Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Find me a new bank checking ATM/debit card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2014, 10:11 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA, HH, UA, Marriott, SW, Club Carlson, IHG

OK, This is not really about credit cards, but banking in general.
I just got back from an international trip. I used my checking account's ATM card to get cash abroad.
Not only did they charge me a $2.50 ATM fee and a 2.8% foreign transaction fee, (which I expected) but they also gave me a really crappy exchange rate (rate at the time was about $1 US = 1.05 AUD, I got $1 US = .98 AUD).

So, can anyone suggest a national bank with a better ATM/debit card at foreign ATMs (basic checking with no monthly acct fees, or at least wavied with direct deposit or low min balance required).
Old Jul 7, 2014, 10:33 pm

Fidelity. No ATM fees and no international fees.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 10:36 pm

http://thepointsguy.com/2014/02/the-...eign-atm-fees/
Old Jul 7, 2014, 11:06 pm

Programs: HH Gold, CC Gold
Or Schwab. I've had it for over five years - used it in the UK and Australia (and here in the US) with no problem at all. I don't use it as my primary account but there's no nagging to use them except for one call about if I want to use the brokerage. Otherwise no fees.

There was a similar topic a while ago with a couple others possibles - here it is: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...-checking.html

http://www.schwab.com/public/schwab/...ecking_account

What are the fees and minimums?

Monthly service fees: $0
Account minimum: $0

What do I get with this account?

Unlimited fee rebates from any ATM worldwide1
A 0.10% APY variable interest rate on any balance2
Free bill pay on Schwab.com and Schwab Mobile
Apply for Schwab Mobile Deposit™ to deposit checks from anywhere
Free standard checks and a Visa® Platinum debit card once the account has been funded.
FDIC insurance up to $250,000
A linked Schwab One® brokerage account with no fees or minimums
Old Jul 8, 2014, 9:10 am

+1 on Schwab. Been rock solid for me the last 4 years.

All ATM fees post as a credit the last day of the month.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 9:46 am

Do any of these cards offer rewards? It seems like rewards debit cards are becoming an endangered species.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 11:53 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by MarcusBWI
Do any of these cards offer rewards? It seems like rewards debit cards are becoming an endangered species.
The Durbin Amendment effectively killed debit rewards when it capped interchange fees on debit transactions
Old Jul 8, 2014, 11:53 am

I'm very happy with Ally Bank, no ATM fees and very high savings account interest rate.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
BofA when going to a country with global ATM alliance (use it at Scotiabank in Canada, Wespac in Australia, Deutsche Bank in Germany, BNP Paribas in France, Barclays in UK)

Schwab for others
Old Jul 8, 2014, 2:07 pm

Thanks for starting this thread, OP. I've been thinking about this for awhile and now will do more research. The Schwab account looks good for all the reasons listed. One other feature I'd like - do any of these on line accounts let you deposit money orders through their mobile app?
Old Jul 8, 2014, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by wanna go now
Thanks for starting this thread, OP. I've been thinking about this for awhile and now will do more research. The Schwab account looks good for all the reasons listed. One other feature I'd like - do any of these on line accounts let you deposit money orders through their mobile app?
With Schwab, all you do is write a check to yourself and take a photo of the check with the Schwab Bank app as mobile deposit. Never done a money order but I assume it's the same way.

You can also link your Schwab account with your main bank and do an ACH transfer fund there (no fee if "pulled" from Schwab, might be a fee if you "push" it from your bank).
Old Jul 8, 2014, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by sactoflyer
Fidelity. No ATM fees and no international fees.
Another vote for Fidelity (Cash Management Account). They have been awesome.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.