Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Discover is closing its credit cards with tons of customers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discover is closing its credit cards with tons of customers

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2015, 11:30 am

I guess this could be an MS tactic for Discover? Don't use it for months and make them beg you to spend 1k. If it coincided with a quarterly category spending of grocery, we're talking 12%+ return!

Though you could also end up with a closed account for inactivity like the others above...
Old Feb 8, 2015, 12:08 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Discover closed my account after years of inactivity. I didn't mind because I was going to cancel it anyway, after years of it doing nothing more than chewing up space in my total credit line.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 7:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RTWRide
Rambo - did they send you a check for the remaining balance of your bank account? I thought bank accounts take about 24 months of no use before they close them. At least that's what happened to a Chase and a local CU accounts I had. Though I believe this is different in every state.
It had a 0 balance. Discover bank isn't a bank like a regular bank in that same way.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 9:06 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Last month Discover gave me no interest on all charges through December 2015. Problem is I pay off most of my cards every month to avoid finance charges. Perhaps if I don't use my card by year's end, Discover will close mine, as well.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by eajusa
Last month Discover gave me no interest on all charges through December 2015. Problem is I pay off most of my cards every month to avoid finance charges. Perhaps if I don't use my card by year's end, Discover will close mine, as well.
I get these not just from discover but also from Chase, BOA & Citi every day in mail.

Don't forget you have to pay balance transfer fee on all these so called 0% offers.
I tear, shred and throw them away.
I don't have to open these, I know them by looking at them.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 9:36 am

Programs: Asia Miles
Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
I get these not just from discover but also from Chase, BOA & Citi every day in mail.

Don't forget you have to pay balance transfer fee on all these so called 0% offers.
I got several balance transfer checks from Citi in the mail previously, but called them and asked not to send those checks anymore. You should be able to find the phone number to call in the mail.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 12:57 pm

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
I have not used mine for purchases for at least 6 months. I did use to buy fuel a week or so ago. Then yesterday, I got a mailer from them offering to give me 75 usd cash back bonus if I spend 1k until April 30th.

I guess I'll be a DiscoverCard guy until I hit 1k spend.
I got an offer for $100 if I spend $1000 by the end of April. I've never really used it for purchases, but have for the occasional 0% BT. Probably a year or more since I had any activity on it, but I will be happy to take them up on the 10% back offer.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 1:28 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by tev9999
I got an offer for $100 if I spend $1000 by the end of April. I've never really used it for purchases, but have for the occasional 0% BT. Probably a year or more since I had any activity on it, but I will be happy to take them up on the 10% back offer.
I've gotten offers like that before, but they wanted me to spend a heck of a lot more before I would get any cashback, so I chucked them.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 8:06 am

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
I have not used mine for purchases for at least 6 months. I did use to buy fuel a week or so ago. Then yesterday, I got a mailer from them offering to give me 75 usd cash back bonus if I spend 1k until April 30th.

I guess I'll be a DiscoverCard guy until I hit 1k spend.
Wish I could get terms like that! Or the afore mentioned $100/$1K spend, even better.

Last year my offer was Spend $2k for four months and receive $300 CB. The so called "Pick your store" spending (Walgreens) promo occurred during the afore mentioned promotion allowing simultaneous earning. Bottom line: $383 CB at the end of spend road.

My card is circa old since 1996 or so. I presently enjoy a 0% APR one year term. Requested through customer service by mentioning the other promotions I "see".

Obviously I would like to keep the account open for the present benefit, ie, FICO.

Last edited by jan_believes; Feb 10, 2015 at 8:13 am
Old Feb 10, 2015, 8:10 am

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven

So, do I (although not EVERY day!). The terms have made me want to laugh at times.

They usually get torn in half, even though I may tolerate one or two of them present until they expire or I am sure there is no reason to use them.

I agree the fees often cancel any benefit considered.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.