failure. I think it's a good switch we're making but it won't eliminate terminal problems.

Interesting point about gift cards -- guess it may make sense not to liquidate all of them! Just have to keep track of 'em.

Seth
The downside is that fraud might end up moving to those cards in large quantities eventually, making keeping one of those cards around a risky proposition. And once magstripe becomes rare you may come under much stronger scrutiny when you try to use a gift card. It's better just to manually enter the card details if it comes down to that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.