Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA Merchants Reach Credit Card Surcharge Rights Agreement [Effective 1.27.2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA Merchants Reach Credit Card Surcharge Rights Agreement [Effective 1.27.2013]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2012, 3:37 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by koolr
Well, this may or may not affect the cc bonus program as big merchants may not impose the cc fees on the customers, and business will be as usual. Many small businesses also may not be able to charge more to their customers, otherwise, they might loose business. The argument about no debit card bonuses may not apply to cc as many many more customers use cc than debit cards, I think.
Since this settlement increases competition for credit cards and enables merchants to nudge customers away from credit cards, credit card companies will lose customers if they don't do something to retain them. One such thing they could do would be to increase bonuses and rewards.

For example, if Kroger has a 2% cash discount and you have a 1% rewards card, you will take the cash discount. But if your card offers 3% on groceries, that is better even if you forego the cash discount. Therefore, credit card companies might target their rewards programs to those categories where merchants are imposing surcharges or providing discounts.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 8:04 am

Kroger is f***ing son of ..... who started off this ..... I am permanently boycotting them. Does anyone have a list of the initial corporations who started this lawsuit against Visa and MC?
Old Jul 22, 2012, 4:15 pm

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by mnscout
I will certainly join you in walking away from any CC surcharge establishment up until the point when every establishment around me is doing the same thing. Then I'm afraid, I'll be forced to capitulate.
Or, if that happens, I'll use cash. I can see myself going to the ATM (it's a pretty quick drive through for me) once a week instead of about three times a year. As has been suggested, maybe credit card companies, seeing that people are abandoning them, will come out with larger enrollment or category bonuses to try to keep market share.

There are many unknown factors. One thing I'll miss is the simple assumption that when I'm using my cc, I'm getting the same price as anyone. Now we'll have to learn merchant by merchant what each one's current policy is. Things just got more complicated all around.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 10:10 pm

What's the scope of the court ruling? Can't we lobby our reps in Congress to create a federal law prohibiting all surcharges? I guess that's a long shot but it is possible right? Since it isn't a Supreme Court ruling declaring surcharges as unconstitional lol I hope no fees.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by Nick92
What's the scope of the court ruling? Can't we lobby our reps in Congress to create a federal law prohibiting all surcharges? I guess that's a long shot but it is possible right? Since it isn't a Supreme Court ruling declaring surcharges as unconstitional lol I hope no fees.
Remember it was Congress that passed that imbecilic law about a year and a half ago that prohibited cc companies (mc and visa) from putting in their merchant agreements rules against cash discounts (which are surcharges of course) and not allowing the companies to prohibit minimum purchase requirements under $10, both anti consumer bits that show where Congress stands.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:15 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by JEFFJAGUAR
Remember it was Congress that passed that imbecilic law about a year and a half ago that prohibited cc companies (mc and visa) from putting in their merchant agreements rules against cash discounts (which are surcharges of course) and not allowing the companies to prohibit minimum purchase requirements under $10, both anti Flyertalker bits that show where Congress stands.
Corrected.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by cbn42
Corrected.

Huh?
Old Jul 23, 2012, 11:02 am

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by srdshelly
Or, if that happens, I'll use cash. I can see myself going to the ATM (it's a pretty quick drive through for me) once a week instead of about three times a year. As has been suggested, maybe credit card companies, seeing that people are abandoning them, will come out with larger enrollment or category bonuses to try to keep market share.

There are many unknown factors. One thing I'll miss is the simple assumption that when I'm using my cc, I'm getting the same price as anyone. Now we'll have to learn merchant by merchant what each one's current policy is. Things just got more complicated all around.
Unfortunately, using cash is not an option unless you expect the US Treasury to subsidize our travel habits. As to CC companies coming with larger bonuses, it's one possible scenario, but I expect they still want to make money. 1-3.5% commissions doesn't leave too much of a wiggle room, and reduced volumes of business may hit them pretty hard.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 4:42 pm

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by mnscout
Unfortunately, using cash is not an option unless you expect the US Treasury to subsidize our travel habits. As to CC companies coming with larger bonuses, it's one possible scenario, but I expect they still want to make money. 1-3.5% commissions doesn't leave too much of a wiggle room, and reduced volumes of business may hit them pretty hard.
Using cash is an option many places where I use credit cards now, though others would be a problem. What's not clear to me (I'm not a lawyer) is the effect in the 10 states which have their own legislation prohibiting credit card surcharges, some of which are major players. It seems to me that the settlement prohibits the credit card companies themselves from forbidding the surcharges, but I don't see anything in it that affects such action by a state government. Any thoughts on that?
Old Jul 23, 2012, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Rommie2k6
Kroger is f***ing son of ..... who started off this ..... I am permanently boycotting them. Does anyone have a list of the initial corporations who started this lawsuit against Visa and MC?
Load up on their GCs while you can!
Old Jul 23, 2012, 5:02 pm

Customers must take cash off the table and tell merchants that they refuse to pay a fee to pay for a product and will go elsewhere. We are the ones with the power to dictate prices and fees, not the businesses that rely on our purchasing to turn a profit.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 8:16 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
In Australia, I used cash to pay for most things (hotels, car rental etc.) It was worth the extra effort to avoid surcharges. Of course, back in those days I was also avoiding the foreign transaction fee the banks charged for their credit cards.

How about this one-two whammy for the FT community:

1) CC surcharges at the Australian level
2) Legacy airlines migrate to the WN/B6/VX model for rewards earn and burn

At that point I lose interest.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 8:53 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Amex MR
So apparently Wal mart and Target have rejected the settlement.

Good news for us?

Like I have said before the banks and retailers need to work something out that does not involve a surcharge. Having a minimum purchase is fine. I have no trouble paying cash for things less than 10 dollars. Anything greater and the swipe fees should already be built in and the profit margin should be able to absorb them. The disgusting thought is paying a surcharge on hotel, car rentals, or airline tickets. Tacking on a percentage to that is not chump change for the leasure traveler.

This lawsuit needs to be worked out without surcharges. Even if swipe fees are lowered (not capped, capping a price on something is stupid. Let the free market work it out. How would the retailers like it if there were price caps on the things they could sell?) I don't mind having less generous sign up bonuses and rewards in exchange for knowing I will not be charged extra for using my credit card.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 12:39 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by Dadaluma83
So apparently Wal mart and Target have rejected the settlement.
Wow. Indeed they have. This is pure greed versus greed.

It's not clear exactly what Wal Mart and Target want out of this except significantly lower swipe fees.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by chelmkamp
Wow. Indeed they have. This is pure greed versus greed.

It's not clear exactly what Wal Mart and Target want out of this except significantly lower swipe fees.
From the article:
Wal-Mart (WMT, Fortune 500) and Target (TGT, Fortune 500) are not among the 19 plaintiffs representing roughly 7 million merchants who initiated the class-action suit, according to lawyers representing the plaintiffs.
Interesting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.