Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] Barclays US Airways CC offers [EXPIRED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2014, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
<removed all expired links> (philemer)

*** Historical information follows: ***

Do not use a Preferred Application (10K Anniversay bonus) if you are not Preferred Elite. The reconsideration csr said as of December 11, 2014 the Preferred numbers are programmed in their computer and non-Preferred are immediately kicked out with no credit check. You cannot apply for any Barclays card for 30 days after rejection.

from the rejection letter I received:
The Dividend Miles number you provided on the application does not currently reflect a Preferred Status within the Dividend Miles program, and unfortunately this offer is only available to Dividend Miles members with Preferred Status. A credit report was not used in making this determination.

Note: If you are an existing cardholder of the older version of this card with a perpetual anniversary bonus, please ask account questions here:
[EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary

Check Application Status

Current offers:
There is a new (as of Dec. 4, 2014) public offer for 50,000 bonus miles after the first purchase, $89 annual fee is not waived:
http://www.worldgotbigger.com/us-airways-credit-card/

There is also an offer for 50k now and 10k at first anniversary, for preferred members only, reported by jrobinson5 in Post 935 - but see that post for the link and that user's difficulties with it.

Older offers that may still work:

50k Offers - There are individually targeted offers circulating for a 50k signup bonus. No one has yet identified a way to apply without actually receiving a personalized code from Barclays in advance.

40k miles after first purchase; $89 annual fee NOT waived [This is the standard public offer]

40k miles after first purchase plus 10k miles at first (and only first) anniversary; $89 annual fee NOT waived [Note: For"Preferred Members Only"; for similar offers, this has been sporadically enforced - see the anniversary miles thread below for historical data]

Alternately, there is a long-running 35,000 mile offer with first year fee waived and 10,000 miles every anniversary:

Fee waived, no spend, US Airways Card, 35K (WIKI) Now dead - However, see that thread for 30k + 10k anniversary offer

(All offers with perpetual anniversary bonus are no longer available)

FAQ's
What will happen to this card when American and US Airways mileage plans are merged ?
The best information we has says that when that happens, Barclays will no longer be able to issue new cards, but your existing card will continue to be serviced by Barclays and become an American Airlines "red" credit card with benefits similar to the Citi AA Platinum card now issued (http://mommypoints.boardingarea.com/...erican-merger/)

Can I churn this card?
Yes

When can I apply for my 2nd/3rd/etc cards?
The general consensus is that you wait 6 months between applications with calling for recon significantly reducing your chances (better to get instant approval). YMMV. Note that in late 2014 there were several successful reports of people applying sooner than 6 months.

Do I have to close already existing accounts before applications for subsequent cards?
No but as always, YMMV

What's the reconsideration line number?
1-866-408-4064. Only open M-F, 8am-5pm Eastern time.
1-866-951-1437, After-hours (24/7)

When do the bonus miles post?
The annual fee will usually be charged in the first billing cycle. So assuming you made another purchase of at least $0.01 during the first billing cycle, the bonus miles will be credited to your account on the second billing cycle. If the AF doesn't post until the 2nd cycle, and you wait til the stmt. appears, your miles will not post until the 3rd cycle.

Key things to note with these new cards:
1. The previous cards waived the first year's annual fee and offered 10k for holding the card another year whereby the annual fee was charged. FTers, however, reported that Barclays did not clawback the 10k bonus after cancelling the card shortly after the AF posted.

2. The new cards' T&Cs this time explicitly state that the bonus will post upon payment of the AF (which is not waived) given that the fee isn't rescinded.

-Does this mean they will clawback the points?
Not enough data to confirm this

-If they don't plan to clawback the miles, how do they enforce the new terms?
They could, in theory, award the bonus after the period in which you could request a refund of the AF expires

Can I make a purchase and pre-pay the $89 AF prior to the first statement posting and receive the bonus miles?
Maybe. As of now, there are at least three data points stating this has been done successfully. Make a purchase of $0.01 $1 or more then use bill pay to make the payment and include the $89 AF (e.g. - a $1 purchase requires a $90 payment). If done correctly, the bonus miles (and the spend miles) will post on your first statement and to US Airways one day after the statement closes.

However, there are at least 2 reports (see #400) of having done the above and the AF did not bill in the first cycle (hence no posting of sign up bonus in that cycle). See the post for a possible explanation.

PLEASE POST if you applied again (FEB-APRIL, 2015), and after approval, ACTUALLY GOT the eligible bonus second time around after your approval and one time spend. That's really what peeps want to know.
Print Wikipost

[EXPIRED] Barclays US Airways CC offers [EXPIRED]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2014, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by eSurfer
Question: when does the Annual Fee typically come up, in your first statement, second statement, or ...?

I am asking this question, because my first statement just posted within a few days after I activated my card and made an immediate purchase online, but this first statement does not show the annual fee, only having that first purchase. Of course, I haven't made any payment yet.

Should I be worried?
Did you get this offer or another one for 30,000 miles w/o annual fee? Just asking as there are a few U.S. Airways cards out there.

From my experience the fee posts during first statement, but I never had a statement from Barclays that closed faster than 14 days. So, in your case, there maybe is a lag of a week or two for the fee to post?

Cheers,

PedroNY
Old Apr 18, 2014, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by PedroNY
Did you get this offer or another one for 30,000 miles w/o annual fee? Just asking as there are a few U.S. Airways cards out there.

From my experience the fee posts during first statement, but I never had a statement from Barclays that closed faster than 14 days. So, in your case, there maybe is a lag of a week or two for the fee to post?

