Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Post your receipt of your 1st EMV based transaction in the US

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Post your receipt of your 1st EMV based transaction in the US

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2015, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by reclusive46
Some of the smaller building societies (equivalent to US credit unions) will decline all magnetic stripe transactions unless you inform them your going abroad. Which isn't great as some UK merchants (like parking meters) still use the magnetic stripe.
I don't get why they care about magstripe in the UK? I mean, they're not liable for any fraud - the merchant is.

Sorry for the confusion, it made in sense in my head, I promise

Yeah its usually magnetic stripe transactions that raise suspicion in the US.
Hopefully, they'll become quite rare by the end of the year.

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I think he's saying that non U S merchants will stop voiding/hassling signature transactions if they don't have to worry so much about charge back on chip + sig card liability not affecting them directly.
No, he wasn't saying anything remotely resembling that.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 2:26 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Today I was so hungry I could eat at Arby's - old Simpsons reference , and this location had a new First Data EMV terminal that wasn't there during my last visit about six months ago:

Old Sep 1, 2015, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by Majuki
Today I was so hungry I could eat at Arby's - old Simpsons reference , and this location had a new First Data EMV terminal that wasn't there during my last visit about six months ago:

I was just coming to post literally this same place. Interesting thing was that my Amex Platinum wouldn't go through (the screen said "Invalid Transaction") and I had to fall back to my BOA Visa.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by NYCFlyer10001
I was just coming to post literally this same place. Interesting thing was that my Amex Platinum wouldn't go through (the screen said "Invalid Transaction") and I had to fall back to my BOA Visa.
This exact Arby's? Small world!

This was with a Chase Sapphire Preferred, but I can try my AmEx Platinum the next time I'm there.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 12:14 am

This exact Arby's? Small world!

This was with a Chase Sapphire Preferred, but I can try my AmEx Platinum the next time I'm there.
The one thing that's weird, is it is running slightly different firmware or at least printed a slightly different receipt this time. Note the Chip Card: line and it printing the last 4 of the card # whereas yours didn't:

Old Sep 2, 2015, 12:54 am

The one thing that's weird, is it is running slightly different firmware or at least printed a slightly different receipt this time. Note the Chip Card: line and it printing the last 4 of the card # whereas yours didn't:
The Chip Card line is different, but I masked the last four numbers with XXXX on my receipt.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 1:33 am

The Chip Card line is different, but I masked the last four numbers with XXXX on my receipt.
Don't take this wrong, but I'm genuinely curious what you're worried about people doing with the last four digits, a one time use cryptogram, and a response code that means nothing to anyone but the parties involved? Receipts are designed to NOT have anything you can use to use the card so that they don't have to be disposed of as confidential waste. Unlike in the old days when they printed the PAN on the receipt.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 4:45 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Welcome to the first two years of Amex chip problems In just about every country EMV has been rolled out in, they have managed to mess it up somehow. Canada still has problems.

Those are some weird authorisation codes though, as a merchant myself and consumer I've never seen one with letters in!
Old Sep 2, 2015, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by AllieKat
Don't take this wrong, but I'm genuinely curious what you're worried about people doing with the last four digits, a one time use cryptogram, and a response code that means nothing to anyone but the parties involved? Receipts are designed to NOT have anything you can use to use the card so that they don't have to be disposed of as confidential waste. Unlike in the old days when they printed the PAN on the receipt.
I was simply following the trend here, so I don't know why you're calling me out specifically. Are all of those numbers of absolutely zero value even if one were to call the establishment and do some social engineering? I'll concede that the likelihood of this is extremely low, but I don't want to be like the guy from LifeLock advertising information publicly.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 11:29 am

I was simply following the trend here, so I don't know why you're calling me out specifically. Are all of those numbers of absolutely zero value even if one were to call the establishment and do some social engineering? I'll concede that the likelihood of this is extremely low, but I don't want to be like the guy from LifeLock advertising information publicly.
As far as I know they're of absolutely zero value but that's why I asked you LOL. I wasn't calling you out and I did worry you'd take it that way - I was genuinely curious if you had a reason that I didn't know of. Since you were following others, open question - does anyone know of any potential attacks against the data on a receipt? I regularly toss them in non-secure trash assuming they're fine.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 12:28 pm

As far as I know they're of absolutely zero value but that's why I asked you LOL. I wasn't calling you out and I did worry you'd take it that way - I was genuinely curious if you had a reason that I didn't know of. Since you were following others, open question - does anyone know of any potential attacks against the data on a receipt? I regularly toss them in non-secure trash assuming they're fine.
I wasn't trying to come off as defensive, but my response was based on curiosity as well. I also throw away my fair share of receipts and don't get bent out of shape if I don't receive a final copy of the receipt - two exceptions are 1) DCC and 2) signed in tips.

In fact, I did include the last 4 digits of the card number on an earlier receipt from Walmart, so for those curious you can scroll back through the thread.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 2:06 pm

Unlike in the old days when they printed the PAN on the receipt.
This is becoming a problem again in the UK. Because most merchant terminals don't supply a customer copy on contactless transactions, the merchant often reprints the merchant copy which has the full pan and expiry on it!

I often end up with these type of receipts!
Old Sep 2, 2015, 3:47 pm

This is becoming a problem again in the UK. Because most merchant terminals don't supply a customer copy on contactless transactions, the merchant often reprints the merchant copy which has the full pan and expiry on it!

I often end up with these type of receipts!
Really? In the UK I haven't got that once... tons of times I don't get a receipt for contactless, but never once have I got one with the PAN.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 7:57 pm

Really? In the UK I haven't got that once... tons of times I don't get a receipt for contactless, but never once have I got one with the PAN.
Yeah. It happens an awful to me at Nandos and Giraffe as well as a local convenience store.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 1:38 am

Yeah. It happens an awful to me at Nandos and Giraffe as well as a local convenience store.
That's bizarre. If they want to give receipts, why not just program the machine to give a receipt (like Tesco does). Otherwise just... Don't give receipts. Like you're not supposed to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.