Search

Best card for $30k charge at St Regis

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2014, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is the hotel in the US?
Old Feb 14, 2014, 3:01 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I do a lot of corporate events/meetings with Hyatt and one of the best things I can suggest, besides paying with a credit card, is to figure out how many SPG points you are getting through the SPG program.

I don't know if SPG is like Hyatt, but if so, they are not going to give you 2x SPG points on your charges through the SPG membership. I receive 3x my spend on the Hyatt CC because they are direct charges, but Hyatt does not allow me to receive 5x HGP points on my full meeting/event spending. During negotiations, I determine how many points I should receive by doing the full ordeal.

If SPG allows this, then that is awesome, it's just something to be aware of.

(Sorry cash-wishing people, I can make points worth way more than any discount they have ever extended to me.)
Old Feb 14, 2014, 3:18 pm

Programs: HH Gold-IHG Plat
Yup good to discuss before. Same happens to my wife when she host company events and offsite events. She needs to negotiate the points.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
Is the hotel in the US?
An excellent question, as the SPG Amex still imposes a foreign transaction fee if the hotel is outside the US.

But assuming it is in the US, count me for another vote for the SPG Amex, with Gold Status obtained via the Amex Platinum (or any other route). Of course, make sure the event will qualify for points through the hotel and that the credit limit is sufficient to cover the charge (my SPG credit limit, for some reason, is a fraction of any other limit I have, so it's not a guarantee that they'll extend a 30K limit to a new card).

All this being said, you might want to inquire a little further about travel plans -- I know you said that airline hasn't been decided yet, but it's definitely worth mentioning that SPG has a small selection of airlines that don't get the full 1:1 transfer, United perhaps being the most notable, at only 2:1.

If you can provide some idea of travel preferences, there's a possibility that a different strategy may be better.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Daveyb101
An excellent question, as the SPG Amex still imposes a foreign transaction fee if the hotel is outside the US.

But assuming it is in the US, count me for another vote for the SPG Amex, with Gold Status obtained via the Amex Platinum (or any other route). Of course, make sure the event will qualify for points through the hotel and that the credit limit is sufficient to cover the charge (my SPG credit limit, for some reason, is a fraction of any other limit I have, so it's not a guarantee that they'll extend a 30K limit to a new card).

All this being said, you might want to inquire a little further about travel plans -- I know you said that airline hasn't been decided yet, but it's definitely worth mentioning that SPG has a small selection of airlines that don't get the full 1:1 transfer, United perhaps being the most notable, at only 2:1.

If you can provide some idea of travel preferences, there's a possibility that a different strategy may be better.
Thanks again everyone for the help.

The tips about negotiating points is very helpful to know.

The wedding will be in the US and Asia will be the main destination for miles usage from either LAX or JFK.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 8:04 pm

Programs: DL Diamond

How big/small is the wedding and which property? We looked at a couple st regis locations (punta mita and Puerto Rico) and all seemed like the total bill would be well in excess of $50k for just 75-80 people...
Old Feb 14, 2014, 11:48 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, DL Silver, AA Gold, UA Silver

Just to temper expectations, I had my wedding at a StR and for any event related expenses, they did not give 3 points for every dollar spent (w SPG Gold) like for regular room stay charges. They only gave 1 point for every $3 spent, so in essence, one-ninth the earning rate. Not sure if this was property specific, but be prepared to earn only 10k points for $30k of wedding spend for being an SPG member. You would still earn regular points for the credit card spend.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 8:41 am

As a practical matter, if you do not have SPG Amex currently, you could get your spouse-to-be to open a card as well and get 2 bonuses as well as split the costs across the 2 cards which would lower the credit limit threshold needed for the 30K charge. Same applies to the CSP if you decide to go that route. Foreign card charge elimination by using the CSP is significant in this case.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DC777Fan
How big/small is the wedding and which property? We looked at a couple st regis locations (punta mita and Puerto Rico) and all seemed like the total bill would be well in excess of $50k for just 75-80 people...
I'm not sure how big the wedding will be, but it's a St. Regis in Cali. I'm hoping it's cheaper than what you saw.

Originally Posted by SPSTiger
Just to temper expectations, I had my wedding at a StR and for any event related expenses, they did not give 3 points for every dollar spent (w SPG Gold) like for regular room stay charges. They only gave 1 point for every $3 spent, so in essence, one-ninth the earning rate. Not sure if this was property specific, but be prepared to earn only 10k points for $30k of wedding spend for being an SPG member. You would still earn regular points for the credit card spend.
Ouch, I will make sure to let them know to talk to the hotel to confirm how many points they will earn.

Originally Posted by xooz
As a practical matter, if you do not have SPG Amex currently, you could get your spouse-to-be to open a card as well and get 2 bonuses as well as split the costs across the 2 cards which would lower the credit limit threshold needed for the 30K charge. Same applies to the CSP if you decide to go that route. Foreign card charge elimination by using the CSP is significant in this case.
That's a good idea!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.