Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

UK cards with no foreign transaction fees?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2013, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver. Back of the plane on everyone else.

Hi all,

I'm an American living in the UK who travels overseas for work frequently. I currently have a US credit card with no foreign transaction fees which I use during when abroad. However, my employer (UK office of a large US company) refuses to reimburse expenses into a US bank account, only into my UK bank account. As such, I'm slowly but surely drawing down my US bank account, which I'd like to avoid doing.

I'm searching for a credit card with no foreign transaction fees that ideally generates some benefits (miles/points/whatever) and can be easily paid from a UK bank account. Could be UK based, or could be something oversees that simply can be easily paid from the UK.

Anyone have suggestions? Looking at the big airline cards (BA, United, etc.), they all seem to charge foreign transaction fees. And, of coure, the benefits are really poor compared to US cards (BA UK - 9000 avios to start, BA US - 50,000 to start).
Old Jul 6, 2013, 8:19 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold

When I was living in the UK I had a US and UK Citibank accounts. Transfers from UK->US Citi accounts are free, get a good exchange rate and are instantaneous. So you could have your reimbursements sent to your UK Citi account and then move them to your US account to pay your bills. The UK Citi accounts aren't bad really - no fees; the lack of branches is made up by the fact that you can do any simple banking at any Lloyd's.

I agree about the poor state of UK credit cards
Old Jul 6, 2013, 10:04 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Go to capitalone.co.uk and look at the Aspire World card. You get up to 1.25% cashback on UK purchases and free purchases abroad. There are currently no cards in the UK that give rewards and free purchases abroad other than Amex when they do the fee free promotion in the summer months. There used to be an Aqua card that gave 3% cashback on uk and foreign purchases and was free to use abroad, but that was discontinued.

The only issue I can see is that your UK credit history will probably be on-existent. The Aqua advance card is fee free as well and is designed for those with poor credit.

Sorry I can't link. On iPhone.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 10:58 am

HALIFAX Clarity Credit Card one to look at as is POST OFFICE mastercard (Bank of Ireland)
Old Jul 6, 2013, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver. Back of the plane on everyone else.
Thanks for the advice, both.

"Poor credit history"... ugh, it kills me to hear that. I had near perfect credit in the States, make a good salary in the UK, have a good amount in savings after living here for 14 months, and still am seen as risky.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by DC Mike
Thanks for the advice, both.

"Poor credit history"... ugh, it kills me to hear that. I had near perfect credit in the States, make a good salary in the UK, have a good amount in savings after living here for 14 months, and still am seen as risky.
If you go to http://www.moneysupermarket.com/credit-cards/ and start the search it will allow you to enter your personal information and will do a soft search, allowing to see how likely you are to approved for each card.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 5:09 pm

Barclaycard (maybe not best overseas rates) but know to be "more happy to approve"
Old Aug 15, 2013, 5:14 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
UK cards, no FX fees?

Hi,

I am wondering what are the most popular UK cards for traveling? I am browsing various options, but they all seem to carry 3% foreign transaction fee.

Thanks
Old Aug 15, 2013, 5:43 am

Capital One Aspire World and Classic extra cards, Halifax Clarity, Post Office credit card, Nationwide Select and FlexPlus, Norwich and Peterborough debit card and The Metro Bank debit and credit card. They are all free to use abroad.

The Debit cards and Halifax clarity are also free to use for cash withdrawals (Although the Clarity does still charge interest but that works at about £1 for every hundred pounds withdrawn over a whole month).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.