Cheers,

PedroNY
Yeah, I got it with the AF offer. I even received an Email confirming the 40K bonus miles with AF payment after I activated the card.

Last edited by eSurfer; Apr 18, 2014 at 8:16 am
Old Apr 18, 2014, 3:34 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
First statement closed with first purchase and annual fee, but no bonus miles.. Anyone had to wait until 2nd statement? The last 10 US Air cards between my group has has the miles posted first statement each time..

Edit: Never mind, I see the wiki saying the AF has to be paid off first for this one..
Old Apr 19, 2014, 5:59 am

Programs: US DMS, UA, AA, SW, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold Plus, Amtrak
Originally Posted by frudd38
First statement closed with first purchase and annual fee, but no bonus miles.. Anyone had to wait until 2nd statement? The last 10 US Air cards between my group has has the miles posted first statement each time..

Edit: Never mind, I see the wiki saying the AF has to be paid off first for this one..
Yes, I did not get my bonus miles until the 2nd statement. The AF was on the first one.

Also, don't know if this happened to anyone else, but I had applied through a link off US website, which was 30K bonus miles after payment of AF and one purchase. Add'l up to 10K for bal. trans. However, I only got coded for 25K for AF and purchase. Paperwork that came with the card confirmed 25K, and I had nothing else that said 30K specifically for my card.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 9:52 pm

Programs: LFFRS BOD
Originally Posted by duranza
just checked status and said not approved.. will have to call .. ugh

ETA: ok got approved by moving 5k cl from World Arrival, initial denial was due to applying back in Jan for a 2nd us air cc.
Cad arrived today, but no statement date listed.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 7:37 am
Suspended

Data point: Just got the 10k bonus on my original card. Cancelled before the AF hit. So far, no clawback.

Question: card has been cancelled for going on 1 week. I know you can apply for card #2 while still having #1. Unfortunately, Barclay's doesn't like me (ha!), and hasn't given me a card #2.

Now that I've cancelled card #1, I'm wondering...is it too soon to apply for 2?
Old Apr 23, 2014, 9:11 am

Programs: AA, BA, SPG Gold
First statement closed after having the card for 3 days. Made 1 purchase for $5.10 which posted, but the annual fee did not post. I imagine it will post next month, but just curious if this had happened to anyone else.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 5:46 pm

No Notice of Lesser Card?

Misposted

Last edited by jkroncke; Apr 24, 2014 at 9:06 am Reason: Misposted
Old Apr 24, 2014, 6:38 am

15,000 Bonus?

I know some people (at least with the annual fee waived offer) were reporting getting the 30,000 miles, making one purchase, sock drawering, then few months later getting offer for additional 15,000 miles for spending.

Does anyone have any idea if they are still doing this offer even with the offer that doesn't waive the annual fee?
Old Apr 24, 2014, 10:48 am

Programs: AA, BA, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by adandro
I know some people (at least with the annual fee waived offer) were reporting getting the 30,000 miles, making one purchase, sock drawering, then few months later getting offer for additional 15,000 miles for spending.

Does anyone have any idea if they are still doing this offer even with the offer that doesn't waive the annual fee?
I'm working on that offer now for my first US Air card. $750 spend each month in April, May, June. I got a targeted email. My husband opened the same card within days of me opening mine and he did not receive the offer. Don't know about the AF part.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Data point

Received card on March 17 & quickly made a $34 purchase. The stmt closed a week later (3/24). The AF appeared on the 2nd stmt (4/24) and I paid it the next day. Still no 40K bonus miles. According to my calculations the 40K should have posted a day or two after the 2nd stmt. (4/25 or 4/26). I'll send a SM if they don't post by tomorrow.

Am I correct or misinterpreting the process/timeline?
Old Apr 29, 2014, 5:00 pm

Programs: United Airlines Premier, Starwood Gold Preferred Guest, Hyatt Gold Passport, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by philemer
Received card on March 17 & quickly made a $34 purchase. The stmt closed a week later (3/24). The AF appeared on the 2nd stmt (4/24) and I paid it the next day. Still no 40K bonus miles. According to my calculations the 40K should have posted a day or two after the 2nd stmt. (4/25 or 4/26). I'll send a SM if they don't post by tomorrow.

Am I correct or misinterpreting the process/timeline?
The miles will appear after the statement that shows you paid the annual fee, which means it won't post until after the statement of May 24th. Since you technically already paid the AF, you can send them an SM and see if they will post it early.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 5:22 pm
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
for those who have gotten the bonus 15k for $750 spend/month for 3 months -- have you gotten it more than once in a year? by that I mean your rolling 12 month cycle.

because at this point instead of sock-drawering the card, I'm leaning towards just going full steam ahead for the 10k EQMS for $25k spend in a year.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by vtqanh
The miles will appear after the statement that shows you paid the annual fee, which means it won't post until after the statement of May 24th. Since you technically already paid the AF, you can send them an SM and see if they will post it early.
Thanks. I edited the WIKI to cover this situation. I'm in no hurry for the miles.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 12:38 pm

Programs: United Airlines Premier, Starwood Gold Preferred Guest, Hyatt Gold Passport, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by philemer
Thanks. I edited the WIKI to cover this situation. I'm in no hurry for the miles.
Cool! I have heard of a simple trick, which is to send a payment to cover the AF before the statement that has the AF is out, that will get the miles to post after that statement. I haven't personally verified this, but will give it a try the next time I go for this card again

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.