FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   Alaska Airlines card offers, Personal & Business [2012-2016] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1333519-alaska-airlines-card-offers-personal-business-2012-2016-a.html)

Run_Along_Shorty Jan 12, 2016 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by Quarantine (Post 25989831)
I don't have a business card with BoA before, and applied for it online but got the pending application notice. I just got a notice in the mail that they need additional information from me like proof of business ownership, complete business physical address, and verification of legal structure of business.

I applied as a sole proprietor, what kind of documents can I provide them? I've just been reselling on the side.

Do you file a Schedule C on your personal income taxes? You could show them evidence of business revenue via tax returns.

muji Jan 12, 2016 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by coffee18 (Post 26006713)
When was your last time you cancelled via chat? A month ago they told me to call in.

Just 3 days ago. (It might depend on the agent you get on Chat.) I've also closed other cards with them, a month ago, and a few months before that, all via Chat. I'd say give it another try.

Happy Jan 12, 2016 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by muji (Post 26003094)
Card cancelation can be accomplished via Chat.

Yes and No. For whatever reason some accounts cannot be canceled via Chat even in the past the same account holder has successfully canceled cards via chat.

If the account is coded cannot be cancel via chat, no matter how many times you tried with different chat reps it aint going to work.

Suggest to try chat first, if cannot be done just call to do it versus keep trying the chat route.

Originally Posted by hiima (Post 26006684)
Tried via chat, they told me I have to call in for this account for some reason.

Correct. But when calling to cancel the phone rep had no issue to cancel the card prompto. It is just annoying why some accounts had to call in.

sdsearch Jan 12, 2016 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by dandrews9 (Post 26007594)
How long after canceling cards do you recommend waiting before reapplying? I have had both biz and personal for 11 months. Can I cancel then reapply immediately?

No need to cancel first. However, if you have high credit limits (like BofA likes to hand out), you should not cancel (until you get the 2nd annual fee billed), but you should request a lowering of the credit limit immediately to something small (if you're no longer using those cards much, which I presume is the case if you're preparing to cancel).

The reason: If BofA is not willing to give you (hardly any) more credit limit than you already have, you'll get only a 5k bonus instead of a 25k bonus, since you won't be approved for the Visa Signature (but only a lower level of Visa).

Meanwhile, the credit limit you free up by lowering it on existing cards is available much faster (though it still may take weeks) than the credit limit you free up by cancelling (which may take months). So even if you're going to cancel in a few weeks, reduce the credit limit now to just a few thousand each.

RobertHanson Jan 13, 2016 8:55 am

Originally Posted by aza72 (Post 26002644)
You need to get them to increase the CL to 5K, then get a product change to visa signature, and finally put a request through for the additional bonus. If you do it the same day as the initial app, the pulls will be merged, otherwise it will result in additional HP on your credit file.

You COULD try that, but it's not guaranteed to work, and it's absolutely a giant hassle. If successful, it may take up to 2 months to finally receive the card. And it will result in another HP, just like a new app would. I've done it twice, and would never go thru that again.

Just reapply. Make sure you apply during weekday business hours. Then if you get approved for another Plat, immediately reapply, which when done the same day will only result in one HP. The second app will be denied or go pending, as a supposed "duplicate". Then call Recon right away, tell them you only want one card, and ask them to approve the second app as a Signature and to cancel the first Plat card.

rev Jan 13, 2016 10:14 am

Originally Posted by RobertHanson (Post 26011660)
Just reapply. Make sure you apply during weekday business hours. Then if you get approved for another Plat, immediately reapply, which when done the same day will only result in one HP. The second app will be denied or go pending, as a supposed "duplicate". Then call Recon right away, tell them you only want one card, and ask them to approve the second app as a Signature and to cancel the first Plat card.

This should be the default response for this question every time. Informative and concise.

I plan on applying again soon, as my last BofA app was 8/15. Already lowered my limit to $2k, my only concern is also hitting the $5k minimum limit since my first limit was $5k. I couldn't find many data points, but the very few I saw seems like the second approved card tends to have a higher CL than the first (given the person is applying responsibly). Can anyone back this up?

RobertHanson Jan 13, 2016 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by rev (Post 26012086)
This should be the default response for this question every time. Informative and concise.

