Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Which Canadian credit card should I get?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Consolidated] Which Canadian credit card should I get?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2012, 10:12 am

Such a thread would be really useful -- we all have lots of information on US mileage-earning cards and opportunities, but not so much on Canadians.

In particular, I find information on churning of Canadian cards lacking. Many people on FT have said yes, it's doable, but I haven't been able to find timelines for cancelling, waiting, and then reapplying for cards.

Also, other questions, for example, can one simultaneously hold a CIBC Aerogold and Aventura and get the sign-up bonus for both cards?

Also, I think our credit scores are calculated under different formulas and I think that they are not so quick to rise after several applications for cards.

I think this could be a useful thread

Last edited by mabramovich; Jan 10, 2012 at 11:04 am Reason: typo
Old Jan 10, 2012, 10:54 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I have a limited amount of experience in this, as I live in the USA and my wife lives in Canada. I have found her point-earning opportunities to be much more limited. For example, a year ago when you could get 25-50K for signing up for Amex PRG, she got only 15K. I think there just aren't as many different cards available in Canada, as well.

If you somehow have access to the USA market, you can look at cards with no international transaction fee.

My wife now has a SSN, but last summer, before she did, she was able to get a USA-based Amex Skymiles card, using our USA address, but relying on her existing relationship with Amex in Canada. She had to have her name on a USA bank account for 30 days though, which she did.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by redtop43
I have a limited amount of experience in this, as I live in the USA and my wife lives in Canada. I have found her point-earning opportunities to be much more limited. For example, a year ago when you could get 25-50K for signing up for Amex PRG, she got only 15K. I think there just aren't as many different cards available in Canada, as well.

If you somehow have access to the USA market, you can look at cards with no international transaction fee.

My wife now has a SSN, but last summer, before she did, she was able to get a USA-based Amex Skymiles card, using our USA address, but relying on her existing relationship with Amex in Canada. She had to have her name on a USA bank account for 30 days though, which she did.
The question is, did she get the sign-up bonus for what I'm guessing was the Amex Global Transfer.

And the 15K for the Amex PRG in Canada is not too bad -- first year is free, which I think is much rarer for us up here.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 11:11 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by mabramovich
Such a thread would be really useful
Such as this one located in Credit Card Programs?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...canadians.html
Old Jan 10, 2012, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by mmd643

Thank you so much in advance for any help you guys can provide. I really appreciate it.
lol...travel-hacking

There are several credit cards in Canada which can be applied and re-applied for over and over again, each with varying levels of sign up bonuses and annual fees

AMEX GOLD REWARDS
AMEX SPG
AMEX AEROPLAN GOLD/PLATINUM
CIBC AVENTURA
CIBC AEROGOLD
CAPITAL ONE DELTA MC
MBNA CHOICE HOTELS MC
MBNA ALASKA AIR MC
RBC AVION
Old Jan 10, 2012, 6:29 pm

My situation:

Amex Gold charge card : applied on August 19, 2011
Amex Gold charge card : canceled on November 19, 2011
Amex Gold charge card : applied on December 1, 2011
(Denied as the system deemed I had 2 applications submitted for the same product, and advised to wait for the welcoming package) Did not wait long enough.

Amex Gold Business charge card : Applied on December 17, 2011
Amex Gold Business charge card : Approved on December 21, 2011
Amex Gold Business charge card : Received cards on January 9, 2012

MBNA MasterCard(r): Applied in November 2011
(Denied : excessive credit inquiries, I must have submitted twice for the same card or something)
MBNA MasterCard Optimum : Received card on December 1, 2011

Its possible to have more than one MBNA Smart Cash cards at the same time the rep told me on chat.

In the last 2 years obtained 12 new cards. My wife received 9 cards.
In the same time frame, I canceled 5 cards some of which were "old". Now I understand the cards with significant credit history I should have kept.

