Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Best Cards for Airline or Hotel elite Status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2012, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Platinum

While currently a Delta DM, I am expecting my flying to reduce this year, so I am not expecting to maintain Delta DM status by flying.

I am expecting to pay about 30-40K a year for college tuition for the next for years at a "private school on the East Coast" (name withheld).

I currently have an AMEX Delta Platinum, so I know I can keep this card and earn 20K MQM miles after 50K of spending.

I enjoy the skyclub benefit that comes with Delta DM, but since I am likely to not maintain DM next year, I'd consider the Delta Reserve, which also gives me MQM miles with a Miles Boost.

Are there other cards that I can get that will give me status on airlines?

Feedback?
Old Mar 13, 2012, 9:02 pm

Programs: Delta Plat Kool-Aid Drinker, Hyatt Diamond, SPG GM, Marriott GM, Hilton GM, and Priority Club GM
Originally Posted by tikiboy
While currently a Delta DM, I am expecting my flying to reduce this year, so I am not expecting to maintain Delta DM status by flying.

I am expecting to pay about 30-40K a year for college tuition for the next for years at a "private school on the East Coast" (name withheld).

I currently have an AMEX Delta Platinum, so I know I can keep this card and earn 20K MQM miles after 50K of spending.

I enjoy the skyclub benefit that comes with Delta DM, but since I am likely to not maintain DM next year, I'd consider the Delta Reserve, which also gives me MQM miles with a Miles Boost.

Are there other cards that I can get that will give me status on airlines?

Feedback?
Get the "black card". Instant Plat status. Side note make sure the college takes CC. Lots of them stopped taking them in the last few years.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 1:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Platinum
Don't think I'll meet the requirements for the invitation.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 9:36 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Please see this thread which approaches the same topic from another direction:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...rst-class.html
Old May 25, 2012, 6:56 pm

airline credit cards which give status miles

Is there any airline credit cards which will give status miles. for ex. 5k status miles for every 20k spend, etc.,?

I do decent travel, but unfortunately i am not able to book on single airline or single alliance. for ex. on BA, 20 points short of status; united at 12k, delta at 10k etc., so far.. so probably by end of year, i may end up at 20k at each of those.. so little bit of push from non flying miles will help. any suggestions?
Old May 25, 2012, 7:39 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM; EK Silver; HH Gold
Delta has two Amex cards that give status miles (MQMs in Dl speak) for meeting annual spending thresholds: the Delta Platinum and the Delta Reserve.
Old May 31, 2012, 12:49 am

Programs: USairways, United, Hilton, Marriott
USAirways Mastercards give 10K EQMs for 25K spend
Old May 31, 2012, 2:03 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
The old Chase Visa Signature card gave 1 status mile per $1 spent on United purchases up to 5,000 and then it also gave 5,000 when you spent $35,000 annually.
I think people who still have it are grandfathered but not sure on the new cards
Old May 31, 2012, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by priceline
Is there any airline credit cards which will give status miles. for ex. 5k status miles for every 20k spend, etc.,?
I don't think any of them continues to give status miles for every 20k or whatever spend. AFAIK all of them have a limit of how much you can earn per year, typically somethink like Nk miles for the first Xk spend, and that's it, no more status miles that year.

So if you're trying to get a nudge to the lowest elite level, they might help.

If you're not even at the lowest elite level, though, it's doubtful any of them could get you to the second level up.

And be aware that the benefits on the lowest elite level are diminishing (especially in terms of access to better seats), while the benefits with just carrying the right card (Delta AMEX for Delta, Mileage Plus Exporer for UA, a variety of AA cards for AA) are increasing (free checked bags, somewhat priority boarding, etc).

(And upgrades tend to come rarely on signficant flights to those with just bottom level elite status at most airlines. It may be easier to get upgrades by collecting miles as fast as you can, and then miles to upgrade, than to do lots of spend just to get a low level of status.)

Also, do the math on the cost of mileage runs. Depending on where you live, earning 5k extra miles by doing a round trip (with perhaps indirect routing) just for that purpose over one weekend may not cost you all that much, may use only one or two weekends a year, and then you don't have to worry about what elusive card you do tons of spend on.

Also, consider the non-alliance alliance: Alaska Airlines partners individually with sevearl of the airlines you fly, even though those airlines are not in the same alliance. And in with some partner airlines Alaska has some shared elite benefits.

And, btw, only some elite benefits work across alliances anyway.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 4:49 pm

Elite stauts

Is there any cc that would give u a status just by useing it not by flying?
Old Dec 16, 2012, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
No.

There are credit cards that will give you elite qualifying miles. The most common deal is 10K EQM's if you spend $25K in a year. I'm pretty sure that US World Mastercard and Delta Amex Plat both do that, and Delta Reserve has some sort of deal. Not sure about other airlines.

US will allow you to buy trial elite status, but you have to fly a certain number of segments in the first 90 days to keep it.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 5:10 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
The American Express Centurion card gives US Platinum and Delta Platinum Medallion. It's also invite-only and $7500 to join ($2500 a year annual fee).
Old Dec 16, 2012, 5:37 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

joku's question has been moved from MilesBuzz to Credit Card Programs and appended to a brief previous discussion of this topic. Some airlines do offer credit card which include a subset of eleite status benefits (e.g. free checked bag, early boarding), but none offer full elite status, aside from the invitation-only American Express Centurion.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:17 pm

The Chase United Club card offers benefits that somewhat exceeds the entry level elite on UA.

- United Club Membership
Valid for both United Clubs and Star Alliance Partner airlines clubs for the primary card holder + 1 Guest, even if you are not flying UA / *A Flights

- 2 free checked bags
Entry level elite only gets 1 free bag

- Premier Access: priority check-in, security screening and boarding.

- Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum elite status.

- No last-minute award fees
( non-elite : $75, entry level elite $50, mid-level elite $25, wavied for 75K+ miles level elite )

Plus it earns 1.5 UA miles per $1 spent.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime PE, Hilton Dia, WN CP, Hyatt Plat
Which airlines/hotels/car rentals give status from Credit Cards spend

I don't fly as much as I used to and now I'm looking for a list of airlines, hotels and rental cars that grant status purely on credit card spending.

I got a companion pass on WN based on cc spend and also got Hilton Diamond on cc spend.

What else is available?

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.