Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What next?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2013, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Actually, a slight correction. The Visa, MC, and Amex were never considered separate products. Various other things have changed which have affected Citi AA churnability, but I've been churning AA cards for close to 10 years now, and never did it matter to any of the rules (that have changed multiple times over time) whether I was getting 2 Visas or 2 MCs or 1 Visa and 1 MC or whatever. Even the Amex was not considered a separate product.

It never mattered what the product was; what mattered is what the terms of the offer were. If it was an offer that allowed "fast" churning, then "fast" churning worked. if it was an offer that was officially restricted to "first time" cardholders, then "fast" churning didn't work. (Please note: Sometimes, for certain offers, the published T&Cs were incorrect, or at least contradictory between landing pages and application pages.) The difference between "fast" churning and "slow" (12 to 18 to 26 months) churning was time, not product. After the required time (which as I said changed from offer to offer), it never mattered whether your previous card was the same (Visa vs MC vs Amex) or not. (And, also, Citi never cared whether you had cancelled the previous card or not, just how long ago you'd last applied for it.)

The only suspicion (not necessarily ever corroborated, because it didn't last for more than one or two specific offers) was that a Gold card (lower tier) may have been considered separate for a brief moment in time than a Platinum or Signature (higher tier) card. But that still may have simply been the individual offers...

The only real distinction Citi makes is between personal AA cards and business AA cards. Those always were and still are totally separate.
So what cards currently can be "fast" churned? I'm planning to "slow" churn the citi aadvantage personal and business cards but I plan to wait at least a year. I think the amex gold and platinum I have to "slow" churn as well. I know that the citi aadvantage business card was a card people were able to "fast" churn , but the latest reports in the citi thread are indicating that people are getting rejected with accounts in the past year.

Any other ideas?
Old Oct 24, 2013, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by glassgow22
So what cards currently can be "fast" churned? I'm planning to "slow" churn the citi aadvantage personal and business cards but I plan to wait at least a year. I think the amex gold and platinum I have to "slow" churn as well. I know that the citi aadvantage business card was a card people were able to "fast" churn , but the latest reports in the citi thread are indicating that people are getting rejected with accounts in the past year.

Any other ideas?
This is the one Citi card that earns "real" miles/points (ie, ones in an airline or hotel program) that I know can still be "fast' churned:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...nors-visa.html

There may well be other Citi cards that can be "fast" churned that earn Citi's own points, but I don't care about Citi's own points (since they can't be transferred to real airline or hotel programs, despite rumors about a year ago that that was coming), so I haven't paid attention to what can done with those cards. (At Citi, I only pay attention to their AA cards and their Hilton HHonors cards, since those are their only two partners that are an airline or a hotel program.)

(And I don't offhand know of any non-Citi cards that can be "fast" churned. It doesn't mean there aren't any, just none that I've been paying attention to.)

Last edited by sdsearch; Oct 24, 2013 at 7:15 pm
Old Oct 24, 2013, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

This is the one Citi card that earns "real" miles/points (ie, ones in an airline or hotel program) that I know can still be "fast' churned:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...nors-visa.html

There may well be other Citi cards that can be "fast" churned that earn Citi's own points, but I don't care about Citi's own points (since they can't be transferred to real airline or hotel programs, despite rumors about a year ago that that was coming), so I haven't paid attention to what can done with those cards. (At Citi, I only pay attention to their AA cards and their Hilton HHonors cards, since those are their only two partners that are an airline or a hotel program.)

(And I don't offhand know of any non-Citi cards that can be "fast" churned. It doesn't mean there aren't any, just none that I've been paying attention to.)
By fast churning, do you mean you are applying for a new one every 3 months? Are you closing accounts, or just opening new credit cards without closing? How many of these citi hilton cards can you have at once?
Old Oct 24, 2013, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skibum7732
I completely disgaree, my wife and i have gotten more than that and still have excellent credit scores. I would agree with diversifying into hotel programs...you have to stay somewhere in Asia and SPG has some great properties in Asia for low # of points. You can do SPG, Marriott, IHG, Hyatt, and even some Hilton properties with good value depending where in Asia. Barclay Arrivals and Citi TY are other good options for buying cash tickets with and earning miles on the ticket. You also have DL and if you know the tricks you can get low level award space and their miles(pesos) can be minted quite easily