Last edited by 1Newflyer; Jan 10, 2012 at 7:06 pm
Old Jan 11, 2012, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
My situation:

Amex Gold charge card : applied on August 19, 2011
Amex Gold charge card : canceled on November 19, 2011
Amex Gold charge card : applied on December 1, 2011
(Denied as the system deemed I had 2 applications submitted for the same product, and advised to wait for the welcoming package) Did not wait long enough.

Amex Gold Business charge card : Applied on December 17, 2011
Amex Gold Business charge card : Approved on December 21, 2011
Amex Gold Business charge card : Received cards on January 9, 2012

MBNA MasterCard(r): Applied in November 2011
(Denied : excessive credit inquiries, I must have submitted twice for the same card or something)
MBNA MasterCard Optimum : Received card on December 1, 2011

Its possible to have more than one MBNA Smart Cash cards at the same time the rep told me on chat.

In the last 2 years obtained 12 new cards. My wife received 9 cards.
In the same time frame, I canceled 5 cards some of which were "old". Now I understand the cards with significant credit history I should have kept.
Thanks -- this is super useful information.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 9:52 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by rankourabu
lol...travel-hacking

There are several credit cards in Canada which can be applied and re-applied for over and over again, each with varying levels of sign up bonuses and annual fees

AMEX GOLD REWARDS
AMEX SPG
AMEX AEROPLAN GOLD/PLATINUM
CIBC AVENTURA
CIBC AEROGOLD
CAPITAL ONE DELTA MC
MBNA CHOICE HOTELS MC
MBNA ALASKA AIR MC
RBC AVION
Great term! Travel hacking is how we manage our F trips as neither of us flies much for business.

There are also various business equivalents of these cards. I do have a business but there are many reports of folks getting them that are not business owners. Also, get a free account on Great Canadian Rebates and apply for these cards through there when they show up as you can get cash back deals.

Keep checking the aeroplan forum as well since occasionally the odd super deal comes up. For example a couple of years ago we earned 60,000 Aeroplan miles from Rexall over a weekend with a couple of hours worth of effort. Also, the Aeroplanplus Platinum card that some folks were able to get, earn the 50K points, and then get their $499 annual fee mostly reimbursed after prorating the one month's ownership. Oh and the the Sobey's KD loophole out East later last year.

Where there's a will there's a way. The lousy part is the devaluation of the AE miles but for F travel (not on Air Canada), it's still worth it IMO.

Last edited by RoninTech; Jan 11, 2012 at 10:15 pm Reason: Added link to discussion on travelhacking AE
Old Jan 24, 2012, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by mabramovich
Also, other questions, for example, can one simultaneously hold a CIBC Aerogold and Aventura and get the sign-up bonus for both cards?
Yes
The sign up bonus are not linked to each other or how many cards you have with them.
Meaning that yes, you can apply for both Aventura and Aerogold, and have both cards. I dont recommend appling for both at the same time, unless you know your credit score is excellant.

Last edited by simba8; Jan 24, 2012 at 7:00 pm
Old Jan 25, 2012, 1:18 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Asia Miles, Avion
The TD First Class Travel Visa is a solid choice and quite flexible. We did a ton of analysis on the options that are out there (taking true redemption rates in to account, annual fees, etc.) and we found the CapitalOne Aspire MasterCard to have the best program, with very few restrictions.

That said, our experience has been less than great since we have gone overseas with the card:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...rd-canada.html

We'll likely be switching to the TD First Class Visa, which edges out the competitors if you have a Select Service account (free with a $5K balance) that brings the annual cost of the card down to $0. You can also get a US Dollar card for $0 to avoid the 2.5% forex fee. And if that isn't enough, you get free international ATM withdrawals with a Select Service account. For a traveler, TD seems to offer quite a lot for only holding $5K in cash in your account.