:)

aza72 Jan 13, 2016 3:02 pm

You COULD try that, but it's not guaranteed to work, and it's absolutely a giant hassle. If successful, it may take up to 2 months to finally receive the card. And it will result in another HP, just like a new app would. I've done it twice, and would never go thru that again.

True, it is more hassle, but you also end up with the $50 flight credit in addition to the companion pass and only pay the platinum fee the first year. So, for some, the $75 may be worth the giant hassle.

johnnie198x Jan 13, 2016 3:58 pm

Just reapply. ... The second app will be denied or go pending, as a supposed "duplicate". Then call Recon right away, tell them you only want one card, and ask them to approve the second app as a Signature and to cancel the first Plat card.

Can they still approve you for 2 cards in the same day? I remember they no longer approve 2 cards after Mr. Bowtie bragged about having 5 in the same day.

rev Jan 13, 2016 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by johnnie198x (Post 26014081)
Can they still approve you for 2 cards in the same day? I remember they no longer approve 2 cards after Mr. Bowtie bragged about having 5 in the same day.

He's not saying to get approved for both, he's saying if the first card was approved as a Plat instead of a Sig, apply again (which will be considered a duplicate app by the system and not processed) then call recon so they can flag one as a duplicate - to which you'd say flag the first app - so now the Plat approval won't be processed, leaving a clean slate 2nd app for them to approve as a Sig over the phone.

Of course YMMV if they give you the Sig, but it's worth a try since they combined pulls on 'duplicate' requests anyway.

anubond005 Jan 13, 2016 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by rev (Post 26014279)
He's not saying to get approved for both, he's saying if the first card was approved as a Plat instead of a Sig, apply again (which will be considered a duplicate app by the system and not processed) then call recon so they can flag one as a duplicate - to which you'd say flag the first app - so now the Plat approval won't be processed, leaving a clean slate 2nd app for them to approve as a Sig over the phone.

Of course YMMV if they give you the Sig, but it's worth a try since they combined pulls on 'duplicate' requests anyway.

Wife applied for 2 personal cards on the same day. 1st was approved wit $7k and 2nd one was denied. Really not sure if she should call recon n say what to get approved for the 2nd one?? ny suggestions??

rev Jan 14, 2016 6:15 am

Originally Posted by anubond005 (Post 26015350)
Wife applied for 2 personal cards on the same day. 1st was approved wit $7k and 2nd one was denied. Really not sure if she should call recon n say what to get approved for the 2nd one?? ny suggestions??

I don't really check into this thread too often unless I'm preparing to apply for another one, but I recall reading that they completely shut down same day app approvals. I applied for two at the same time last August and they absolutely would not approve my second app after several calls. She has nothing to lose if she gives it a shot, but in my opinion, I wouldn't count on it. It should still be one pull, so no big loss.

RobertHanson Jan 14, 2016 8:18 am

Originally Posted by rev (Post 26016719)
I don't really check into this thread too often unless I'm preparing to apply for another one, but I recall reading that they completely shut down same day app approvals. I applied for two at the same time last August and they absolutely would not approve my second app after several calls. She has nothing to lose if she gives it a shot, but in my opinion, I wouldn't count on it. It should still be one pull, so no big loss.

Going from memory, since I don't want to take the time to reread the past posts on this thread, it's YMMV. For a while it was one card per day, then I think they loosened up, and some people have gotten 2, and some people have only been allowed one.

Still as the OP here says, it's a free call, and if you call the same day as the apps, the HP is already done, so why not call. However, if you call the day after the two apps, you will get a new HP as they consider whether or not to approve the second card, so then it depends on how HP adverse you feel.

anubond005 Jan 14, 2016 9:01 am

[QUOTE=RobertHanson;2601732. However, if you call the day after the two apps, you will get a new HP as they consider whether or not to approve the second card, so then it depends on how HP adverse you feel.[/QUOTE]
Are u sure calling Recon will result in another hard pull. From what I know application stays active for 1 month and during recon they don't do another hard pull but jus go over all the info and make a call.

MCIdave Jan 14, 2016 10:17 am

Is anyone else using my strategy one business and one personal per time.

Slow and steady, no?