Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

2014 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 22, 2014, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
This thread is an archive of messages from threads started in 2014 requesting advice on proposed credit card App-o-Rama (AOR) or "churns". These threads are seldom revived after the Original Poster reports results, but they generate a large number of false positives when using Search this Forum to locate discussions of specific cards.

The 2013 archive is here:

2013 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive
Print Wikipost

2014 App-O-Rama (AOR) and Churn Advice Archive

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2014, 1:26 am

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
Getting more than 2 at a time is tough, so yes.

Think about prioritizing them by some combination of value and likely expiration date of the offers.
That's pretty much what I thought. I've already got my list going, ordered by value and likelihood that they'll still be around in 3-6 months. Thankfully there will be 2 of doing AORs, so we should be able to pull in most of the key features between the two of us. Thanks for the confirmation that we're on the right path.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 1:29 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
I think what happens is people jump in this game a couple of months before they want to take a trip and RUSH to get all the points ASAP...
I think you're right, but the situation is pretty much the opposite in my case. We've already got all our travel for 2014 already paid for at this point. My problem is that I'm looking down the road, trying to figure out the fastest way to get these cards and start the clock so I can churn them again in the future. That, and SW just started flying out of my home airport, so the companion pass is suddenly very interesting to me, especially if I can get it sooner rather than later in the year.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 2:05 am

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
My bad, yes, they need to go through a Hotel first, like Marriot then off to SW..
Marriott is not a good idea unless you're transferring a bunch with a bonus. I believe Hyatt points work the best (5K to 2.4?) if transferred in small numbers.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 2:08 am

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by g8trgr8t
how often do these flash offers pop up and where is best place to watch for them??
Not often, but I believe I saw at least three last year (?), and they lasted like a day or two each.

Where to watch for them? We have a dedicated Amex thread here in Credit Card Programs, although I'm sure the excitement will spill over
Old Jan 6, 2014, 2:46 am

Programs: AA:EXP, GLD:A.Argen., Etihad; Turk SIL:UA, VS; HOT.GLD:ClubC, Loews, SPG; PL:Ritz, Hil, IHG, BtW., R
Tony, for your wife, in case you didn't know

Originally Posted by AnthonyGT
I've almost completed the spend on my first 6 cards from back in Nov.(link below) I will end up with(including prior points),:
Hilton: 65,000
AMEX MR: 65,000
AAdvantage: 100,000
SWA RR: 100,000
Chase UR: 45,000
MAke sure not to put each other s authorized users on each others account, or it will look like each of you have twice as much credit (yours and hers). You can do an authorized used with a child with a SS# or parent if they aren't into credit.

Just my 2 cents,for what it's worth.

rodsren

Last edited by MDtR-Chicago; Feb 22, 2014 at 12:18 pm Reason: fix quote
Old Jan 6, 2014, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by mnscout
Not often, but I believe I saw at least three last year (?), and they lasted like a day or two each.

Where to watch for them? We have a dedicated Amex thread here in Credit Card Programs, although I'm sure the excitement will spill over
thanks. will keep my eyes open but don't always have time for daily check. 50k would definitely motivate me to file an application
Old Jan 6, 2014, 1:52 pm

I'm new to this and would like some advise.

I currently have a 666 Credit score with Trans and 700 with Experian.

I recently signed up for on October 1st Arrival (1K CL)and CSP (5K)

I would like to sign up for new cards soon, but I am concerned with my credit score. I currently have 1 negative from 6 years ago that was an unpaid college housing bill. Other than that I have no missed payments. I have a mortgage AAoA is less than 2 years as I had never really used credit before the mortgage. Utilization is at about 3% and I have 4 hard pulls total in the past 12 months on all CR combined.

Is it too risky to add any new CC to what I have? Here is what I would like to do.

I would like to get the Freedom card while it is 20,000 points
Citi AA executive card for 50k points
Amex Old Cash blue card (I may do a decent amount of MS)

Is this a risky move? I am also planning on taking a trip that would like to stay at a hyatt and I would like to APP again around summer time to get the Two weekend certificate from Hyatt?

Am I crazing thinking about doing another set of Apps right now? I get that the reward on the cards I am looking at getting really are not that great all things considered. Any advise would be great.

Thanks
Old Jan 6, 2014, 2:09 pm

hmmm

Originally Posted by whitey4545
I'm new to this and would like some advise.

