Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Which Canadian credit card should I get?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Consolidated] Which Canadian credit card should I get?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2012, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by jerry305
Search threads for converting Avion points to British Airways. You'll see there's been a recurring promo (once a year? twice a year?) that offers a very good conversion rate.
It's more the sign-up bonuses I'm inquiring about, not the transfer bonuses.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 1:02 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Fair enough. Just saying if your goal is BA points, you should plan it out.

Startup bonuses aren't great with RBc. Good startup deals are Capital One Aspire, BW MC, Starwood Amex, new Marriott Visa.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 8:29 pm

Signed up and was approved over the phone for the RBC Visa Infinite. Got the standard 15k miles, plus the fee waived for the first year.

Thanks to FT, I went from 1 credit card to 4 in less than a year! Travelling 1st and Business is a lot more fun when you use miles instead of cash
Old Sep 8, 2012, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by spideysense
Signed up and was approved over the phone for the RBC Visa Infinite. Got the standard 15k miles, plus the fee waived for the first year.

Thanks to FT, I went from 1 credit card to 4 in less than a year! Travelling 1st and Business is a lot more fun when you use miles instead of cash
How did you get the fee waived? Did you originally bank with RBC?
Old Sep 9, 2012, 9:04 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
My bank nudged me to switch to the TD First Class Visa Infinite a few years ago. I was walking around with a green basic Visa because I never thought about it. The annual fee is waived based on chequing balance, and the card has all the bells and whistles. It gives 3 points per $1 charged (more for travel purchases through their travel agent) and seems to cost 200 points per $1 travel redeemed. That's a 1.5% reward ratio if my late night arithmetic is right. I keep accumulating and not spending it, so I have no idea how the redemption goes (rough or smooth). I can't see posts on this card here so hope perhaps someone will pipe up with an experience.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by flyquiet
My bank nudged me to switch to the TD First Class Visa Infinite a few years ago. I was walking around with a green basic Visa because I never thought about it. The annual fee is waived based on chequing balance, and the card has all the bells and whistles. It gives 3 points per $1 charged (more for travel purchases through their travel agent) and seems to cost 200 points per $1 travel redeemed. That's a 1.5% reward ratio if my late night arithmetic is right. I keep accumulating and not spending it, so I have no idea how the redemption goes (rough or smooth). I can't see posts on this card here so hope perhaps someone will pipe up with an experience.
Fixed redemption rate = extremely expensive business class tickets.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by yerffej201
How did you get the fee waived? Did you originally bank with RBC?
I do no banking with RBC. I simply asked the agent what promos were on. After pressing her a bit, she mentioned that if I have a competitor's travel rewards card, they will waive the fee.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by flyquiet
It's not a very good card, I gave it up. Get the RBC one and transfer your points to AA when they have transfer bonuses. You'll be able to travel F or J in Cathay and BA in no time!
Old Sep 10, 2012, 9:35 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Interesting, folks, thanks! To me, I figured that I don't charge anything different than before and now I have potential travel, so I am at least ahead of that. However, FT creates aspirational thinking! Most of my travel is YYZ - USA destinations, and the only FF I have is Aeroplan. Some of the cards are with banks I don't want to deal with, based on bad past experiences, but I will look at the transfer/point conversion thing and who has what. I hadn't got past the "hey, free points" stage before now. :-)
Old Sep 10, 2012, 9:56 pm

I do no banking with RBC. I simply asked the agent what promos were on. After pressing her a bit, she mentioned that if I have a competitor's travel rewards card, they will waive the fee.
When did you get the card? You think it's still offered?
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:27 am

When did you get the card? You think it's still offered?
I applied last week, but just to update, I cancelled my application today.

Although I was "approved" for $20k over the phone, RBC dragged me back to their branch TWICE to provide more documentation. I have a stellar credit score, high income, and no debt. RBC has made me provide 3 years of tax returns (originals, not copies - they made me go back for those), notice of assessments, asset details, and also made me log on to my TD checking account in front of them to prove that I have the funds that I stated I had (I guess the documents I provided from TD were not to be trusted).

If RBC wants to treat their clients like liars and con artists, then I have no desire doing any business with them. They just called me again 10 minutes ago asking for yet more documents, and I told them to cancel my application and take a hike. Again, I have NO OUTSTANDING DEBT. No line of credit, no mortgage, no car payments, nothing. I have a credit score in the 800's, lots of assets owned by me in my own name, and a high income that I pay all my taxes on. Never missed a payment on anything in my life. To make me jump through hoops like this is rather ridiculous.

Contrast that with AMEX, who approved me right away and I got the card within 48 hours.

So even if RBC called me back and offered a million miles per dollar spent, I would tell them to shove it.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:02 am

Although I was "approved" for $20k over the phone, RBC dragged me back to their branch TWICE to provide more documentation. I have a stellar credit score, high income, and no debt. RBC has made me provide 3 years of tax returns (originals, not copies - they made me go back for those), notice of assessments, asset details, and also made me log on to my TD checking account in front of them to prove that I have the funds that I stated I had (I guess the documents I provided from TD were not to be trusted).

If RBC wants to treat their clients like liars and con artists, then I have no desire doing any business with them. They just called me again 10 minutes ago asking for yet more documents, and I told them to cancel my application and take a hike. Again, I have NO OUTSTANDING DEBT. No line of credit, no mortgage, no car payments, nothing. I have a credit score in the 800's, lots of assets owned by me in my own name, and a high income that I pay all my taxes on. Never missed a payment on anything in my life. To make me jump through hoops like this is rather ridiculous.

Contrast that with AMEX, who approved me right away and I got the card within 48 hours.

So even if RBC called me back and offered a million miles per dollar spent, I would tell them to shove it.
Hard to believe ....... poor soul.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:06 am

they make it look like your taking out a mortgage
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:19 am

That happens even without getting a promo.
My friend applied for the 50k Avios bonus, and then tried to apply for another Infinite/Platinum Avion.
They're apparently really stringent on the cards.
Same process as you needed.
+1 Shove it.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:23 pm

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
That happens even without getting a promo.
My friend applied for the 50k Avios bonus, and then tried to apply for another Infinite/Platinum Avion.
They're apparently really stringent on the cards.
Same process as you needed.
+1 Shove it.
I got the RBC visa with the 50k Avios promo. Had none of the issues mentioned here.

I have not checked, but I would assume they did the credit check. No employer call, no request for documents, nothing.

They did get me to pick the card up at the branch (needed ID) which seemed strange, but I think it was just a chance to do a sales pitch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.