Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

FICO 697-713, are there any reward cards I can apply for?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2013, 2:40 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'
Original Poster

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum

Aside from the delta cards( i got 2 delta plats) . I also got clean history and no baddies( 3 months credit card history and like 1.5 year student loan history avg 1.2 years or so).
Old Aug 1, 2013, 2:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
Fico of 690 are there any mile cards i can apply to?

Don't expect anything stellar. Focus on gardening those AmEx cards for now.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 3:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by suvayanr
^
Old Aug 1, 2013, 7:05 pm

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by suvayanr
I would agree. You can apply but probably won't get approved until you get a longer credit history. Maybe something like Chase Freedom for students?
Old Aug 1, 2013, 8:15 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'
Original Poster

I am interested in something giving a bonus(Of miles or loads of cash) ... I really need a visa or master card so i can pay my fraternity dues with it. Also i really only have 1 card as the other one is a business card and so it does not show in my credit rating.

Last edited by howtofreetravel; Aug 1, 2013 at 8:24 pm
Old Aug 1, 2013, 8:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by flymanbeast
I am interested in something giving a bonus(Of miles or loads of cash) ... I really need a visa or master card so i can pay my fraternity dues with it. Also i really only have 1 card as the other one is a business card and so it does not show in my credit rating.
Again, worry about building your credit history. A ruined credit history early on will haunt you for years. Look at the cards that are for building credit or marketed specifically at students.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 8:38 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PainCorp
Again, worry about building your credit history. A ruined credit history early on will haunt you for years. Look at the cards that are for building credit or marketed specifically at students.
But would applying for one card and getting denied ruin my credit? I also would never dare to keep a balance of more then 5% and will never pay interest. p.s my credit limit on the delta platinum personal is 1.1k and on the business 3.2k.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 8:42 pm
Suspended

But would applying for one card and getting denied ruin my credit? I also would never dare to keep a balance of more then 5% and will never pay interest. p.s my credit limit on the delta platinum personal is 1.1k and on the business 3.2k.
You've been given ideas already in this thread. Do some research and I'm sure you'll find some cards you can apply for.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 8:44 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'
Original Poster

I am just waiting for some students to chime in with stories of similar history
Old Aug 1, 2013, 8:45 pm
Suspended

I believe the phrase we use around here is you're waiting to be spoon fed what cards to apply for, and have your hand held the whole way.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 9:00 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PainCorp
I believe the phrase we use around here is you're waiting to be spoon fed what cards to apply for, and have your hand held the whole way.
No i believe i am waiting to hear from someone who was in the same situation so never assume PainCorp and no i am attacking you or anything ^
Old Aug 1, 2013, 10:11 pm

There is no other option so stop hoping (in the short term). You have to get your score higher and lot of that will come from the age of your accounts. Keep doing what you're doing for another 2 years and then start slowly.

I just graduated with my 4 year but have had a credit history since my 18th birthday when i applied for a secure credit card. I went into college with an avg score of around 680. When I hit 720 2 years after, I applied for a couple here and there but I never did an AoR until a year ago. Since then, I've done 3 but even then, my history is too short to take all those hits on a regular basis and each AoR will affect your score quite a bit. At my peak, my scores were around 760 and right now theyre sitting at around 730 and I'm taking a break for about 5 months.

Ok during school, I had good income for my age and I took out loans because my school required full payment before the start of the term. Eventually I ended up paying them off throughout the year (easily over 40k a year, the rest went on my cards) so I have a very good payment history too. So that helped a lot whenever I called recon because the issue regarding my age almost always came up.

But assuming you, like most other students, will not pay a penny of your loans back until after you leave college and the fact that you have a history of 3 months, don't even think about it. I doubt you can get your hands on a card. Sorry but that's reality. I tried moving to an unsecured card about 6 months after my 18th birthday and it didn't happen....
Old Aug 2, 2013, 1:23 pm

I'm willing to help. As a general note, some people will attack you if you don't scour thousands of posts to find your answers.

I'm in the same boat man. I'll be a junior at U of A in the fall. What financial service does your frat use? I'm in SigEp and we use LegFi. Gonna put my dues on my new MB Plat Amex to meet the spending requirement for 50k MR points

I just got cards 12, 13, 14, waiting to hear back on 15 & 16. My Avg age of accounts is 1 year, with 25 months as my oldest account. No student loans. 730EX, 738 EQ, 710 TU with 1% utilization on 1 card, perfect payments.

Do you carry a balance on more than 1 card? That will keep your score down.

You're doing a lot of stuff right with the 2 AMEX. Keep in mind that any AMEX cards you open will backdate to the first date you opened one. I was made an AU on my dad's account in 2011, and when I opened my first 2 amex cards in 2012, bam! backdated to 2011 and boosted my scores by about 30 points.

Sometimes all you can do is let them age. But check your utilization and how many you let report with a balance. PM me if you wanna talk cause I just got approved for the Biz Gold Rewards, MB Platinum, and Chase Sapphire Preferred all today.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 4:33 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'
Original Poster

I only got one personal card so my credit report will only show one as business cards don't count. I also going to ask for a 3x CLI from amex soon so hopefully that will help me out. We use Greek capital management and it only takes visa or master card... I get charged 3% for using it so would only do so for a very large bonus. Yes i am aware amex cards backdate but with 4 months history it won't make much difference... I only allow my card to report with 1 to 4% maximum balance for maximum score... ^

Last edited by howtofreetravel; Aug 2, 2013 at 4:46 pm Reason: CLi is what i would ask for
Old Aug 2, 2013, 4:41 pm
Suspended

I also going to ask for a 3x from amex soon so hopefully that will help me out.
You're going to ask for a what?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.