Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Post your receipt of your 1st EMV based transaction in the US

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Post your receipt of your 1st EMV based transaction in the US

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2014, 2:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

WM near Pearl City (Oahu) Sunday accepted my AMEX. In fact the mag strip option was disabled which threw me off.

Also saw one at the downtown Costco. Tried several insertions, but no luck.
Old May 3, 2014, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by beckoa
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

WM near Pearl City (Oahu) Sunday accepted my AMEX. In fact the mag strip option was disabled which threw me off.

Also saw one at the downtown Costco. Tried several insertions, but no luck.
The only places EMV will work in the US are at Wal-Mart and at some shops using systems provided by either First Data or Chase Paymentech. Most merchants have the terminals, but have EMV disabled. Costco surprises me though, they're one of the few that I thought didn't have the terminals anywhere.

The magstripe reader wasn't disabled at your Wal-Mart, BTW, if EMV is enabled you can't swipe an EMV card. If you could, EMV would be utterly pointless.
Old May 3, 2014, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by beckoa

Added it to the map over at http://emvacceptedhere.com/ (I think. There was only one in Pearl City according to Google, at least.)
Old May 3, 2014, 5:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tmiw
Added it to the map over at http://emvacceptedhere.com/ (I think. There was only one in Pearl City according to Google, at least.)
There doesn't seem to be much on the west coast right now. I wonder if any of the Walmarts in places like LA have EMV readers enabled (Popular tourist area).
Old May 3, 2014, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by reclusive46
There doesn't seem to be much on the west coast right now. I wonder if any of the Walmarts in places like LA have EMV readers enabled (Popular tourist area).
There's a couple of EMV enabled places on the West Coast mentioned in this thread. I need to add them to the map too.

BTW, anyone can add new entries to the map as well.
Old May 3, 2014, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Okay, the places mentioned in this thread should all be on the map. Feel free to report an entry if you see a problem.
Old May 3, 2014, 7:56 pm

Walmart in Helena, MT is now enabled as well. I added it to your map
Old May 3, 2014, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by alexmt
Walmart in Helena, MT is now enabled as well. I added it to your map
You went all the way to Helena to try it out?
Old May 3, 2014, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by kebosabi
You went all the way to Helena to try it out?
No I bought some stuff at Walmart while in Helena. LOL
Old May 4, 2014, 10:33 pm

P.S. I was back at Walmart in Helena today, so I can confirm this wasn't a fluke - it's much, much faster than in Missoula.

Missoula it's honestly pretty darn slow. Not unbearable, but... like dial-up card processing is, ya know? In Helena it's lightning fast - the fastest I've seen EMV run, just a few seconds.

Wonder why they're different?
Old May 4, 2014, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another liquor store by my house looked like they had a terminal with EMV support (and a contactless reader), but the clerk took my card and swiped it himself with another terminal.

Also, one of my local Costco stores didn't have EMV. Honestly, though, I expect Costco to be one of the last holdouts. They pretty much know where you live by virtue of needing to be a member, so why commit credit card fraud there?
Old May 4, 2014, 10:45 pm

Another liquor store by my house looked like they had a terminal with EMV support (and a contactless reader), but the clerk took my card and swiped it himself with another terminal.

Also, one of my local Costco stores didn't have EMV. Honestly, though, I expect Costco to be one of the last holdouts. They pretty much know where you live by virtue of needing to be a member, so why commit credit card fraud there?
Exactly, Costco is VERY anti-EMV, though their extremely vocal opposition died down after Target. Costco, like Target, is also one of the chains that doesn't already have the hardware everywhere.

You're right in that no one would USE stolen data at Costco, but I think Target made places like Costco wake up and realise that being liable for the use of stolen cards is only half the battle, not, yourself, being the SOURCE of counterfeit cards matters too.
Old May 4, 2014, 10:48 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

In my experience, very few people use credit cards at Costco, and many of them are using the Costco-branded Amex. They don't take Visa or Mastercard, which are by far the most common, so the majority of shoppers use cash or debit anyway.
Old May 4, 2014, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by cbn42
In my experience, very few people use credit cards at Costco, and many of them are using the Costco-branded Amex. They don't take Visa or Mastercard, which are by far the most common, so the majority of shoppers use cash or debit anyway.
Debit is going EMV too...
Old May 4, 2014, 11:09 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by alexmt
Debit is going EMV too...
Yes, but debit already uses PIN so there's less pressure to switch to chip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.