Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Rookie question. What do I sign up for next?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2014, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

I am currently able to pay my mortgage via credit card now, so my monthly credit spending is about 2.5k total.

Here is what I have churned this year so far via the wifes cards and myself. (Via house down payment.)

Sapphire Prefered
Sapphire Prefered
Southwest Business+
Chase Ink
Discover IT
Amex BlueSky
Chase Freedom
Chase IHG
United MileagePlus Explorer Business
SonyCard
HHonors Visa
Citi Platinum.Select /.AAdvantage World.MasterCard

Credit rating between 725 and 775. 725 Being Credit Karma and 775 being my FICO on my Discover statements.

All of these offers have been completed. What do you guys suggest next?
Old Jan 21, 2014, 6:07 pm

Where you going?

You don't have much in the way of hotels. Club Carlson might work, Hyatt, and more Hilton. Also you can do business cards for AA and Club Carlson. AMEX PRG is not bad either.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 8:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bobloadmire
I am currently able to pay my mortgage via credit card now, so my monthly credit spending is about 2.5k total.

Here is what I have churned this year so far via the wifes cards and myself. (Via house down payment.)

Sapphire Prefered
Sapphire Prefered
Southwest Business+
Chase Ink
Discover IT
Amex BlueSky
Chase Freedom
Chase IHG
SonyCard
HHonors Visa

Credit rating between 725 and 775. 725 Being Credit Karma and 775 being my FICO on my Discover statements.

Travel patterns? Goals? International vs domestic? Biz vs economy? Family? Single travel? yadayadayada
Old Jan 21, 2014, 8:16 pm

Sapphire Prefered
Sapphire Prefered
Southwest Business+
Chase Ink
Discover IT
Amex BlueSky
Chase Freedom
Chase IHG
SonyCard
HHonors Visa

Grab those Hiltons at 50k a pop while they last. Get the HH Amex also as it allows you to book AXON awards

Last edited by flyer4512; Jan 21, 2014 at 8:21 pm
Old Jan 21, 2014, 8:48 pm

Really it's a question of what your goals are.

I personally like to use TYPs and the Barclay Arrival card points for travel that counts toward status and earning even more points. The Arrival is a must IMO. The Citi Premier is not as good as it used to be, the companion pass being removed as well as the flight points really hurt. You haven't done the cards from US Bank either.

You have a ton of options. See my quick list below.

Barclay Arrival
Citi Premier
Barclay US Airways
Bank of America Alaska Airlines
US Bank Club Carlson
US Bank Flexperks
AMEX Starwood
Amex PRG
Amex Plat
Citi Preferred
Old Jan 22, 2014, 11:38 am
Original Poster

I got denied by Barclays because I haven't lived at my new place long enough lol.

I'm probably now looking more for points I can turn back into cash. I have companion pass for SW and 110k miles, so I'm kind of set for flights. I could use some more hotels, but I am set for now as well.

Of all of those cards you listed, which ones have temporary offers that I should take advantage of now? I'm looking to get 2 more cards this month.

Also, why does CK show 725 and Fico show 775? THat seems like a large discrepancy.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 12:00 pm

The credit scores are different because they are calculated using different formulas. And neither may be the score that new credit card apps see. Don't get too hung up on actual numbers of one source or another.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

I just called Barclays. They want me to mail a copy of my Social Security card. That seems really unsafe. Has anyone had experience with this?
Old Jan 22, 2014, 4:35 pm

I just called Barclays. They want me to mail a copy of my Social Security card. That seems really unsafe. Has anyone had experience with this?
for my wife, Chase asked all sort of documents: SSN, DL. In the end they approved.I wont mind sending again for a good offer on CC.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 4:51 pm

Of all of those cards you listed, which ones have temporary offers that I should take advantage of now? I'm looking to get 2 more cards this month.

Also, why does CK show 725 and Fico show 775? THat seems like a large discrepancy.
The AMEX PRG is supposedly turning up 50k point offers via the credit match tool. Google it, they will ask for some info, and spit out the offers that match someone in your credit bracket.

Regarding CK, they use what is called a FAKO score. Google the differences between a FAKO and a FICO score.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Wellington
The AMEX PRG is supposedly turning up 50k point offers via the credit match tool. Google it, they will ask for some info, and spit out the offers that match someone in your credit bracket.

Regarding CK, they use what is called a FAKO score. Google the differences between a FAKO and a FICO score.
I did the credit match tool, not even a single Amex card showed up. Same on the wifes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.