Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Has anyone tried PenFed Premium Travel Rewards redemption?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2010, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, PC Platinum, Hyatt Platinum

I have this card and approaching the 100k points. Has anyone booked a flight through the rewards?

Airline Travel Redemption
You may redeem Points for airline tickets as follows:
Ticket up to $250: 15,000 Points
Ticket between $251–$350: 25,000 Points
Ticket between $351–$500: 35,000 Points
Ticket between $501–$750: 50,000 Points
Ticket between $751–$999: 70,000 Points
Ticket over $1000: 100,000 Points

Is it similar to the Thank you points where you can book a $6k ticket for 100k points and then call the airline and change the itinerary?
Old Sep 28, 2010, 8:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Platinum, BA Gold
are you using the PenFed Amex? If so, I believe you may be using an incorrect reward chart. This information is directly from their website:

Ticket cost $250: 15,625 Points
Ticket cost $350: 21,875 Points
Ticket cost $500: 31,250 Points
Ticket cost $750: 46,875 Points
Ticket cost $1,000: 62,500 Points
Old Sep 28, 2010, 9:03 pm

Penfed rewards chart

I don't know the exact chart numbers but noticed there's a general pattern when I was testing out redeeming for different routes:

The points needed usually is about "two thirds" the price of ticket
say the ticket price is $150, you will need approximately 10k points, which actually works better than some other rewards points such as usbanks flexperks, which starts redemption at 20k on a ticket up to $400.

I've tried flying from IAH to SIN, it shows 77k points, (or $1100 on Singapore Airline website)

However, I would not use it to redeem on international airlines - some airlines have restriction on ticket class that can collect miles. It looks like there's no way to find out what ticket class you are getting.

If you redeem for domestic airlines, chances are, you will also collect miles on the flight, but I'm not quite sure.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 12:29 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.
I used the rewards for an OW PIT-LAX on AA. It took 9900 points and the ticket was about $150ai. It took a few days (over the weekend) to ticket and I got an AA 6 letter record locator. I called the AA Plat line and was able to add my FF#, get preferred seats, and put in for upgrades. ^

Their online system is "buggy" and it takes some doing to book a ticket. They will auto populate the zip code with zip+4----take out the last 4 numbers and it should work. It will say "invalid e-mail" but taking out the 4 zip # will take care of the problem.

Their support line is pretty decent. I was told that each point buys 1.5 cents in ticket. Best value is booking air tickets as one gets 5X points for airline purchases. (even my Admirals club membership counted as 5X ^)

Bottom line: Using the card for buying airline tickets and using the rewards for booking airline tickets makes it worth 7.5 cents per $ spent. Decent.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 10:50 am

Programs: UA MP, Delta Sky Miles, AA Advantage
If you use Travelocity AmEx and go to travelocity via Ultimate Rewards mall you could get about 14% off your ticket:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...l#post21323487

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.