Last edited by mia; Jan 25, 2012 at 1:22 pm Reason: Repair link
Old Jan 25, 2012, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by suter
The TD First Class Travel Visa is a solid choice and quite flexible. We did a ton of analysis on the options that are out there (taking true redemption rates in to account, annual fees, etc.) and we found the CapitalOne Aspire MasterCard to have the best program, with very few restrictions.

That said, our experience has been less than great since we have gone overseas with the card:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...rd-canada.html

We'll likely be switching to the TD First Class Visa, which edges out the competitors if you have a Select Service account (free with a $5K balance) that brings the annual cost of the card down to $0. You can also get a US Dollar card for $0 to avoid the 2.5% forex fee. And if that isn't enough, you get free international ATM withdrawals with a Select Service account. For a traveler, TD seems to offer quite a lot for only holding $5K in cash in your account.
So, I have the TD card and its o.k.
For the no annual fee if you have the account its a no brainer for booking flights because of the approx 5% back on travel when you book with TD expedia (+ 1000 points with expedia). Im not a complete fan of expedia because I have found cheaper hotels elsewhere, so if you dont book with expedia, you lose out on maxing out on the points.

The insurances are mostly through TD Insurnace, but they do outsource the handling of some of their claims... which from my own experience the customer service was awful (but they did handle the claim). I find in general that Amex has better insurances in terms of flight delay and if I recall correctly delayed luggage...I cant recall if TD has either of those.

TD Visa customer service is good.

I dont use (but have) the USD card, because I dont make large enough USD purchases to make it worth while but its good to have just in case.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 9:25 am

Canadian Credit Card Strategy?

I'm going to move to Canada soon (Montreal) and wanted some advice on which credit card should I choose there and what general strategy to follow. Although I have read lots of articles, follow several blogs (Brian "The Points guy", Ben "Lucky", Darious, Rewards Canada, Gary, Mommy Points, etc) and just finished the Nicholas Kralev book, I'm fairly new to the miles and points game.

I got really interested 8 months ago when I could successfully redeem some miles for a NY trip and after losing 21.000 Flying Blue miles since I let them expire (ouch!). To make a long story short, before that, lack of opportunities and ignorance about how to earn and redeem miles in Venezuela (where I live) usually put me off.

My profile

Airlines
Oneworld: AAdvantage: 200.000 miles (mostly through everyday spending with the Citibank card)
Star Alliance: Aeroplan: 5.000 (7.000 by the time I get there)
Skyteam: zero (Still missing those hard-earned FB miles)
And some other orphan miles

Hotels

Marriott: ~11.000 points
Voila Hotels: 5.000 points

My wife has nearly 55.000 AAdvantage miles and almost 10.000 with Continental (now United). She lost even more miles than me with AF Flying Blue. I am now monitoring all our accounts with Award Wallet. We have a 2 year-old soon and another one on the way.

My goals

They are loosely defined but could be summed up as:

- Aspirational trips: To go to some place far away and exotic but where revenue tickets are expensive (Asia, South Pacific maybe) to get the most bang for my bucks. Business or coach will do it since I feel I don't want to burn all the miles in one or two trips. Once I get more miles in a somewhat easy way (sign up bonuses, minimum spending, etc.) I think I'll be less stingy. Since almost all my miles are in AA, business in Cathay in a long haul route (YYZ/JFK/ORD-HKG) is my aspirational trip. I like Europe and I have read some nice things about BA business class but fuel surcharges and UK taxes make it less appealing. However, with a family of (soon to be) four, I think this goal is getting unrealistic :S

- NY trips: My wife have family there and tickets to/from Canada are expensive on a per-mile basis, therefore I think we will be fine accumulating and redeeming BA Avios points (9.000 points to JFK, 12.000 to ORD, round trips). I would also like to know Chicago, and those routes are covered by AA (using American Eagle I guess). The card that I'm thinking of is the RBC infinite Avion with a 15.000 points sign in bonus and I just read about a new one with a potential sign in bonus of 50.000 points. I don't think I'll be able to get that one though.

