FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   [EXPIRED] Fee waived, US Airways Card, 30K + 10k @ anniversary (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1182580-expired-fee-waived-us-airways-card-30k-10k-anniversary.html)

michael_v May 9, 2014 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by FTRox87 (Post 22838021)
when did you apply for the 1st US air card?

The poster said AF just posted for 1st card, so I would say they applied 1 year ago.

hnf8705 May 9, 2014 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by michael_v (Post 22838726)
The poster said AF just posted for 1st card, so I would say they applied 1 year ago.

That is correct.. It was actually April of 2013 though.. :)

flyer4512 May 9, 2014 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by wholeinone04 (Post 22837826)
I'd like to know this too, my 10k points just posted, no AF yet though. I guess I could just call in right now to cancel since the AF hasn't posted yet but I thought you had a month to get the AF refunded no?

MY AF posted 4/30 and my anniversary date is 5/24 so no idea. I believe you have 60 days after the AF posts to cancel and get it refnded

If you cancel BEFORE the AF posts you don't have to pay it (did that on card #1) if the AF posts you have to pay it and wait for a check to refund the fee.

I could be wrong but I believe you have t pay the AF to keep the account current and to be able to close the account

Maybe somebody who closed the account after the AF posted can chime in

beltway May 11, 2014 10:18 am

Originally Posted by flyer4512 (Post 22839937)
if the AF posts you have to pay it and wait for a check to refund the fee.

I could be wrong but I believe you have t pay the AF to keep the account current and to be able to close the account

Maybe somebody who closed the account after the AF posted can chime in

The DW & I both canceled our cards recently (after successful apps for new ones). In each case, we
  • waited until the anniversary bonus & annual fee posted
  • sent a secure message asking to have the account closed & the AF credited back
  • saw the credit within a few days

So no, you do not have to pay the AF & ask for a refund check (assuming you close the account at least a few days before the fee payment is due).

mh1361 May 11, 2014 7:55 pm

Data point: Just got a letter in the mail acknowledging my request to withdraw my application after being rejected. They said they didn't pull my credit, and Credit Karma never reported a new inquiry after I applied.

soy May 11, 2014 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by mh1361 (Post 22848641)
Data point: Just got a letter in the mail acknowledging my request to withdraw my application after being rejected. They said they didn't pull my credit, and Credit Karma never reported a new inquiry after I applied.

same here

michael_v May 12, 2014 9:44 am

Originally Posted by mh1361 (Post 22848641)

Was your application rejected due to not being elite member? How did you request to withdraw?

flyer4512 May 12, 2014 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by beltway (Post 22846582)
The DW & I both canceled our cards recently (after successful apps for new ones). In each case, we
  • waited until the anniversary bonus & annual fee posted
  • sent a secure message asking to have the account closed & the AF credited back
  • saw the credit within a few days

So no, you do not have to pay the AF & ask for a refund check (assuming you close the account at least a few days before the fee payment is due).

Thanks, hopefully they credit the AF before the payment is due. Statement hasn't closed yet so I just see the $89 AF and no 10K yet

michael_v May 14, 2014 6:54 am

Instantly approved for 4th US Air card using link in the wiki. All prior US Air cards closed and credit limit on Arrival card reduced prior to this application, no other Barclay cards. Entered my non-preferred Dividend miles number on the application. New card shows now in my online Barclay account. I have been following my personal rule: only one US Air card application per year.

mh1361 May 15, 2014 8:58 am

Originally Posted by michael_v (Post 22851023)
Was your application rejected due to not being elite member? How did you request to withdraw?

Yes, I was rejected due to not being a preferred member. When I called recon the second time, the CSR said he could withdraw my application so I could apply for another one without an issue. I didn't apply for a different one, but still wanted him to withdraw it.

uvasteph May 16, 2014 12:47 pm

Data point: My husband and I were each instantly approved today for our 5th US Air card using the first link in the wiki. We each had one US Air card open when we applied. Neither of us are elite members.

tdrag97 May 16, 2014 3:00 pm

Data point: Cancel my 1st US Air card on 4/1/14, reapply today using the 1st link (30k+1st purchase + no fee 1st year), had to call in to move Arrival credit line over to this new (2nd) US Air and got approved. Also non-elite member.

nandemo1 May 16, 2014 3:46 pm

Also rejected for lacking preferred status, had them withdraw app while on the line.

beachfan May 16, 2014 8:22 pm

Just got formal notice from Barclay bank;

Starting 2015, the following go away:
Miles towards preferred status (10k after $25k spend)
Companion certificate
US Airways day club pass
First Class checking

Being replaced with:
10% of miles back on redemptions
25% off in flight purchases
$100 flight discount after $30k spend

Sad to see the miles towards status go away

sdsearch May 17, 2014 7:17 am

Originally Posted by beachfan (Post 22877459)
Just got formal notice from Barclay bank;

Starting 2015, the following go away:
Miles towards preferred status (10k after $25k spend)
Companion certificate
US Airways day club pass
First Class checking

Being replaced with:
10% of miles back on redemptions
25% off in flight purchases
$100 flight discount after $30k spend

Sad to see the miles towards status go away

Presumably also the upfront discount on redemption is going away.

In short, this sounds like an alignment with the existing benefits on Citi AA cards. So you'll get no different benefits if you continue to hold the US card than if you cancel it and apply for a Citi AA card.

I'm guessing it was probably a requirement to allow Barclays to be able to continue having AA cards that those Barclays AA cards would have to have aligned benefits with the Citi AA cards. I wouldn't be surprised if that was already known inside Barclays at the time it was announced that Barclays cards would "grandfathered", they just took a little time to announce it publicly.