Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Late payment on autoinsurance - does it affect credit score?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2014, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Globalist

I've just missed the due date for 3 days, does it matter for credit score? I don't even remember if I gave them my ssn. So hopefully not?
Old Jun 25, 2014, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by zig2
I've just missed the due date for 3 days, does it matter for credit score? I don't even remember if I gave them my ssn. So hopefully not?

Since auto insurance rates are tied to credit scores you had to give our SS # to get the policy.

BTW, I think using credit scores for auto insurance is BS, just an excuse to raise a safe drivers rates
Old Jun 26, 2014, 2:58 am

Programs: (PM)AA SPG (Marriott), Hilton
Originally Posted by zig2
You are likely ok.

If you pulled your credit report and the insurance company isn't on it, they probably won't be reporting this. A more serious issue like a default judgement could make it to your CR, but an insurance company will probably cancel your policy.

Even most CC's are reported to let the 1st late payment go as far as reporting it goes. They might whack you the late fee. If you call them, and it's your first time, they might take it off. CC's usually don't get excited until you are over 30 days overdue.

If your insurance company hits you with a late fee, and this is your first time, call them and ask them to take it off. Worse case is they say 'no'

Internally, the insurance company could have their own score. If you are late once, probably no big deal, but a person who always pays late could be flagged as riskier and that could effect insurance rates, if the government insurance board permits them to do so in this way.

Since auto insurance rates are tied to credit scores...
This varies by governmental regulation. In the US, some states prohibit the use of credit information to set insurance rates. YMMV depending on where you garage your car.

... you had to give our SS # to get the policy.
They probably asked for it, even if they shouldn't have, because everyone asks for an SSN these days.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by reft
This varies by governmental regulation. In the US, some states prohibit the use of credit information to set insurance rates. YMMV depending on where you garage your car.

I checked after they bumped my insurance $50/6 months even with an 790 Fico as it dropped because of churning so I didn't qualify for the best rate anymore.

I believe 5 states have laws where credit scores could not be used to deny a person insurance

Only 1 state had a law where credit scores were not used to determine rates

"Five states have limitations on insurance companies' use of credit scores. Hawaii prohibits the use of credit bureau ratings in auto insurance rate determinations. Georgia, Illinois, Utah, and Washington prohibit insurers from using only credit information in decisions to cancel or deny renewals of auto insurance policies "

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.