- Trips to/from Venezuela: Although I'm not planning to visit that often I would like to keep earning AA miles since each award cost 30.000 miles round trip during low season (coach). Any other cheaper alternative between Montreal and Caracas I'm not considering here?. I just told my parents that their first Canada trip will be on me.

Bottom line: I don't know whether I'm going to get miles by flying or staying at hotels, definitely not in the near future and I guess I won't be able to churn cards at first. But I would like to pick a credit card for my everyday spending in Montreal, right from the start.

The choices

So, would you go with:
- RBC and BA Avios (the strongest candidate for me so far and apparently it does not require minimum income)
- I have also read about SPG program with the Amex credit card. Is it as attractive in Canada as it is in the US? I know the sign in bonus are not that generous. This would be my second choice. One of the strongest points would be that my hotel points are almost non-existent
- Anything related to AA like the TD cards? Although the conversion rate of 1$=0,75 Addvantage mile is not very attractive
- or would you go with any card from Aeroplan (CIBC for example) since it's the "local guy", and theoretically with more opportunities to earn miles? Again, recent devaluation and fuel surcharges on Air Canada and its partners make it not that attractive.

Any other alternatives I haven't thought of? I'm still doing my research (and read several threads about Canadian credit cards) but wanted to hear opinions from the FF community

If you have a blog, feel free to post this to your readers

Thank you all

Last edited by jorgeluis500; Mar 5, 2012 at 4:03 pm
Old Mar 5, 2012, 6:54 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SPG, US, DL
The TD AA is gone since last year
Old Mar 5, 2012, 9:35 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
You have obviously read other posts and noticed that people often omit the information about what they have and what they want. But alas, you also omitted a couple important details, like how much you fly and how much you spend. If you are spending $25,000 a year and want a couple of business class tickets to Bora Bora, you are clearly going to have to wait for your kids to graduate high school (just a slight exaggeration there) or make it with signup bonuses and card churns. If you spend $100,000 a year and also fly a lot, the equation is different.

Canadian signup bonuses are far worse than in the USA. However you will find some cards with better earning rates that 1 point per mile. Air Canada has generally pretty good mile rates for award flights, but high fees. A lot of people with Air Canada miles use them almost exclusively on Star Alliance partners.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 2:55 pm

Hi jorgeluis500 I am in this game for around 8 months and hopefully I can answer your questions.

First it really depends on which airlines you oftern fly with. If you are going to fly with OneWorld Airlines (i.e. Cathay Pacific, American Airlines, British Airways, etc), get the RBC Avion Platinum/Infinite. They have 15000 sign up bonus and usually have 50% transfer bonus to British Airways Avios twice yearly.
BA Avios can be used in most airlines in OneWorld Alliance, thus it is pretty valuable as essentially you get 1.5 points per dollar spent. The annual fee is $120 for this card.

If you are going to fly with Star Alliance airlines (i.e. Air Canada, United, Singapore Airlines etc...) more often, get the American Express Gold Card or Business Gold. They do have 1:1 transfer ratio to Aeroplan and occasionally have ~20-25% transfer bonus to Aeroplan so when you do the math, it is about $1.2 per dollar spent, which is a very effective way to collect Aeroplan miles.

Currently AMEX gold offer 15000 points bonus and AMEX business gold offer 25000 points bonus if you spend $500 or $3000 first 3 months upon approval respectively.

Charge your gas, groceries and travel bills to the regular AMEX Gold as you get 2 points per dollar spent. It is so easy to rack up the points from everyday purchase using that card! Let's say you spend $1000 on gas, meaning you get 2000 points and with the occasional 20% trasfer bonus, you will get 2400 points, which is 2.4 Aeroplan miles per dollar spent! Both cards have first year annual fee waived!)

Ask/PM me if you have any questions.

(If you want to get the referral links for those cards, pm me, I'm very happy to refer you )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.