Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

How is the average age of accounts calculated?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2015, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Recently I've been working towards planning my next App-O-Rama, and attempting to workout exactly how many credit inquires and account closures (by me) my credit report can take.

I've been monitoring my score and seeing it go back into the low 800's and I'm a bit confused on how average age of accounts is calculated. On one side sites like credit karma show the average age of open accounts. While I'm getting conflicting information elsewhere that suggests the average age of accounts is the average age for all open and closed accounts.

Anyone have a explanation?
Old Mar 11, 2015, 7:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by whoknew89
Recently I've been working towards planning my next App-O-Rama, and attempting to workout exactly how many credit inquires and account closures (by me) my credit report can take.
As this is clearly a CC-specific query, your post will undoubtedly get better feedback here in the dedicated Credit Card Programs forum.

You may also want to take a look at START HERE sticky at the top of this forum as this is a frequent topic of discussion, and the info is likely already here.

Good luck!

Moderator, Information Desk
Old Mar 11, 2015, 8:13 pm

Closed accounts count for 10 years after account closure. Creditkarma isn't entirely accurate. Some accounts may not send info to all 3 major credit reporting companies.

Read creditboards.com
Old Mar 11, 2015, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by CrediPig
Closed accounts count for 10 years after account closure. Creditkarma isn't entirely accurate. Some accounts may not send info to all 3 major credit reporting companies.

Read creditboards.com
creditboards.com is an excellent suggestion. Also see this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...ilization.html Also try via google search.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 1:25 pm

On one side sites like credit karma show the average age of open accounts. While I'm getting conflicting information elsewhere that suggests the average age of accounts is the average age for all open and closed accounts.

Anyone have a explanation?
AAoA (what FICO uses) includes both open and closed accounts on the report. CK is actually calculating AAoOA.

I've been monitoring my score and seeing it go back into the low 800's and I'm a bit confused on how average age of accounts is calculated.
What score are you monitoring? Keep in mind that for any given model you have a score with each CRA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.