Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Applying for Business Credit Cards [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2016, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seloewy
Apologies if this was answered. I searched with no luck. I already have a Chase SW RR card for a consulting business. I am starting a second business and want to keep expenses separate. If I get 2nd business card will I still be eligible for signup bonus?
Originally Posted by Electroman
For a second business? Sure.
Huh? Using an SSN or EIN? No way that Chase will give you 2nd signup bonus within two years if it's on the same SSN (which tends to be used for sole proprietorships such as consulting businesses), if those are the terms in the fine print on the card offer you're applying for.

So whether it's a second business has no bearing on it if using an SSN. On most card offers, only the time since the last bonus was earned matters.

It's better to ask Chase-specific questions in the Chase forum. Start with the Wikipost in this thread:
Old Jan 6, 2016, 3:31 pm

Data point - I manage a partnership with 8 figures invested into a large real estate development project that will not show a profit for probably another 2 years after entitlement work is completed. Even though we own the property free and clear and my fico is 800+ I was just denied by chase for an ink card because I admitted that we were currently not turning a profit as we were still investing to complete entitlements before we proceeded to market the property.

I have an ink for a different consulting business that I have had for 4 years. No banking relationship with Chase. 11 other cards opened in last 12 months with 3 of them chase cobranded cards

Is it worth trying the reconsideration line?
Old Jan 12, 2016, 2:36 pm

Most definitely you should try reconsideration.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 1:45 am

Best card for random business spend?

Already a CSP/Freedom user, I was thinking to get the Ink Plus, but on second thought my business spend doesn't really fit it - most benefit would only come from buying gift cards from office supply stores (i.e. screwing around with non business spend). My internet and phone fees aren't high.

My biggest spend categories for business are air tickets and software. Business dining, and random expenses make up the rest.

I have Amex SPG. Seems to be highest valued points and I'm thinking just stick with it, and push air tickets onto Prestige for the 3x bonus as it's worth dealing with the extra accounting hassle for that big a bonus on a couple transactions.

Should I be looking at any different cards or strategies for business spending? SPG beats out the 2% cards, and I don't really see citi business cards to parlay with prestige.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 6:47 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
American Express Business Gold Rewards includes both airline tickets and some software purchases as bonus categories.

See post #4 of this thread for an overview:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26090580-post4.html

The eligible software vendors are listed here:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c.../business.html

You will receive additional rewards ONLY when you purchase directly from a U.S. location of a company on this list of select computer hardware, software, and cloud computing providers that accept the Card

• Apple
• CDW
• Dell
• HP
• IBM
• Intuit
• Lenovo
• Microsoft
• Newegg
• Oracle
• Rackspace
• Sage Software
• Salesforce.com
• Symantec
• Tiger Direct

You will NOT receive additional rewards if the purchase is made through a third-party (including resellers and online marketplaces) or through a third-party payment account
Old Jan 28, 2016, 8:37 am

What program(s) can you leverage high value redemptions options? Don't just rely on earn rate and/or consensus.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 12:02 am

Business Credit Card advice

Hi new member here needing some advice on which credit cards to use. My company has about $200K in monthly expenses that I can apply to a credit card.

I current have the business versions of SPG and Chase Ink Plus but was wondering if at my level of spend would it be better to spread the charges across even more cards.

I was thinking of getting the southwest card for starters and possibly the Amex Platinum.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 12:48 am

Business Credit Card advice

With that level of spend you could afford to spread it out. I would add the United card for 2x gas and 10,000 point bonus for $25,000 annual spend. Also the AMEX cards to stock up on Membership Rewards. Both Chase Ultimate Rewards and AMEX Membership Rewards transfer to Singapore and British Airways. Depends on your goals, but you might want to add hotel cards as well, other than just SPG. Marriott might be a good option, since they'll ultimately merge the program.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 1:45 am

You will have way more federally mandated protections IF you use personal cards for business expenses.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 1:52 am

It would really depend on if any of that spend is in categories for which you could get bonuses. If possible, provide a general breakdown of the categories of spend.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 4:00 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond-Marriott Platinum-life
Originally Posted by zombiemind8
Hi new member here needing some advice on which credit cards to use. My company has about $200K in monthly expenses that I can apply to a credit card.

I current have the business versions of SPG and Chase Ink Plus but was wondering if at my level of spend would it be better to spread the charges across even more cards.

I was thinking of getting the southwest card for starters and possibly the Amex Platinum.
You're going to ask a bunch of strangers on a public forum what credit card you should use to spend 2.4 million yearly, perhaps better asked to your tax accountant on the best procedure to use.

Oh, and welcome to Flyer talk
Old Feb 15, 2016, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by mike2200
You're going to ask a bunch of strangers on a public forum what credit card you should use to spend 2.4 million yearly, perhaps better asked to your tax accountant on the best procedure to use.

Can you clarify what you mean here. Like what are the different options?
Old Feb 15, 2016, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by Phantom707
It would really depend on if any of that spend is in categories for which you could get bonuses. If possible, provide a general breakdown of the categories of spend.
95% non bonus categories.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I would say this is a good idea, not only for points, but in an accounting perspective.

By using different accounts for different expense categories, your accountant's job will be easier (as your statements will pretty much speak for themselves).

Originally Posted by bigbuy
You will have way more federally mandated protections IF you use personal cards for business expenses.
Based on a $2.4 million in annual spending, my concern is if banks will start asking questions or closing down accounts for the alleged MS.

Can you clarify what you mean here. Like what are the different options?
I think what mike2200 means is your accountant can (and is supposed to) give you advice on how you can maximize your tax advantage to reduce tax liability.

95% non bonus categories.
You can apply anything as you want to.

With $200K/month spending, opening bonus will not be an issue.

And since you will not earn bonus since they are most non-bonus categories, you can use your cards as you see fit.

But again - try to "specialize" the cards for accounting purposes.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum-2 MM Starwood Plat,Delta DM
Originally Posted by mike2200

Seriously. ... does a tax accountant know about miles/points. And frankly its not relevant in any way. Which cards he is using has no bearing on his business in general. And for the most part ... does a tax accountant know about running a business? The only business they know is running a tax business :-)
With todays technology to download statements, transactions into Quickbooks etc that should be no problem to split things.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.