Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Which cards give the most points for spending?

Old Mar 15, 13, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Hi everyone,

My wife's business spends a good amount of money on medical supplies each month, so we are trying to maximize what we earn. I have the Chase British Airways card which earns 1.25 points per dollar spent. I am planning on getting the United Club card that gives 1.5 points per dollar spent. What are the other credit cards out there that give more than 1 point per dollar spent on non-category items? I don't mean the Hilton Hhonors with its 3/1 as their categories are already inflated by 3 times.

Anything else??
Old Mar 15, 13, 3:59 pm
wcj

Amex SPG when transferred in 20k increments gives 25k miles, so 1.25 per $. Have you considered spreading it out for benefits other than straight miles and points and would you use? For example, Hilton diamond status for $40k spend on its card, 10k extra miles on Chase Explorer after $25k annual spend. If that would interest you, then run a search in the CC forum as I know there is a list of those types of cards in response to someone.
Old Mar 15, 13, 4:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Pres. Circle, HHonors Diamond
Are you looking forward to earn a specific miles/points in particular? If you are looking to just earn miles (which seems to e the case here), you might want to look into getting the Capital One Venture Card. It will earn 2 points per dollar spent. Annual fee is $59 with the first year waived.
Old Mar 15, 13, 4:22 pm

Programs: all
get a chase united club card. 1.5 united miles per dollar

Originally Posted by waylook View Post
Hi everyone,

My wife's business spends a good amount of money on medical supplies each month, so we are trying to maximize what we earn. I have the Chase British Airways card which earns 1.25 points per dollar spent. I am planning on getting the United Club card that gives 1.5 points per dollar spent. What are the other credit cards out there that give more than 1 point per dollar spent on non-category items? I don't mean the Hilton Hhonors with its 3/1 as their categories are already inflated by 3 times.

Anything else??
Old Mar 15, 13, 5:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Honestly, spend some time reading about the different cards, their sign on bonuses, annual fees, spending category bonuses, and the associated programs.
Old Mar 15, 13, 5:14 pm

Get the fidelity amex...2% cash back across the board on all purchases.

(I'm going to bet there is no "freedom category" of "medical supplies")

The 2% cash back would allow you to buy more tickets than the 1.25% points.

Plus, you earn AA miles when you pay cash for the tickets...
Old Mar 15, 13, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
I don't think it's simply a question of which cards earn the most points per dollar spent. Rather, I'd look at what points/miles would be the most valuable to you given your goals or needs. Think about what you'd like to do with the points. Is cash king for you? If so, look at cashback cards. Is travel your goal? If it's travel, where do you want to go and what airlines/hotels will get you the vacation you want. Once you know your goals, it will become clearer which card(s) you'll want to put spend on.
Old Mar 15, 13, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by ChurnBabyChurn View Post
Get the fidelity amex...2% cash back across the board on all purchases.

(I'm going to bet there is no "freedom category" of "medical supplies")

The 2% cash back would allow you to buy more tickets than the 1.25% points.

Plus, you earn AA miles when you pay cash for the tickets...

Its not that simple at all. If you are redeeming business and first class tickets you get a much better value getting miles.

Take this example (this works for me because I have a high business spend and I redeem a lot of international first and business class tickets):

I spend $67,000 on my chase United Club card and I get 100k Miles (1.5 united miles per dollar)

You put the same spend on your Amex Fidelity card and get $1340

I want a business class ticket SFO-LHR RT on united or AA. Face value is about $6K but lets say you can buy a discounted ticket for $3000.

So for my spend I get a 3k value but you only get a 1300 value

I can tell you scenarios where its even more valuable especially for first class tickets and last minute tickets

Bottom line is (in most cases)...if you mostly buy inexpensive domestic tickets you probably get equal or better value with a 2% rebate card. However, if you buy expensive premium class tickets, there is no comparison.
Old Mar 15, 13, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by pantanal View Post
Its not that simple at all. If you are redeeming business and first class tickets you get a much better value getting miles.

Take this example (this works for me because I have a high business spend and I redeem a lot of international first and business class tickets):

I spend $67,000 on my chase United Club card and I get 100k Miles (1.5 united miles per dollar)

You put the same spend on your Amex Fidelity card and get $1340

I want a business class ticket SFO-LHR RT on united or AA. Face value is about $6K but lets say you can buy a discounted ticket for $3000.

So for my spend I get a 3k value but you only get a 1300 value

I can tell you scenarios where its even more valuable especially for first class tickets and last minute tickets

Bottom line is (in most cases)...if you mostly buy inexpensive domestic tickets you probably get equal or better value with a 2% rebate card. However, if you buy expensive premium class tickets, there is no comparison.
Nice!

That's the kind of insight I'm talkin about...
Old Mar 15, 13, 10:45 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, AAdvantage
Yeah, but at the same time you can get cash back and wait for there to be a sale on miles with whatever carrier's miles you want, then buy them with the cash back.

You have to be more patient with that method obviously, but at the same time if something comes up that you really want to buy but otherwise wouldn't have cash for, hey, you've got $1340 on hand.

A very good middle ground between pure cash and lots of miles is Ultimate Rewards or Membership Rewards points that can transfer to airline/hotel partners OR come out as cashback if you want them to. So I'd go with Chase Sapphire Preferred + Chase Freedom's 5% categories (that card's free so why not have both) if you are looking for one points structure and a maximum amount of bonuses. You'll run into stuff that's not currently a bonus category, but 2x on travel and 2x on dining on one card + 5% rotating categories on the other will cover an awful lot.
Old Mar 16, 13, 12:19 am
Original Poster

These are all great answers. To clarify, I am not looking for cash back. Mostly, I value airline miles. I am aware of the sign up bonuses and will do that when appropriate. Not doing it too often right now because we are trying to refinance away from a high interest mortgage. Once that is done, we can get more aggressive.

