Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

Got my first ever Covid diagnosis after July 4 travel - was no mask mandate to blame?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Got my first ever Covid diagnosis after July 4 travel - was no mask mandate to blame?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2022, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I find fascinating these "caught covid on the flight/airport/whatever" posts - never considering the incubation time and never even thinking, that maybe they caught it the day before the flight at the corner coffeeshop.

Time to accept the fact that it's not "IF" but "WHEN" one gets infected.
shillard, DenverBrian, BLV and 6 others like this.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by lalala
My Taller Half contracted COVID while flying or I should say -- taking public transport to airport, waiting in security, in the lounge with the unmasked etc. It was a mileage run so definitely not on the ground at her final destination. She's masked up 98% of the time, so it likely happened when she was eating or drinking the plane.

She's fine now and didn't have terrible symptoms, but as soon as she landed she wentf for a PCR test and boom - she was positive.
why do people still believe the masks stop you from getting Covid? especially cloth masks.
shillard, ksucats, BLV and 7 others like this.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by theplayer
why do people still believe the masks stop you from getting Covid? especially cloth masks.
FWIW most people still wearing masks seem to be wearing either surgical (which have questionable value these days), or more likely KN95 or N95.

It seems like these masks work well for doctors and nurses treating Covid

And the whole point of masking is that masks are as important in preventing you your I from expelling Covid as opposed to preventing your or I from getting it. Broad masking is source control
GUWonder, downinit and jebr like this.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Adelphos
FWIW most people still wearing masks seem to be wearing either surgical (which have questionable value these days), or more likely KN95 or N95.

It seems like these masks work well for doctors and nurses treating Covid

And the whole point of masking is that masks are as important in preventing you your I from expelling Covid as opposed to preventing your or I from getting it. Broad masking is source control
I see a logical twist here - do medical personnel wear masks to avoid them infecting patients??

The medical personnel treating covid patient are usually wearing slightly more protection than a simple mask.You're welcome to follow suit if you feel so inclined.

shillard, BLV, LETTERBOY and 1 others like this.

Last edited by WilcoRoger; Jul 14, 2022 at 12:47 am
Old Jul 13, 2022, 11:53 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
I see a logical twist here - do medical personnel wear masks to avoid them infecting patients??
Yes, they do it for that too.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Yes, they do it for that too.
Aren't covid patients per defintionem already infected by covid? (nitpicking here )
DenverBrian, ksucats and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 12:49 am
Suspended

Aren't covid patients per defintionem already infected by covid? (nitpicking here )
Covid isn’t the only disease medical care workers can pass onto patients. And Covid-infected patients may not necessarily benefit from being exposed even more to other SARS-COV-2 carriers with perhaps a different variant to spread to the the patient already infected with Covid.
downinit likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 2:44 am

My Taller Half contracted COVID while flying or I should say -- taking public transport to airport, waiting in security, in the lounge with the unmasked etc. It was a mileage run so definitely not on the ground at her final destination. She's masked up 98% of the time, so it likely happened when she was eating or drinking the plane.

She's fine now and didn't have terrible symptoms, but as soon as she landed she wentf for a PCR test and boom - she was positive.
Your taller half got it somewhere else as there is this thing called "incubation time".

You don't get infected somewhere and test positive a few hours later. It takes several days.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 11:07 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by CyBeR
Your taller half got it somewhere else as there is this thing called "incubation time".

You don't get infected somewhere and test positive a few hours later. It takes several days.
I edited my post -to explain the timeline-- she flew, came back, left again and three or four days later, started to feel crappy and took a pcr test and was positive.

between the time she landed and the time she returned to our house she was around no one but our dog

Last edited by lalala; Jul 14, 2022 at 11:12 am
Old Jul 14, 2022, 12:53 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
She's masked up 98% of the time, so it likely happened when she was eating or drinking the plane.
What kind of a mask?
Old Jul 14, 2022, 2:31 pm
Suspended

between the time she landed and the time she returned to our house she was around no one but our dog
Dogs can get Covid. Whether infected dogs have at times spread it back to people, not sure.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 7:35 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
I find fascinating these "caught covid on the flight/airport/whatever" posts - never considering the incubation time and never even thinking, that maybe they caught it the day before the flight at the corner coffeeshop.

Time to accept the fact that it's not "IF" but "WHEN" one gets infected.
i think that you should also remember that many times a person can be infected but asymptomatic for the entire course of the asymptomatic 'illness'.

These people then just become vectors of the virus.
The only way to stop them would be to mask them or isolate them. And we have already seen how well that has worked in the past and currently in China.

My personal take is that practicing vigorous, frequent hand washing and avoiding fingers in the mouth, nose and eyes probably does more for me to avoid all infectious diseases than using a mask in limited circumstances in an attempt to avoid Covid.

There currently is just no feasible way to avoid a Covid transmitter at this time if I am circulating in the population at large.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 11:03 am

Even though I agree with you, 4 of us were masked, vaxed with boosts, someone behind us coughing the entire flight…3 days after flight we all currently have Covid. Sure would have nice if the attendant asked them to mask up with that cough. Currently all being treated with Paxlovid. Flight from Calgary/Utah to Detroit.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by gaobest
It’s just bad luck that you got it. You’re vaxxed and boosted - you’ve protected yourself as best as you can. .
Just bad luck? Is that your professional medical diagnosis, Dr Gaobest?

I get that masks are no fun, but with Covid cases still so high, you should still protect yourself when outside the home. Of course flying or traveling in close proximity with unmasked passengers increases risks, but you can do your part.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
No thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.