Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Definition of First 3 Months for Minimum Spend?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2013, 5:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K

Does anyone know the exact definition of first 3 months for minimum spend? This is for example in regards to a CitiBusiness Mastercard. I opened my card in mid October and thought that would mean I need to spend the $3K by mid January. However, just had a conversation with a Citibank phone rep who said the 3 months actually starts counting from the the start of the first full billing cycle, which would be the start of November (and thus give me till end of January). Thanks for any insights - its going to be a close call on hitting the spend, so I want to make sure the timing is correct.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 6:00 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

It usually begins the date that you applied, granted that you are approved.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 7:53 am

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold

IME it depends on the bank. Some it is 90 days from application date, others its 90 days from approval, and some its 90 days from when they expect you to receive the card in the mail. You will just have to trust what they told you your end date is.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 1:02 pm

Programs: Delta SM, ICH PLAT
At least for many of the non-business Citi and Chase cards, its suppose to be the date you were approved. I would not trust what the OP's phone agent say. I've had some bad experience with multiple agents (phone and secure message) giving me very different interpretation of a promotion term. It was very frustrating...eventually, they gave me a "customer satisfaction" credit in place, but it took months of back and forth and waiting...

I suggest the OP take the shortest/soonest date (date of approval of the card, or if you don't know it, the date of application) just to be safe.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by skitch23
IME it depends on the bank. Some it is 90 days from application date, others its 90 days from approval, and some its 90 days from when they expect you to receive the card in the mail. You will just have to trust what they told you your end date is.
I've also been told I had 103 days. That was with Chase and the UA card.

OP needs to play it safe and finish spend 90 days from approval. Why cut it close? Buy a GC if you need to finish your spend.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 4:30 pm
Suspended

103 days for Chase from day of approval.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 1:31 am

Originally Posted by pricesquire
103 days for Chase from day of approval.

My United Business card is ~ 90 days from date of approval which was instant so it could also be date of application.

Applied 9/18 around 10pm ET spend must be complete by 12/19

I never let it run close, as was stated before just buy a GC.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 6:32 am
Suspended

I don't let it run close either. The only time I've ever had an issue with needing the full 103 days was when I made a mistake on the Chase SW Visas and applied so that I only had three days in January to hit the CP spend..... I got nervous, called Chase, and they told me I actually had another 13 days! So, sometimes it helps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.