Community
Wiki Posts
Search

4 Hard pulls!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2013, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

4 Hard pulls!

With my last churn of 3 cards I went from 1 hard pull to 4 hard pulls and dropped my credit score from 759 to 742 (good)! I am in the planning process to take 6 to Hawaii in May and I need to start building hilton points. I have the points for the flights. How long before my credit recovers the 8 points I need to get back to excellent? I've researched this forum but haven't gotten a feel for how long it takes for these hard pulls to drop off....Thank you!
Old Dec 27, 2013, 4:42 pm

My personal experience has been that score reductions from hard pulls for new credit cards negatively impact my score for around 3 months. After around 3 months, then my score comes back up.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 5:07 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by orbit1
With my last churn of 3 cards I went from 1 hard pull to 4 hard pulls and dropped my credit score from 759 to 742 (good)! I am in the planning process to take 6 to Hawaii in May and I need to start building hilton points. I have the points for the flights. How long before my credit recovers the 8 points I need to get back to excellent? I've researched this forum but haven't gotten a feel for how long it takes for these hard pulls to drop off....Thank you!
there is nothing wrong with a 742. if you have a long redit history you will most likely be approved for the hilton cards you need. may is real low season you may find hotel rooms at the hiltons very cheap, to the point that 2 barclay arrival cards with 40k may get you 2 plus nights each card and that may be way beter than using points
Old Dec 27, 2013, 5:59 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Lol. I too understood OP's post without trouble so maybe someone's reading comprehension is just a bit off.

OP, with a 742 and only 4 hard inquiries, Id go ahead an apply.

Last edited by philemer; Dec 27, 2013 at 6:45 pm Reason: removed quote since it is now deleted.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 6:11 pm

Hard pulls are dropped from credit reports after 1 year but generally the bank will not take it into consideration if the pull was more than 6 months ago. 742 vs 759 isn't big enough of a difference to be the deciding factor between denial or approval. There are other factors which play as much of an important role such as avg length of accounts, amount of open credit with the bank, outstanding debt, your income, etc. How are you doing in these other areas besides the credit score?
Old Dec 27, 2013, 6:17 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
Hard pulls are dropped from credit reports after 1 year
Isn't it two years?

A hard pull from July '12 is still on my Experian report.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 6:22 pm

4 Hard pulls!

That's what she said?
Old Dec 27, 2013, 6:27 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
Hard pulls stay on credit reports for at least 2 years. How each CC lender views them varies.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by gustav316
That's what she said?
^
Old Dec 27, 2013, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by isle-hawg
Hard pulls stay on credit reports for at least 2 years. How each CC lender views them varies.
I believe in general maximum effect is 3 months, and then greater than one year has minimal to no effect depending on the exact scoring model used. That's why people churn every 3 months. The actual pull will be in your report for 2 years.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
My score usually recovers in ~ 2 months. But ~742 is still a good score. You don't need to be over 750 to be approved for a card. However, some banks will reject you if you've had too many hard pulls w/in a certain period of time (they decide that time period).
Old Dec 27, 2013, 7:01 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by isle-hawg
And FICO itself stops counting them after 1 year.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 7:03 pm

Chase Hyatt - 2 free nights per card

Chase Fairmont - 2 Free nights per card

wife and I => 8 free nights on Maui
Old Dec 27, 2013, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by g8trgr8t
Chase Hyatt - 2 free nights per card

Chase Fairmont - 2 Free nights per card

wife and I => 8 free nights on Maui
I think that's a good way to do it. Cards with free night bonuses rather than points with the devaluations.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 10:37 pm
Original Poster

Thank you everyone! My credit history is pretty long. Been a pharmacist for nearly 30 years. I just started this game in June this year. I have been following all of your suggestions to churn every 3 months and have completed 3 churns. Glad to hear my credit doesn't have to be in the "excellent range" to be approved! My husband and I have the 2 free nights with Hyatt so the suggestion of the fairmont cards is GREAT! The Hilton points required for Maui is nearly 100,000 a night!! My husband and I have the hilton reserve cards with 2 free weekend nights. I had a suggestion from a travel blogger to build hilton points with citi cards but that might not be the best suggestion!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.