FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   [EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1182580-expired-fee-waived-us-airways-card-30k-10k-anniversary.html)

BOSOGG May 17, 2014 7:56 am

Originally Posted by beachfan (Post 22877459)
Just got formal notice from Barclay bank;

Starting 2015, the following go away:
Miles towards preferred status (10k after $25k spend)
Companion certificate
US Airways day club pass
First Class checking

Being replaced with:
10% of miles back on redemptions
25% off in flight purchases
$100 flight discount after $30k spend

Sad to see the miles towards status go away

Any mention of the 10k miles at anniversary?

I Love to Travel May 17, 2014 9:05 am

Originally Posted by BOSOGG (Post 22879127)
Any mention of the 10k miles at anniversary?

Just got the same mailer. It makes no mention of the 10K miles at anniversary.

tjbrooks May 17, 2014 11:55 am

Originally Posted by I Love to Travel (Post 22879372)
Just got the same mailer. It makes no mention of the 10K miles at anniversary.

But even the annual fee letter from Barclays doesn't mention the 10K annual bonus, yet it's still being awarded.

nall May 17, 2014 12:00 pm

Any mention of the 5k discount? That would be a nice advantage over the Citi cards if kept.

healthnut May 17, 2014 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by nall (Post 22880057)
Any mention of the 5k discount? That would be a nice advantage over the Citi cards if kept.

Nope... :td:

skitch23 May 17, 2014 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by healthnut (Post 22880207)
Nope... :td:

Actually it does mention the 5k discount. It's on the first page of the mailer under the exclusive benefits heading.

"Enjoy award travel for 5,000 fewer miles - redeem for award travel on US Airways operated flights for 5,000 fewer miles at every award level"

PHX392 May 17, 2014 9:58 pm

Shame to see the 10keqm/25k going away in 2015. Was really hoping to juice my account between Barclay's and Citi Exec. <sigh> Back to the tried and true churn method.

brownie20 May 17, 2014 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by tjbrooks (Post 22817019)
I used the current 30K link a few months ago because people were having these "Preferred" problems with the now-expired 30K. Thought this link might be different. I was wrong. I had closed my US card a few months earlier. Instant approval. No longer had the "DMS" status that the US card confers.

Originally Posted by Kpoxa (Post 22831658)
I was rejected without hard pull 3 weeks ago. Letter said that denial was because I am not preferred member. I had several USAir cards before but no longer have any. I am wondering if I can reapply using 40K offer (with annual fee) or I have to wait 60 days? I assume that even though there wasn't a hard pull it still counted as application.

i guess from kpoxa's experience we learn that previously having the card doesn't prevent the "not preferred" denial from happening. that's too bad :(

FTR 787 May 18, 2014 12:43 am

just wondering, for those with multiple US Airways cards, if you spend $25k on each can you get 10k EQMs multiple times?

sdsearch May 18, 2014 4:05 am

Originally Posted by skitch23 (Post 22881978)
Actually it does mention the 5k discount. It's on the first page of the mailer under the exclusive benefits heading.

"Enjoy award travel for 5,000 fewer miles - redeem for award travel on US Airways operated flights for 5,000 fewer miles at every award level"

But sometime in 2015, there may not be any US Airways operated flights left. So if it doesn't mention that this benefit will stay around and expand to AA operated flights, while it does mention the 10% rebate on awards, I have my doubts as to how long this 5k discount will last, since it seems to be the same sort of thing as the 10% rebate.

Also, does it mention the 10% rebate being capped at 10,000 miles per year? That's how it works with the Citi card. So unless it specifically says it's "uncapped", I'd expect that's how it would work whether it's stated yet or not.

sdsearch May 18, 2014 4:12 am

Originally Posted by PHX392 (Post 22882009)
Shame to see the 10keqm/25k going away in 2015. Was really hoping to juice my account between Barclay's and Citi Exec. <sigh> Back to the tried and true churn method.

What tried and true churn method? :confused:

From the Wikipost on the Citi Exec thread:
What about the EQM? AA tracks your miles earned on Executive card(s) and adds 10K Elite Qualifying Miles to your EQM balance once you earn 40,000 miles during a calendar year on Executive card(s). Any number of Executive cards can add up to the 40K, and you cannot earn more than 10K EQM each year.
So no matter how many Citi Exec cards you get a year, you still can only get at most 10k EQM a year from them all.

PHX392 May 18, 2014 9:56 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 22882794)
What tried and true churn method? :confused:

From the Wikipost on the Citi Exec thread:
What about the EQM? AA tracks your miles earned on Executive card(s) and adds 10K Elite Qualifying Miles to your EQM balance once you earn 40,000 miles during a calendar year on Executive card(s). Any number of Executive cards can add up to the 40K, and you cannot earn more than 10K EQM each year.
So no matter how many Citi Exec cards you get a year, you still can only get at most 10k EQM a year from them all.

If your a lower level elite.....churn miles towards non revenue tickets and bag status

Haleyb May 18, 2014 11:23 am

So twice now, last week and in January, I submit an application but it never shows up at all. Never hear back. Nothing.

Is there any known issue with Safari in Private browsing?
This was going to be my first application after 4 months, now it will be my 4th in a week and my 7th in the last 4 months, 8th in the last 6 months.

My credit score is still in the Excellent range. Am Ex over nighted me my new card and included my FICO score in the info they set.

sdsearch May 18, 2014 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by PHX392 (Post 22883787)
If your a lower level elite.....churn miles towards non revenue tickets and bag status

Huh? How do you churn miles into bag status?

Have you heard that AA has just stopped treating AAnyTime awards as "full-fare" in terms of bag allowance?

If you want 1 bag free, you should get and hold one Citi AA card, with nominal $95/fee but many people don't pay it "net" many/most years because of frequent retention offers. But it's the holding of the card, not the miles earned, that get you that bag free (and some other not-quite-elite-status perks). However, the same perks are available with lowest level elite status, so if you're already lowest level elite status, I'm not sure how you increase your bag allowance with credit cards (beyond the one 10k EQM boost a year).

If you want more bags free, you have to redeem for premium international cabin flights, whether you need them for any other purpose or not. If you were going to do that anyway, then what does the loss of the hoped-for extra 10k EQM matter? If you weren't going to that anyway, that's a lot of extra miles just to not pay a bag fee.

(Me, I have a simpler solution for bag fees: Carryon-only! Works everywhere except a few ultra-nickel-and-dime LCCs like Spirit and now Frontier.)

PainCorp May 18, 2014 2:15 pm

He means bag as in attain. "I've got that EP status in the bag."