Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Unvaccinated child travelling UK to USA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2023, 5:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: BD Gold, BAEC Gold, Hilton HHonors

Holiday to USA in the next few weeks from UK, no travel to anywhere else in recent past. Both adults fully vaccinated. 4 year old child not vaccinated. All British Citizens / British passports. Could anyone give me a simple guide to what we need to do in relation to our child before/after arrival to comply with Covid restrictions?

Thanks
Old Mar 6, 2023, 7:33 am

Programs: EuroBonus, FlyingBlue Gold
No vaccine requirement for children under 18. Enjoy your trip.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2023, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Main source continues to be .GOV https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...virus-covid-19

Which indeed concurs with the advice above
Old Mar 7, 2023, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Thanks - yes I've seen that and read the various pages on CDC / US Border etc websites too. My question is about the mechanics of what test "may be needed", how this is arranged / declared etc for unvaccinated child... the available information seems very light on detail!
Old Mar 8, 2023, 2:36 am

There is no system for testing and reporting of unvaccinated children. Enjoy your holiday.
LETTERBOY and so3003 like this.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 12:47 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
I presume the section on gov.uk you're referring to is this one:

Originally Posted by gov.uk
After arrival in the US, children 17 and under that are not fully vaccinated may be required to attest that they will take a test 3 to 5 days and will self-isolate should any symptoms develop or if they test positive. A parent or other authorized person should attest on behalf of a passenger 17 and under. More details are on the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
If you'd asked this question a year ago, I'd have said the US was set up to provide this testing with a potential degree of traceability/proof through a passport number. If you walked round New York City, particularly Manhattan, you'd find a free mobile testing facility on just about every block downtown that would provide you with an instant LFT and certified PCR result within a very short period.

Now, you'd probably have to hunt extremely hard to find anything, and the further from major cities you went the more difficult it would become.

So the practicality of this is that it's really unlikely anyone will direct you to do this, as it's difficult to undertake with traceability so there's absolutely no way whatsoever of checking it's happened - no-one will check on your way out either, so you're not suddenly going to find your ESTA has been revoked. The attestation simply isn't worth the paper it's printed on. If you really want to be certain, take a self-test kit with you.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 5:16 am
Original Poster

Thanks for replies
I've put in our vaccine status via the travel docs.ba.com link and it processed instantaneously for myself and mrsso3003 but juniorso3003 is still pending (18hrs later) - he being the unvaccinated child without any documents uploaded, beyond me checking the appropriate boxes on the attestation pages. Any ideas?! Keen to be able to OLCI so we don't end up losing row 1 for domestic and TATL segments!!
Old Mar 18, 2023, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Update - I was clearly just being impatient, I've had the final verification email now. Hopefully OLCI will proceed uneventfully!!

Looking forward to being back in the sky - my first F trip since pre-pandemic!!
mikeyfly likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.