Wiki Posts
Search

Looking for a MasterCard

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2010, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta GM, Delta SC
Looking for a MasterCard

I already have the DL AMEX, and am looking for a MC to supplement. I'll be spending ~$500/mo where my AMEX and Visa aren't accepted. From what I have read here and elsewhere on the web, the best offers that I have found are the 35K AA MC from Citi, and the 25K++ CO MC from Chase. Up until now I mostly fly DL, though have flown a little CO (~2000 mi) and no AA.

I have booked all of my travel through the end of the year and am scheduled to be making DL FO on 12/31. This would make me think that I would continue to try to fly DL next year (at least on paid flights). Looking at reward travel on both *A and AA, they seem to have similar availability on lower mileage flights (both seemingly better than DL). The main difference that I can see is the free checked bag on CO (which I really like on my DL card), but is this worth the intro mileage difference? I would really like for the 50K AA offer to be eligible on the MC.

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

Matt
Old Oct 28, 2010, 10:59 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by mjgwi
I already have the DL AMEX, and am looking for a MC to supplement. I'll be spending ~$500/mo where my AMEX and Visa aren't accepted. From what I have read here and elsewhere on the web, the best offers that I have found are the 35K AA MC from Citi, and the 25K++ CO MC from Chase. Up until now I mostly fly DL, though have flown a little CO (~2000 mi) and no AA.

I have booked all of my travel through the end of the year and am scheduled to be making DL FO on 12/31. This would make me think that I would continue to try to fly DL next year (at least on paid flights). Looking at reward travel on both *A and AA, they seem to have similar availability on lower mileage flights (both seemingly better than DL). The main difference that I can see is the free checked bag on CO (which I really like on my DL card), but is this worth the intro mileage difference? I would really like for the 50K AA offer to be eligible on the MC.

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

Matt
Are you dead set on a MC has opposed to a Visa? If so, any particular reason? I have a few suggestions, but they are all Visa.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 10:59 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by mjgwi
I would really like for the 50K AA offer to be eligible on the MC.
Welcome to Flyertalk.

Is there a reason you would prefer a Mastercard over a VISA? I realize they aren't as interchangeable as they were a few years back.

Your profile does not mention your geographical location, but if you live in an area served by SunTrust banks have you considered their Mastercard check card (debit card), which earns Skymiles?
Old Oct 28, 2010, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta GM, Delta SC
Yes, I am set on the MC, or Discover, though I haven't seen much anything on Discover cards. I do about $500/mo at Sam's club-Unfortunately not Costco in NOLA- that I'm currently writing checks for since they take neither my AMEX nor Visa (non reward free card). I'm hoping to effectively replace as backup for when my AMEX is not accepted (which is currently only $30-50/mo)

Matt
Old Oct 28, 2010, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by CMHFlyerOH
Are you dead set on a MC has opposed to a Visa? If so, any particular reason? I have a few suggestions, but they are all Visa.
He clearly said it was for places that don't take Visa or Amex......

I am trying to get the NG FCU Mastercard myself - it is 1.5% cashback and they deposit it to your account every March. There's a non-profit organization you can join to get in to the credit union. We'll see what happens...
Old Oct 29, 2010, 5:04 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, HH Diamond
If you are a Sam's Club Business Plus or Advantage Plus member, look at the Sam's Club Discover or Business Discover. No annual fee, and gives up to 2% cash back.
https://www.onlinecreditcenter2.com/...US_DualApp.pdf
SAM’S CLUB ADVANTAGE PLUS MEMBERS
Amount of Year-to-Date Purchases Percentage of Purchase
(including the current Purchase) Eligible for Rebate
Upto $1,500 0.25%
$1,500.01 - $3,000 0.50%
$3,000.01 - $5,000 1.00%
$5,000.01 - $10,000 1.75%
$10,000.01 - $1,000,000 2.00%
With your current level of spending of $550/mo, this card would earn less than 1% overall, but if your Amex spend is significant and you change some of your Amex spend to this card, it may have a better return than what your Delta miles are worth, depending on your flying habits.

Last edited by budblab; Oct 29, 2010 at 5:19 am Reason: add
Old Oct 29, 2010, 5:43 am

Can you buy gift cards at Walmart with your preferred card then use them at Sam's?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.