Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

B of A ending MLB cashback Mastercard (March 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2022, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium

Letter received today that I shall be receiving a replacement card with only generic B of A design - still love ya, Red Sox!

Since I also have a regular cashback card, I suppose the difference will be Visa vs. MC. For me, the former is set more-or-less indefinitely to Online 3%, so it spends most of the time in a drawer.

​​​​​
Old Jan 16, 2022, 7:08 am

Are they replacing it with the generic Customized Cash Rewards, or are they going to product change you to something like the Unlimited Cash Rewards? BoA seems to be aggressively promoting UCR, so I wouldn't be shocked if they tried converting people to it even from other versions of the CCR.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Letter received today that I shall be receiving a replacement card with only generic B of A design - still love ya, Red Sox!

Since I also have a regular cashback card, I suppose the difference will be Visa vs. MC. For me, the former is set more-or-less indefinitely to Online 3%, so it spends most of the time in a drawer.

​​​​​
We also received a notice that our BofA joint checking account with New York Mets debit card and Mets checks will be changing. Debit cards will be re-issued without any Mets branding, and checks when ordered in future will just be generic BofA.

I expect to see MLB announcing a deal with a new bank in the future. Perhaps Chase MLB cards coming soon!
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by Mark202
Are they replacing it with the generic Customized Cash Rewards, or are they going to product change you to something like the Unlimited Cash Rewards? BoA seems to be aggressively promoting UCR, so I wouldn't be shocked if they tried converting people to it even from other versions of the CCR.
Generic cash rewards
Old Jan 17, 2022, 9:39 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by toofast
I expect to see MLB announcing a deal with a new bank in the future.
Typically the new issuer is announced first, and then the banks negotiate to sell or convert the existing portfolio.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by mia
Typically the new issuer is announced first, and then the banks negotiate to sell or convert the existing portfolio.
Given BofA has it's own credit card portfolio I don't see them wanting to sell those customers to another lender. It makes more sense for them just to migrate the customers over to it's own products.

It looks like Capital One is going to become the new MLB partner bank:

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.co...022/01/18.aspx
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 8:23 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
MBNA had a huge number of affinity credit cards, and that seemingly worked for a long time in the old era of credit card rewards where most cards were just 1%. The agreement that MBNA (and BofA had after takeover) required them to pay something like $2 for a new cardholder, $1 a year for an active cardholder (purchase within the last year), and 0.25% of each purchase to an affiliated university. With 1% cashback and US interchange, that worked. These agreements were made over long terms (something like a decade).

I suspect with the competition among rewards cards and people carrying less about what cards look like than what sign up bonuses & ongoing cashback that they had, that these agreements made less sense than they used to. I got a notification that my card would become the standard Bank Americard Cash rewards card in early 2021 and it did.

I'm not sure what terms the MLB had with BofA, but if they had similar terms that are too generous in the modern landscape of interchange/rewards, it may be why they declined to renew the deal.
dw likes this.

Last edited by phltraveler; Jan 25, 2022 at 5:23 pm Reason: clarified wording in first paragraph

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.