Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Global Payments reports "millions" of card accounts affected by security breach

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2012, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: (PM)AA SPG (Marriott), Hilton

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2012/03/m...cessor-breach/
(Original story and they are updating as new news comes in, other news sources are quoting Krebs.)

All the facts are not in yet, but preliminary analysis suggests the cards were used in parking garages and possibly in taxi cabs in and around the New York City area between Jan. 21 and Feb. 25. Commercial cards (those issued to businesses) may be what was targeted.

Both data fields on the cards were taken, enabling card cloning.

Actual fraud reported so far may be under 1,000 cards.

Visa Statement:
Visa has provided payment card issuers with the affected account numbers so they can take steps to protect consumers through independent fraud monitoring and, if needed, reissuing cards.
I haven't seen the Mastercard statement yet, but I'm sure it's basically the same.

----

Update:
The number of cards 'exported' is on the order of 1.5 million cards.

In its follow-up statement Sunday, the company [Global Payments] mentioned only that “Track 2 card data may have been stolen, but that cardholder names, addresses and social security numbers were not obtained by the criminals.”

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2012/04/g...ards-exported/

Last edited by reft; Apr 2, 2012 at 7:41 am Reason: Add new information and numbers from 4/2 updates
Old Apr 2, 2012, 8:30 pm

1.5 million credit cards hacked

I haven't seen this posted yet but on Friday, a company called Global Payments was hacked and info on 1.5 million cards was stolen. Global Payments serves as a middleman processing payments for credit, debit and gift card payment around the world. I would strongly urge everyone to check their accts to see if unauthorized charges have been made. I have heard stories from friends who have already been called from AmEx asking if certain charges were theirs, which were made at opposite ends of the country from where they live.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
Originally Posted by normthe
I haven't seen this posted yet but on Friday, a company called Global Payments was hacked and info on 1.5 million cards was stolen. Global Payments serves as a middleman processing payments for credit, debit and gift card payment around the world. I would strongly urge everyone to check their accts to see if unauthorized charges have been made. I have heard stories from friends who have already been called from AmEx asking if certain charges were theirs, which were made at opposite ends of the country from where they live.
If your account information was among the compromised, your card issuer will contact you. The last thing the companies need is several million phone calls from all their clients. Watching your activity online, though, is never a bad practice!
Old Apr 3, 2012, 6:56 am

Programs: HH diamond
Esp keep an eye on little amounts that may OTW go unnoticed. Someone who has bought or stolen your card number may test it by making a tiny purchase to see if the number is live. The big purchase follows after confirming the card working.

Also look at pending charges. I had a pending charge from a place I've never been to and an area I had not gone to. I cancelled the card when I saw that, knowing my card had been compromised somewhere along the way.

Last edited by travelinfoo; Apr 3, 2012 at 10:02 am
Old Apr 3, 2012, 7:54 am
Suspended

Could be coincidence, but my United Airlines Presidential Plus Business Card had a couple fraudulent charges Saturday morning when I woke up. They were from 2 places in canada.. Definitely not mine, as I've never been to canada.

Chase handled the situation very very well. Despite it being about noon Saturday when I called, I had a new card and number on my doorstep via UPS by noon on Monday.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 8:00 am

Info from Motley Fool

This information was taken from an article written by Dawn Kawamoto, for the Motley Fool.
http://www.dailyfinance.com/2012/04/...hat-to-do-now/

Afraid Your Credit Card Data Was Hacked? Here's What to Do Now

Credit Card Hack It ain't pretty and it never is. No one likes to hear that their bank, credit card issuer, transaction processor, or any of the merchants they've used who issue plastic has been hit with a security breach.

In the latest hack attack, which was revealed Friday, third-party credit card processor Global Payments (GPN) said that it believes up to 1.5 million credit cards issued in North America may have been compromised, with security thieves potentially stealing "Track 2" information such as the account numbers, expiration dates, and three-digit PINs on the back of customers' cards. Cardholders' names, addresses, and Social Security numbers, however, weren't pilfered, the company says.

For more info click on the link above.

Last edited by normthe; Apr 3, 2012 at 10:32 am Reason: Cpmpliance request
Old May 28, 2012, 1:34 pm

FIA Amex fraud this weekend

Phone call just now from FIA, 5 not-mine charges in the last couple of days, Target, Ikea, at locations within an hour's drive, a $1 test, ...

Card cancelled, new one in the mail, ... I'm guessing the card was cloned. Neither it nor I have been traveling and there's no pin/ATM feature enabled.

This is, I think, the third fraud on the FIA Amex. Even though FIA caught this quickly, I have a sense of unease; it's invasive, disturbing.

I balance all my statements before paying (promptly) but I don't regularly monitor online, especially the rewards cards acquired for bonuses that I keep and don't use.

Sylvia

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.