Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

New Best Western Credit Cards - up to 80k Points for $3k spend

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2016, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
As of January 12, 2021:

There are two versions of this card in the US, both issued by First Bankcard / First National Bank of Omaha:

Best Western Rewards Premium Mastercard
  • 10 points/$ at BW hotels, 2 points/$ everywhere else
  • Automatic Platinum Status
  • Anniversary Bonus: 40,000 points will be posted 4-8 weeks after the 12th complete billing cycle each year, when a total of at least $5000 is spend on the card within those 12 billing cycles
  • There are a number of other "perks" listed but those seem to be tied to the Platinum status or are available to any Rewards member
  • $89 annual fee
Best Western Rewards Mastercard
  • 3points/$ at BW hotels, 2 points/$ everywhere else
  • Automatic Gold Status
  • Anniversary Bonus: 20,000 points will be posted 4-8 weeks after the 12th complete billing cycle each year, when a total of at least $5000 is spend on the card within those 12 billing cycles
  • There are a number of other "perks" listed but those seem to be tied to the Gold status or are available to any Rewards member
  • No annual fee
There is apparently no business version of this card currently available.

Current signup offers:
Main landing page

Best Western Rewards Premium Mastercard, 80k points after $3000 spend within the first 3 billing cycles, $89 annual fee NOT waived first year:
https://www.firstbankcard.com/landin...cardpage1.html

Best Western Rewards Mastercard, 40k points after $1000 spend within the first 3 billing cycles, no annual fee:
https://www.firstbankcard.com/landin...cardpage2.html

Historical information:

As of 9/1/17:
https://www.firstbankcard.com/bestwe...-cc-_-ccoffers

The Rewards Mastercard offers 16,000 bonus points after first purchase
(plus an additional 16,000 points on first stay).
There is no annual fee.

The Premium Rewards Mastercard offers 50,000 bonus points after $1,000 spend within first 3 months
(plus an additional 20,000 bonus points when you spend at least $5,000 during each 12-month billing cycle period).
The $59 annual fee is waived the first year.
__________________________________________________ _____________

The Rewards Business Mastercard offers 48,000 bonus points after spending $1,000 within first 90 days.
There is no annual fee.
https://www.firstbankcard.com/bestwe....fhtml?sub=010
__________________________________________________ _____________

These cards are issued by First Bankcard, a division of First National Bank of Omaha.

Print Wikipost

New Best Western Credit Cards - up to 80k Points for $3k spend

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2016, 2:02 pm

The Rewards Mastercard has no annual fee.

The Premium Rewards Mastercard has a $59 annual fee waived the first year.

Wiki has been updated with details on these offers.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 1:06 am

It seems only $5,000 spend is needed for the 70k points, did I get the math wrong?

What credit bureau does First Bankcard / First National Bank of Omaha usually pull?
Old Sep 18, 2016, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by michael_v
It seems only $5,000 spend is needed for the 70k points,
did I get the math wrong?
You got the math right.

The offer has been updated; the thread title has not been.
A moderator has been alerted to see if the title can be updated.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
value?

I've looked at this card over the years and can't make myself pull the trigger. Most BW I've stayed at have been < $100/night. And pts would run ~20K. So it takes $10K spend to get 3 free nights. Not a great value IMHO. Hilton pts have ~the same value ($0.005) but you don't need to spend as much on their cards to get similar amt. of pts.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by michael_v
It seems only $5,000 spend is needed for the 70k points, did I get the math wrong?

What credit bureau does First Bankcard / First National Bank of Omaha usually pull?
Yes, you need to spend $5K the 1st yr. for 70K pts., not $10K. Wiki updated to show $5K spend 1st yr ($1K + $4K).

Do you get another 20K the 2nd yr. if you spend another $5K?
Old Sep 18, 2016, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by philemer

Do you get another 20K the 2nd yr. if you spend another $5K?
Yes.
Each new (12-month period) year you would.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by philemer
Most BW I've stayed at have been < $100/night. And pts would run ~20K.
One could get 2-8 free nights, depending on the location, with the 70,000-point signup points.

