Wiki Posts
Search

Best Cards for a first time churner?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2013, 2:02 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by wholeinone04
...I think I'm going to do a card like citi preferred to solidify credit for the future(since it's no fee)...
If you're going to take a card primarily to build credit history, a genuine Amex (actually issued by Amex) would be a good choice. Future Amex cards would inherit the open date of this first Amex - research "Amex backdating". (Just like dcpilgrim already recommended, apparently.)

One question though, since I'll probably just apply for her do you think it's ok for me to call the recon line or speak with them about anything?
I do this routinely for my wife. Obviously, I cleared it with her first. Some FTers have the SO call, answer the security questions, then tell the rep they are authorizing someone else to continue the conversation and hand the phone over.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 3:27 pm

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
If you're going to take a card primarily to build credit history, a genuine Amex (actually issued by Amex) would be a good choice.
Is there an Amex card not issued by Amex? They co-brand but my Delta Amex is "issued and serviced by American Express". I know they issue charge cards vs credit cards, but credit would be better for FICO right?
Old Sep 27, 2013, 4:00 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by paul21
Is there an Amex card not issued by Amex?
Yes, several other banks issue Amex-network cards. For example, the Citi AA Amex works on the Amex network but is not issued by Amex. (Delta, on the other hand, is genuine.)

I know they issue charge cards vs credit cards, but credit would be better for FICO right?
If you plan to make sure the card shows a $0 balance, then it would help your utilization to be a credit card. The most current versions of FICO don't factor charge cards into utilization at all. However, the version on myfico DOES and it uses the highest balance ever reported as a proxy for credit limit.

(See: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Cred...E/td-p/1609058 )
Old Sep 27, 2013, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by wholeinone04
Cool thanks for the replies, I think I'm going to do a card like citi preferred to solidify credit for the future(since it's no fee)
If you just want a card to keep with no AF something like Cap One Quicksilver is generally more useful that the TYP, as its cash redemption is much more flexible, offers 1.5% everywhere and no FTF.

Unless you have a 5x TYP or a multiplier card like Premier/Prestige, the TYP really isn't a good card, even with the new x2 categories.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.