Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

transaction posting date: local or registered address?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2015, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO-plat, SPG-plat

I don't have a foreign credit card transaction receipt for reference. Does someone know whether credit card transaction dates are based on the local date or date at registered address? I suspect it is the former but would like to double check.

I ask because I have to meet spending requirement by May 21 on US-issued credit card. I will make a large transaction in Asia/Pacific region on May 22 (when the date is still May 21 in the US).
Old May 16, 2015, 10:20 pm

Programs: Ex-5C club, Skymiles Gold

Talk about cutting it close. From my experience you may run into a problem as there is no requirement for the vendor to close the transaction in a timely manner. The authorization may show but it may not post. I have had transactions in Europe post up to a month after the transaction was authorized. Don't count on it working.
Old May 16, 2015, 10:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO-plat, SPG-plat
Originally Posted by Flaneurs
Talk about cutting it close. From my experience you may run into a problem as there is no requirement for the vendor to close the transaction in a timely manner. The authorization may show but it may not post. I have had transactions in Europe post up to a month after the transaction was authorized. Don't count on it working.
OK, sage advice. I'll not bank on this transaction. Was your particular transaction that post one month later a regular store? I have a difficult time imagining that businesses willingly delay receiving payment.
Old May 16, 2015, 11:46 pm

The specific example was an airport vendor that was likely waiting for a raise in local currency rates.
Old May 17, 2015, 6:08 am

Programs: UA Plat (former 1K)

the posting date is not always the same as the transaction date, especially if the batch up transactions.

on a side note, I just love it when the vendor "name" on the statement is totally obfuscated and non obvious :'(
the only one immediately springing to mind is FXO threw me for a loop... FedEx Office.
but it happens a few times a year.

once every year or two I file a bogus charge claim only to find out after they research it and dig up a useful company name that I say "oh, oops, yes that was real"

credit card companies should require the actual store name to appear on transaction detail, not the processor or parent company. And the actual transaction date.
Old May 17, 2015, 6:16 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Flaneurs
The specific example was an airport vendor that was likely waiting for a raise in local currency rates.
You opted to pay in your home currency (DCC)?
Old May 17, 2015, 7:59 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
In some countries the card terminal will actually priced in Euros or Dollars and everything in the shop will be listed in that currency. When the transaction is settled their merchant bank then converts it to their smaller local currency. I've seen this a couple of times in airports.
Old May 17, 2015, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by seawolf
Quote:

You opted to pay in your home currency (DCC)?
Not by choice!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.