Wiki Posts
Search

Fraudulent fraud alert

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2012, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Fraudulent fraud alert

I'm posting this just as a heads up. The scammers are getting more sophisticated all the time....

I had a series of phone calls recently. These were robo calls, and the caller claimed to be the Chase Fraud Dept. The message identified me by name, said that there was a problem with activity on my Chase credit card account, provided a reference number, and provided an 800 number to call back to try to resolve the issue. The format was just like a robo-call from the Chase or Citi Fraud Dept.

What puzzled me, however, is that the robo-caller did not identify what card it was calling about. I've got 4 Chase personal cards and one Chase business card. And I am an authorized user on one of my wife's Chase accounts.

I called the Chase 800 number on the back of one of my cards and asked to be transferred to the Fraud Dept. The rep was very helpful (she even had to call me back after an exhaustive search of all of my personal and business credit accounts). It turned out that all of my Chase accounts were fine. The robo-call was some sort of scam.

Here is the bottom line message from the Chase CSR: if the Chase Fraud Dept calls you, the robo-caller should say that there is a problem with your credit card account "ending in xxxx." A legit call will identify the account it is calling about. If the robo-caller does not give you a portion of the account number, then you may be dealing with a scammer.

One more thing: after this happened, I checked a reverse 800 directory website using the number provided on the message. The 800 number that the robo-caller had given me did not have any listing that I could find. If in doubt about a call, a reverse 800 number directory can also be helpful to see it the call-back number is legit.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 4:06 pm

Thanks for sharing this with us. I like your idea of calling the regular phone number.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
That's a practice I've always done just for added peace of mind. If I receive a call regarding any of my credit cards, I politely state I will call them back on a number I know. They are always nice about it and understand my position. Good reminder for everyone.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 6:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold
Fraudulent fraud alert

I have text alerts on my chase accounts for activity over x amount as well as fraud. A few weeks ago I got a text asking if I was making a purchase for x amount to text yes or no. I texted no and got a call from fraud dept immediately. I didn't answer it w/unknown number so called customer service from registered home phone and was connected direct w/fraud dept to discuss. I had card in hand but numbers were being used online so we canceled acct. I find value in text option.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 7:11 pm

I got a fraud text alert from Chase. The thing I did not like about it was that is did not identify what card it was about so I called the number on the back of one of my cards. Turned out it was legit and they had to issue me a new card(attmepted cash withdrawal at WU).

Originally Posted by Philatravelgirl
I have text alerts on my chase accounts for activity over x amount as well as fraud. A few weeks ago I got a text asking if I was making a purchase for x amount to text yes or no. I texted no and got a call from fraud dept immediately. I didn't answer it w/unknown number so called customer service from registered home phone and was connected direct w/fraud dept to discuss. I had card in hand but numbers were being used online so we canceled acct. I find value in text option.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 1:25 am

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
I've received fraud calls from Chase (legit), and I don't believe they've always identified the card. But you're right: always call the number at the back of your card. Any Chase card will do and ask to speak with the Fraud Dept.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Received the same call from Capital One. After I buzzed them off, I called the # on the back of my card. They said I was good to go. They thanked me for being savy enough to recognize the scam.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 2:55 pm

i received emails that were exactly like chase emails with colors and patterns indicating there is a fraud or some unauthorized activity. the first one i found in my junk mail automatically, i opened because it had the sender as chase fraud alert. it gave me a link and in order to authenticate started asking me all sorts of questions including my social etc. i was filling it out then it even asked me for my account password. then the bulb went off in my head . i immediately closed it, checked my chase accounts by logging in . everything was fine.
and later i kept getting mails with subject line like this. but all of them went o my junk mail automatically. close shave.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.