Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

US Air Visa vs. US Air MC...keep open or cancel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2011, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US, UA, CO, AA, Delta

Looking for some strategic advice here. I have 2 US Air branded credit cards.

US Air Visa Card:
Opened in 2000 (BOA)
Credit limit of $25K
Annual fee of $50
Benefits of 1DM per 1$; don't even remember if I got sign up miles

US Air MC:
Opened in March 2010 (Barclays)
Credit limit of $10K
Annual fee of $89 (wasn't waived the first year)
Benefits of 1DM per $1; 2DM per $1 on US Air; $10K anniversary points each year; 5K award discount; 25K DM after first purchase; 500 DM for in-flight signup

Clearly the MC wins for benefits even though the annual fee is higher.

My question is whether or not I should cancel the Visa and harm my credit score by closing one of my longest owned cards OR just keep both and suck up the $50 annual fee.

I called BOA today to inquire about cancelling because of the lack of benefits and there was no offer of bonus points to keep me as a customer, or "please don't go" begging. I asked about transferring to a no fee card and that's not an option either (doesn't exist).

I'm a relatively new CC churner and don't want to harm my 770 credit score but I also want to be smart about the number of annual fee related cards I have. Any thoughts, advice, suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Rebecca
Old Nov 30, 2011, 3:26 pm

Programs: Hertz President's Circle, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I would keep both. You would lose a hit with US Airways Grand Slam promo, that is if they continue this next year and beyond. Using both cards would be an easy 2 hits. Not worth cancelling imo just for that reason alone.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 3:36 pm

Did you check if it was possible to downgrade your card to one that has no annual fee, even if it's not a USAir branded card? That way you keep your account history but lose the fee.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US, UA, CO, AA, Delta
I did. The rep told me it wasn't an option. I guess for $50 a year I'll keep it. Thanks.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by divmember
I did. The rep told me it wasn't an option. I guess for $50 a year I'll keep it. Thanks.
Call again. "Customer Service Roulette" can often yield the desired results with a little patience.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 8:59 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by divmember
I called BOA today to inquire about cancelling because of the lack of benefits and there was no offer of bonus points to keep me as a customer, or "please don't go" begging. I asked about transferring to a no fee card and that's not an option either (doesn't exist).
Bank of America is no longer the issuer of US Airways affinity cards. Their contract with the airline may only allow them to maintain grandfathered accounts, and this might preclude issuing mileage retention bonuses. However, this would not seem to explain why they are unable to convert the card to another type.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.