Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

CC closed due to inactivity & steps to keep active

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CC closed due to inactivity & steps to keep active

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2017, 8:21 pm

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
Originally Posted by MDJennings
After 10 years, closed accounts drop off. Do some research.
True, but 10 years is a long time and other accounts will age which in turn will make the impact less significant.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Does anyone really feel that having an AAOA of say 8 years vs over 10 years really makes any difference? Seems like the difference between having a credit score of 790 vs 795. No big deal.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 12:55 am

Originally Posted by deant
Does anyone really feel that having an AAOA of say 8 years vs over 10 years really makes any difference? Seems like the difference between having a credit score of 790 vs 795. No big deal.
If you only have less than a handful of accounts it's not good on manual review according to the PB underwriter I spoke to. Otherwise, probably not.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 7:43 am

Programs: (PM)AA SPG (Marriott), Hilton
Originally Posted by deant
Some or all parts of a FICO score seem to be 'bucketed' not incremental. Numbers for AoA buckets could be 0-2 years, 3-5, 6-9, 10-20. For those buckets, the difference between 8 and 10 would be one bucket better, but no difference between 11 and 13.

FICO on AoA: [1]
"There are two metrics in this category: the average age of the accounts on your report and the age of the oldest account. How long your credit accounts have been established, including the age of your oldest account, the age of your newest account and an average age of all your accounts. How long specific credit accounts have been established. How long it has been since you used certain accounts"
Given what the horses mouth says, it's hard to tell what 8 or 10 years does for an instant score taken right now, or how your score might be impacted later, or by the different scores in use today.

Each specific card holder has their own situation. 8 or 10 or 790 vs 795 may not matter for you but could be more important for someone else.

[1] http://www.myfico.com/credit-educati...-credit-score/
Old May 1, 2017, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by swiftaw
I usually buy $1 amazon gift cards on the cards i use very infrequently.
Ditto. Gets better that some banks will, also, credit back low balances.
Old May 2, 2017, 1:19 am

Programs: SK*G, QR*G
Originally Posted by Often1
You are costing Barclay's money and risk. And, you are not generating any revenue for the bank. So they fired you.
What are the cost for the bank to have a cc account open (when you don't use the card) ? I guess it's the printing and mailing of the actual card, account statement if sent by mail. What other costs do they pay?
Old May 2, 2017, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nick5000
What are the cost for the bank to have a cc account open (when you don't use the card) ? I guess it's the printing and mailing of the actual card, account statement if sent by mail. What other costs do they pay?
Not even that. You typically don't get statements mailed to you in most statement cycles if nothing happens on the card (no balance, no activity, nothing earned), even if you're set up for "paper statements".

On inactive cards, I may get a promo mailing (most often for a balance transfer) once in a while, but not monthly statements. And I have all my cards set to paper statements.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.