Examples; points per night:
Merida, Mexico 8,000; Tokyo 8,000; Warsaw 12,000; Riga 16,000; Long Beach, WA 16,000; Helsinki 20,000; Dublin 20,000; Albuquerque 20,000; Seoul 20,000; Mt. Shasta 24,000; Moab, Utah 28,000
Old Sep 18, 2016, 6:36 pm

I'm heading to Europe for an extended trip and there are Best Westerns everywhere, so it can get me 4 to 5 free nights for just $1k spend, so I pulled the trigger. I'm grabbing a lot of lower level hotel cards (IHG, Choice, BW) since their spend required is low and all I care about is getting free nights. I've run through all the other good hotel cards for now anyway.

Question: Do the 20k show up immediately when you hit the $5k spend or do you have to wait for the end of the year? Will have to weight whether another 24k is worth $4k spend.

Also, it said I was approved, but with an asterisk saying they will review and may still reject me. Has anyone had experience with being denied after being initially approved?

Edit: Just got an email that I was officially approved.

Last edited by corpgator; Sep 20, 2016 at 2:12 pm
Old Sep 18, 2016, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by corpgator
Do the 20k show up immediately when you hit the $5k spend or do you have to wait for the end of the year?
I don't know, but with cards from other issuers (Chase, BofAm, etc.) points typically show up in the billing cycle
following the one in which you've met the minimum spend.

Originally Posted by corpgator
Will have to weight whether another 24k is worth $4k spend.
I think you mean 20k points.
This offer is for 50,000 points after $1,000 spend, then an additional 20,000 points after you've spent at least $5,000. That additional 20k points would likely cover just one night, but possibly two depending on the location, so maybe it's not worth doing the additional $4k spend.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by muji
I don't know, but with cards from other issuers (Chase, BofAm, etc.) points typically show up in the billing cycle
following the one in which you've met the minimum spend.

I think you mean 20k points.
This offer is for 50,000 points after $1,000 spend, then an additional 20,000 points after you've spent at least $5,000. That additional 20k points would likely cover just one night, but possibly two depending on the location, so maybe it's not worth doing the additional $4k spend.
I'd get 4k points for the $4k spend, so effectively 24k.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 10:43 pm

Programs: Far too many
business card: reports to credit bureaus?

Does a new biz card result in a new account on credit reports?
Old Oct 2, 2016, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travel light
Does a new biz card result in a new account on credit reports?
No, but I don't think any of these cards are worth applying for. BW cash rates are usually under $100/night.

Last edited by philemer; Oct 2, 2016 at 11:00 pm
Old Oct 3, 2016, 7:49 am

Programs: Far too many
You have a valid "point," philemer.

However, these hotels are in many of the small towns I like to visit, near US national parks, etc. They tend to be a cut above the standard roadside, rural, and small town motels.

It is true that these would be reasonable values in cash, but then again why not use that for other expenses?

BW points do not expire, and can be transferred between family members. Point value is comparable to Hilton, Club Carlson, and other hotel points.

I found this article on the BW program quite helpful:

https://www.valuepenguin.com/best-western-rewards

Add to this the brave new world of 5/24, and the business version looks pretty compelling.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was just looking at properties in UT for a planned "parks trip". Most of the BW were Cat. 3 or 16K pts a night. Getting the Bus. card would give you 48K, or enough for three free nights. With AAA or AARP discounts most of them would cost ~$100/night. So if a $300 return on the card is OK for you then I'd jump on it. I like to get a $400-$500 return on most cards I apply for but with the 5/24 Chase rule I would consider this one. But I wouldn't put more than the $1K min. spend on it. I'm loving my CSR card.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 3:04 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
I reserved a BW in West Yellowstone for four nights next July. This is their busy season, cash costs is $1100 with tax. The reservation will set me back 144K BWR points. Brings a BWR point value to .76 cents.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.