Am I crazing thinking about doing another set of Apps right now? I get that the reward on the cards I am looking at getting really are not that great all things considered. Any advise would be great.

Thanks
With your credit score it will be pretty rough to get approved. That being said, you can still TRY to apply, just don't be overly aggressive, and expect lots of rejections. You can always call recon and explain.

The worst is they'll reject you and you'll not be able to apply for 6 months... which isn't going to hurt you anyway.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 2:13 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
I currently have 1 negative from 6 years ago that was an unpaid college housing bill.
So this will drop off next year?

One approach would be to just wait the year out. (Which, incidentally, is what I would do, for what that's worth.)

The other would be to arrange to have it taken off your report now. There are many (legitimate) ways of doing this, especially if you're prepared to actually pay some portion of it.

Best resource for that would be to go to the forums at myfico.com and search for either "pay for delete" or "goodwill letter", depending on if you've actually paid it yet or not.

(Incidentally, why would you get an AA Executive card with a huge annual fee rather than a Platinum? Are you going to use the lounge access that much?)
Old Jan 6, 2014, 2:40 pm

I actually paid the bill the day after they sent it to collections. I (college athlete) was told by the coaching staff that they would pay my housing and all I wanted was for the coach to tell me that I was lied to and I had to pay the bill and I would have paid it on time and I told them that they entire time. Not to mention that this was a high ranking Jesuit institution that told me they would not send me to collections and we had an understanding.

Sorry long story short it is paid and I would love to know of a way to get it removed early from my credit report.

I meant the platinum AA card and said the wrong card.

How much will getting that removed impact my credit? All other credit has been paid on time.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 2:51 pm

How much will getting that removed impact my credit? All other credit has been paid on time.
When the last negative mark from my misspent youth fell off, it was ~40 points gain.

Since you paid it, either wait one more year or research a goodwill letter, as I referenced above.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 2:52 pm

I find for the most part people get carried away and start going after cards for no real reason. The standard question I ask is what is you goal? Do you want domestic travel or International or a combo of both?

The newbie's don't know a lot of in's and out's of the transfer partners. Now if you want the companion pass, then go after both SW cards, as well as the CSP. These three cards will give you enough points for the companion pass, SW is a travel partner with UR.

So in three cards, you will have one of the best travel bargains in the US... We take one travel trip in the US a month because of this, our last one was to Key West.

I always suggest to go off the bloggers and find at least two that you life and go through their web sites LOTS of info to learn from.

No one can tell you what to go after, but educating yourself in this game is something YOU need to do. Asking questions to clarify a misunderstanding is different then wanting people to tell you what to do.

This is one hobby that takes time, take a weekend lock yourself in your room with snacks and drinks and read whole threads, yes some are a few years old, but understanding how the game has evolved will give you an understanding on how to play it.
Meh, when you are just starting out, you don't really know what works, so getting a lot of cards in different programs isn't a terrible thing as you quickly learn what programs are junk, and what aren't. Reading about it, without have miles in your account and trying to figure out the nitty gritty is almost a fool's errand.

Heck, even a year later of starting this game, and a few million in redemptions under my belt, I am still surprised how worthless Skypesos are, even when SO is Diamond. Yet well known pimps (who "proudly censor") are out there praising that worthless program - bottom line is you can't trust much what is spewed online - you just gotta try it yourself.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by rodsren
MAke sure not to put each other s authorized users on each others account, or it will look like each of you have twice as much credit (yours and hers). You can do an authorized used with a child with a SS# or parent if they aren't into credit.

Just my 2 cents,for what it's worth.

rodsren
Even though it wasn't aimed at me, thanks, that's very useful info. To make sure I'm understanding correctly: it's never a good idea to add an authorized user who may be doing an AOR of their own? Because the next time they go to apply for a card, it shows up as them having their credit limits on all of their cards, as well as the limits on all of your cards that they're an authorized user on. Is that right?
Old Jan 6, 2014, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by bobert24
To make sure I'm understanding correctly: it's never a good idea to add an authorized user who may be doing an AOR of their own?
Not never... if the authorized user has a thin credit file or a high utilization, it could theoretically be helpful to have additional empty credit lines available.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
Not never... if the authorized user has a thin credit file or a high utilization, it could theoretically be helpful to have additional empty credit lines available.
This.

I added my girlfriend as an AU, as she has some CC debt and I received a bonus for it. At the same time it actually added a nice CL to her thin file, which bumped her score up 15 points to better than mine at 760

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.