Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Discover it Miles Credit Card Launched, 3x Miles On All Purchases 1st Year

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 26, 2015, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: swag
Discover it Miles
current offer as of 9/1/17:
https://www.discover.com/credit-cards/miles/index.html

• 1.5x miles on all purchases
  • Double miles for the first year (3x miles on all purchases)
  • An annual credit up to $30 for in-flight Wi-Fi charges (ended 3/31/19)
  • No foreign transaction fees
  • No annual fee
  • Free FICO Score
  • 0% purchase APR for first twelve months

There are two ways to redeem miles:
  • Cash back via a deposit into your linked bank account
  • A statement credit against a travel purchase made in the past 180 days

Print Wikipost

Discover it Miles Credit Card Launched, 3x Miles On All Purchases 1st Year

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2015, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by vm81
Thats definitely a pain when you pay on discover website. I have started pushing payment from my bank to Discover and that clears the day payment reaches them.
Thanks for the tip. I'm hoping payments pushed from Serve will have the same effect on the credit line.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 9:19 pm

Programs: AS, BA, UA, SPG,
Discover it card 5% bonus works internationally

Hi all

I know Chase freedom 5% is internationally but not sure about Discover it. Since Discover charges no foreign transaction fee it would be great to use oversea. Anyone has a idea? Thanks

I apologize that I didn't state it clearly. Yes, I was talking about the 5% quarterly bonus reward. Not everything. For example, if this quarter has 5% in gas stations, you will definitely win 5% within USA yet how about other gas stations over the world?

I also sent a msg to Discover and hope they will write me back soon. Sure will be updated here if I get a response.

Last edited by sonymdplayer; Aug 26, 2015 at 1:23 am
Old Aug 25, 2015, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sonymdplayer
Hi all

I know Chase freedom 5% is internationally...
Is there a link? 5% for all international charges? However, Freedom has 3% FTF.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 10:07 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I don't think OP refers to all international charges but to charges in the quarterly rotating categories.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 11:04 pm

I tried this in March, for "ground transport." The problem I ran into was that something got lost in translation in their categories database. I bought a train ticket in Germany, and it was classified as "travel/entertainment--tickets (non-theatrical)." Similar U.S. ticket was also classified as "travel/entertainment," but the subcategory clearly indicated ground transport.

I never disputed it, but maybe I'll give it a go--it's one of those cases where it would be easy to prove it is what I say it is (unlike sending them a handwritten restaurant receipt from Mongolia). If I do, I'll post the response.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 4:02 pm

Bonus on int'l charges: maybe; also, don't lump multiple "missing bonuses" together

Following up on my earlier post…

Attempt 1
I sent a "missing bonus" secure message to Discover about my German train tickets. I also had a question about another "missing bonus" from the same statement. They ask you on the secured message form how many missing bonuses you are writing about, so I decided to lump them into one message.

Don't do this. They responded to my question about the first transaction (U.S. taxi fare), but completely ignored the second (the German train ticket). But hey, I ended up with a bonus for the taxi, so there's that.

Attempt 2
Sent a second secured message about the German train ticket. Explained where I made the purchase, what I purchased, and the fact that it seemed to be miscategorized.

Response: Merchants pick the categories, we can't do anything about it (including giving you a bonus), sorry.

Note that they didn't say, "This is a foreign transaction, we're not giving you credit for that." So I'd say it's still up in the air.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 11:03 pm

Programs: DL, AA, BA, SPG
I applied for this card in May 2015. I called recently to find out the expiration date of my double miles promotion and was very surprised to be told that I am not even enrolled in the promotion. Two different reps, a supervisor, and a secure message are all telling me the same thing. According to the supervisor, there was no automatic enrollment prior to 6/1/15 and I would have had to call and ask to be enrolled. My recollection is that there was in fact automatic enrollment simply by applying and opening a new card account.

When I log in, it does say "exclusive double miles at the end of your first year." The reps are telling me that's a mistake. I suspect they are the ones who are mistaken and my login page is correct. Still, I am a little wary to keep using this card knowing I may never see the double miles.

Is anyone having the same issue? Anyone with a screenshot of the ad for this card dated prior to June 2015?
Old Jan 10, 2016, 12:22 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
If you have he Discover It Miles card then the CSRs and supervisor are Wrong. The double cash back for the Discover It card began in June 2015. The promotion for the Miles card began with the creation of the new card in February 2015 and was automatic for all new card members.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by eajusa
If you have he Discover It Miles card then the CSRs and supervisor are Wrong. The double cash back for the Discover It card began in June 2015. The promotion for the Miles card began with the creation of the new card in February 2015 and was automatic for all new card members.
Thanks. That was my recollection as well, but without proof and with three reps telling me differently I began to doubt myself. Will sit tight and wait for the miles to post in June. Not worth fighting with them now over nothing.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 7:51 pm

Just an update- the supervisor actually called me back today and told me she was mistaken and that I would be receiving the double miles at the end of my first year of cardmembership. Rare that a CSR actually calls back for anything, let alone admitting a mistake. I'm impressed.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 12:27 pm

Question is if we are going to get a 1099 with this for cash or statement credit redemption? I know they wont issue it under $600, but I am not too sure for redemption over $600. Anyone who has redeemed with Discover previously cares to shed any light. Thanks
Old Feb 9, 2016, 12:32 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Credit card rewards are a partial refund of your own money. That's not income. (There may still a tax implication if you used the card for deductible business expenses.)

Extensive discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...all-banks.html
Old Feb 9, 2016, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Credit card rewards are a partial refund of your own money. That's not income. (There may still a tax implication if you used the card for deductible business expenses.)

Extensive discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...all-banks.html
Thanks a lot Mia. I was aware how that works and those 1099's come when you open a bank account. I just thought I would confirm before I go ahead and redeem few thousand dollars for cash back.

What I was really confused about was if there is a difference between having them transfer cash to my bank or issuing it as a statement credit.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 5:38 am

I just checked my account and my "Exclusive Double Miles First Year" or whatever the language was is gone. I'm a little worried about that. My last statement closes Saturday. The terms of the doubled miles say they won't hit for a statement or two so I guess we won't know for a while.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 5:17 pm

can i get this card even when I have the 5% category discover it?

and any further info on "An annual credit up to $30 for in-flight Wi-Fi charges"? Anyone have any experience with it? Lastly, all discover cards have no FTF, right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.