I have been to SE Asia 3x this year and heading back for another month soon. You are far from done, but you will need to get creative to earn UA and AA, but there are ways to ramp them up as well.
What are more creative ways to ramp up earning UA and AA points (most valuable to me)? Any good examples? I"m all ears! I've been buying bluebirds to meet minimum spending requirements, I'm considering getting bluebirds just to get more miles, but haven't gotten to that point yet.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 11:08 pm

What about getting the united explorer business card? I think you can also get the 50k on that.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 11:37 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Bank of America Alaska Airlines comes to mind. I know, a niche product, but useful because there is no spend requirement to obtain 25k miles.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

By fast churning, do you mean you are applying for a new one every 3 months? Are you closing accounts, or just opening new credit cards without closing? How many of these citi hilton cards can you have at once?
You can theoretically apply for 2 every 65 days, if you can keep up that fast with the $1500 spend required on each card for the 50k. Few people do it that fast, that's just the theoretical limit. (One person in one of the most recent posts in that thread mentions getting this card 10 times over the past 2 years.)

In my case, I tend to overlap, something like get HH card 1, get HH card 2, get HH card 3, cancel card 1, cancel card 2 maybe, get HH card 4, cancel card 3 maybe, etc. In other words, I don't cancel before applying for the next one, but I cancel eventually, so I don't have too big a "useless" stack. (How quickly I cancel may depend on whether there's credit limit on the card I no longer use that could be moved to a new card if that's needed to get a new card approved. Once you cancel, though, any credit limit from the cancelled card doesn't return to your "pool" until 3 to 6 months later, which is why it's better to cancel after you apply for the next one rather than before.

But perhaps not everyone does that.

Again, please go and read at least the wiki in that thread and the last few pages. All of your questions have already been answered there many times over!
Old Oct 25, 2013, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What are more creative ways to ramp up earning UA and AA points (most valuable to me)? Any good examples? I"m all ears! I've been buying bluebirds to meet minimum spending requirements, I'm considering getting bluebirds just to get more miles, but haven't gotten to that point yet.
AA just got much harder a few months ago. Please read the very comprehensive wiki in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...ost-first.html

and then the last few pages and then start asking questions there about Citi AA cards.

There's unfortunately very few other lucrative ways to earn AA miles from credit card signups besides Citi AA. There's SPG which only gets you about 30k or so (after the 20% bonus on 25K which otherwise transfers 1:1) with $5000 spend, and you can't repeat that very often. You can theoretically transfer a bunch of other hotel program points to AA miles, but the transfer ratios mean you get very poor return on those.

UA works a little better cause of Chase Ultimate Rewards (often abbreviated to UR). Although you can only generally apply for each Chase card once, there's about half a dozen different ones you can get (a UA card or two and then several UR cards). There's a whole forum dedicated to Chase UR:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...e-rewards-722/

Again, please ask, there, not here, if you want to learn more about applying for multiple UR cards and transferring to UA.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 11:37 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
I don't mind having miles in lots of different programs, although I'm planning to primarily travel to Asia. Miles in programs like southwest and jetblue are not really going to help me so much. I'm focusing primarily on ultimate rewards, united, usairway, american airlines, SPG points, and to a certain extent membership reward points.

I'm trying to map out a plan for churning, but that means I have to cancel my amex business gold soon so I can get an amex business platinum (with hopefully 100,000 points) in a year. In another year, I can try again for another Citi personal and/or business.

I agree with pricesquire, finding a balance between maintaining a healthy balance and frequent business class trips to Asia is starting to get to be an issue. Maybe I should suck it up and fly economy, and stretch out the miles I do have...which is a little depressing after knowing what business class is like.
Well, if you like Caribbean, JetBlue is pretty good.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 11:39 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SFOPhD
Chase in general can't be churned. Once you get the bonus for that cards, that's it. The exception is when the card is replaced with a similar but new card. i.e. the Chase United cards after the merger.
Chase can and is being churned all the time, but they are not consistent. Some can churn after a 2-yr Sabbatical, others do it faster. Read Dan's Deal and you'll see.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.