Currently, the suppliers don't take AmEx although that may change in the future. I would love to get membership rewards, or max out with some SPG otherwise. With all of the devaluations, I think that we may focus on Hyatt through their card and the Ink products.

Mainly, I saw that the UA Club card is a great opportunity with the 1.5 miles/dollar and am hoping that there are other similar cards out there.
Old Mar 16, 13, 12:26 am

The cheapest you could buy united miles on a sale would be 2.2 cents a mile so the 1340 dollars would get you 60k (40k short of what spending on the club card) miles plus there is no guarantee there will be a sale when you need it. for high spenders the mantra is earn and burn.

Trust me I have gone through this scenario in detail..

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...purchases.html

I have a 100 to 150k/month business spend that does not have any category bonuses (5x etc ) and the best value I can get is with the United Club card. It gives me an additional 50% bonus. Only card that gives 1.5 miles per $ spent and I would argue than united miles are more valuable than any mile currency other than starwood points.

The OP is going to be buying medical supplies so very unlikely there is any kind of 2x or 5x bonus since it is neither related to travel expenses(saphire card) or any kind of office expenses(chase ink bold 5x)

The highest value they will get is by using the chase united club card followed by the starwood amex card

Originally Posted by BrianFellows View Post
Yeah, but at the same time you can get cash back and wait for there to be a sale on miles with whatever carrier's miles you want, then buy them with the cash back.

You have to be more patient with that method obviously, but at the same time if something comes up that you really want to buy but otherwise wouldn't have cash for, hey, you've got $1340 on hand.

A very good middle ground between pure cash and lots of miles is Ultimate Rewards or Membership Rewards points that can transfer to airline/hotel partners OR come out as cashback if you want them to. So I'd go with Chase Sapphire Preferred + Chase Freedom's 5% categories (that card's free so why not have both) if you are looking for one points structure and a maximum amount of bonuses. You'll run into stuff that's not currently a bonus category, but 2x on travel and 2x on dining on one card + 5% rotating categories on the other will cover an awful lot.

Last edited by pantanal; Mar 16, 13 at 12:36 am
Old Mar 16, 13, 7:16 am

Programs: DL, AA, UA, Hilton, IHG, Radisson
When Fidelity's Amex had the Worldpoints to Aeroplan conversion, I felt that card was the best card for uncategorized spend. 2 Aeroplan miles/$. Now, that conversion is gone, so the redemption only earns you a straight 2 cents/$. That card is trumped by Barclaycard Arrival, which equates to earning 2.22 cents/$.

I personally happen to think that the best card for uncategorized spend now is the Club Carlson Premier or Rewards visa. I feel that for me, 5 Carlson points is worth more than 1.5 United miles, 2.22 cents, 1 starpoint, etc.
Old Mar 16, 13, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by centrifuge41 View Post
When Fidelity's Amex had the Worldpoints to Aeroplan conversion, I felt that card was the best card for uncategorized spend. 2 Aeroplan miles/$. Now, that conversion is gone, so the redemption only earns you a straight 2 cents/$. That card is trumped by Barclaycard Arrival, which equates to earning 2.22 cents/$.

I personally happen to think that the best card for uncategorized spend now is the Club Carlson Premier or Rewards visa. I feel that for me, 5 Carlson points is worth more than 1.5 United miles, 2.22 cents, 1 starpoint, etc.
Its all in the eye of the beholder. If you do a transfer from club carlson points to airline points (this is the ratio club carlson allows you) , 5 club carlson points transfer to .9 airline miles so 5 club carlson points are definitely less valuable than 1.5 united miles from an absolute basis.

Again in depends on what you value. If you redeem inexpensive airline flights club carlson points may be more valuable but if your redemption is premium and first class international tickets it will not compare

lets take a $90k spend that gets me

135K miles on united that lets me redeem a $14500 united ticket in first class from sfo to lhr in march on a business trip. Leaving march 26 coming back march 29.

The same gets you a 450k CC points. you can convert that 450000 to 86000 airline miles or use it at cc hotels so you are getting a lesser value if you convert to miles.

Lets take the most expensive CC hotel in London that runs $400 a night (Mayfair Hotel in London which runs about 200 to 260 pounds a night). You get 9 nights so a $3600 value. Ok, lets say you have a CC card and can leverage this into 18 nights. Now you get $7200 value.

I'm not trying to say that this is always the scenario..I'm just trying to illustrate that if your are redeeming premium class expensive tickets, then airline points can give you a high value.

I'm sure there are scenarios where the cc points are more valuable. The issue is that airline flight prices have much more variability than hotel rates so if you are redeeming at the top of the variability chart the airline points win.

One could argue that you could get a discounted first class ticket for half the value I gave. I could argue that I can get the mayfair hotel in london for $100 a night using the carlson friends and family rate (which I have many times..gets you a rate of exactly 68 pounds including taxes).

I took my example using actual rates from the hotel and the airline to demonstrate what can be gotten at the top end of the charts.

Last edited by pantanal; Mar 16, 13 at 8:17 am
Old Mar 16, 13, 8:36 am

Another option would be, instead of putting spend on just one card for the miles, start applying for more cards and put the spend towards the minimum spend requirements for sign-up bonuses.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: